Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 13-05-19

Default NX rear inner CV joints hot

I have a 2015 NX, and for months now Iíve had an annoying knock from the rear, mainly when itís cold. Iíve replaced shocks, upper and lower trailing arm bushes, track control rods, and spring pads. Last week, I took it to Pedders, and they reckon my rear prop shaft was the problem. They even got the local drive shaft bloke around who agreed with them, that it had too much play. I replaced the prop shaft with a second hand one from QLD. Still got the noise. Tonight, I dropped in to another mechanic. I asked him to check if the rear drive shafts were a bit sloppy. He had a good feel, and while he said there wasnít too much play in them, he said they were bloody hot. I had just driven 20km at 100 kmh, but he said even then, they should not be that hot. He also mentioned that if they were that hot, they have expanded and would reduce the noise. Tonight, Iíve gotten under the rear end, and being 12 degrees and 5 hours later, theyíre cold and noisy. Still canít feel a lot of play, but the extreme heat leads me to think theyíre stuffed. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 14-05-19

Heat from CV's sounds like poor lubrication to me. If there's no excess play and the joint seems fine, then I'd try regreasing the cv. Or if you're a lazyman like me, just replace the cv and keep it as an emergency spare.
Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.