• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chopperbriggs
    • Mar 2016
    • Cheshire uk

Info needed for first job on new to me shogun/ pajero

Hi from the uk . I have just acquired a 2005 shogun elegance lwb with 140000 miles on the clock . It's got a good service history but no record of the top timing chain guide being changed .from a google search I came across this site and it's wealth info on this matter . I just need a bit more guidance so can someone advise me on the following.
    Is it ok to use the original bolts for the rocker , guide and chain tensioner.
    The parts I have on my list are rocker cover gasket , new guide , and chain tensioner gasket is there anything else I should add and lastly I could do with knowing the torque settings for the rocker bolts , guide bolts and tensioner bolts.thanks and keep up the good work .
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

It's up to you but you can change the guide with no need to remove and reset the chain tensioner.
    Also, you can also re-use the rocker cover gasket. It is a rubber gasket and doesn't need to be changed when you lift the lid.
    If you want to remove the tensioner, you will definitely need a new gasket. The part number for the gasket is ME193622 and her in Australia they are only a couple of dollars.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Chopperbriggs
      • Mar 2016
      • Cheshire uk

Thanks for the reply dan . If I do not reset the tensioner is there a technique to keeping the chain at the correct tension and is there anything I should be looking out for wear / tear on chain etc . I can hear a slight rattle while driving seems to me to be mimicking the revs but I can't pin point the noise .

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

Originally posted by Chopperbriggs View Post
        Thanks for the reply dan . If I do not reset the tensioner is there a technique to keeping the chain at the correct tension and is there anything I should be looking out for wear / tear on chain etc . I can hear a slight rattle while driving seems to me to be mimicking the revs but I can't pin point the noise .
        Some people report that they try and hold the cams in position with spanners / sockets whilst they remove and replace the guide however I don't believe this is necessary. There is literally zero tension placed on the chain by the top guide.
        The only time I would consider removing and resetting the tensioner is if you have found that the nylon part of the guide is missing and the chain and guide are rubbing metal on metal.
        Your slight rattle maybe a valve rocker (tappet) that needs adjustment.
        However whilst you have the rocker cover off, use a torch to have a good look down the front of the head and make sure that all the other chain guides are still in-tact and in place.
        Cheers, Dan.
        Attached Files
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• RUGGA
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2014
          • Adelaide

I saw a post here (somewhere) where some one kept the tension of the chain, using 2 ring spanners on the cam ends, that were zip tied together to keep the tension, does that make sense?
          02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• RUGGA
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Adelaide

^
            Doh
            02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Chopperbriggs
              • Mar 2016
              • Cheshire uk

What I'll do is get the gaskets and when I open it up at least I'll have everything there if the nylon is gone . All I need now is the torque settings for the bolts does anyone have a manual handy . Thanks for replies .

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Cairns

Originally posted by Chopperbriggs View Post
                What I'll do is get the gaskets and when I open it up at least I'll have everything there if the nylon is gone . All I need now is the torque settings for the bolts does anyone have a manual handy . Thanks for replies .
                Sounds like a plan....
                Manual can be found here: http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/Manuals...ABCD%2011B.pdf
                Cheers, Dan.

Comment

• Chopperbriggs
                  • Mar 2016
                  • Cheshire uk

Great link dan . All going well I will tackle it next weekend . Thanks to all . I will post to let you blokes know how I get on. Cheers

Comment

• Chopperbriggs
                    • Mar 2016
                    • Cheshire uk

We'll finally got round to changing the top guide and this is what I found .no plastic just the chain running along the metal of the guide which has worn a track into it . Unfortunatly I thought that that was the cause of an annoying metal ticking sound but on a test drive later it's still there but not at idle .any ideas. CheersClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	976220

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X