• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • formertoyotaman
    • May 2011
    • perth

DIY dual battery: Tray modding and reusing factory battery

Here is my completed dual battery setup. I wanted to reuse the 10inch factory battery. I've used the outback accessories tray as it is made from thick powder coated steel not flimsy pressed steel like the piranha. Plus it was alot cheaper!! Only problem is it only takes a 8inch battery but by grinding off the end I could fit the 10inch factory battery.

I've used redarc controller, bussman 90amp terminal fuses. The rear setup is 15amp manual reset circuit breaker mounted on dual tray, cable to the rear to terminate into a hella plug beside factory cigarette lighter. The second battery is a 12 inch trojan 115ah deep cycle.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by formertoyotaman; 28-07-11, 06:27 PM.
  • formertoyotaman
    • May 2011
    • perth

more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Marty V
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Cranbourne, Vic

Looks like a nice neat job mate, well done.

Comment

• Jenko67
        • Jul 2011
        • Brisbane

Looks fantastic mate.. Wish I was that handy... I was thinking about getting the prianha 10inch tray which wont give me a battery with good ah.. but didn't even consider moving the factory to the back... what a great solution... The Trojan battery fits in the factory tray no worries I take it? But I wont be attempting this myself. I have had quotes so I might see what I can get sorted.

Thanks

Scott
        2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, Redarc with anderson plug and heavy duty fridge socket etc etc but I want more...

Towing - 2013 Coromal Magnum Transforma Poptop

To do list - bullbar, spotlights, polyair airbags or suspension ??? (still to decide), airtec snorkel...

Comment

• achjimmy
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2009
          • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by formertoyotaman View Post
          Here is my completed dual battery setup. I wanted to reuse the 10inch factory battery. I've used the outback accessories tray as it is made from thick powder coated steel not flimsy pressed steel like the piranha. Plus it was alot cheaper!! Only problem is it only takes a 8inch battery but by grinding off the end I could fit the 10inch factory battery.

I've used redarc controller, bussman 90amp terminal fuses. The rear setup is 15amp manual reset circuit breaker mounted on dual tray, cable to the rear to terminate into a hella plug beside factory cigarette lighter. The second battery is a 12 inch trojan 115ah deep cycle.
          Well done looks good. But what makes you think the piranha tray is pressed? By my recollection it is about the same gauge ( maybe even heavier ) than what you have used. And it is certainly folded not pressed, not that, that really makes a difference.
          Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
          MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
          99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• formertoyotaman
            • May 2011
            • perth

I stand corrected. The piranha tray is folded. If you look at the two trays side by side you will see how much stronger the outback accessories tray is. And it is black powder coated. My only criticism is that they could of made the plastic battery clamp that holds the battery in the center a bit stronger. The tray bolts directly to the engine bay. It had several predrilled holes which I used to mount my circuit breaker and redarc.

The 115ah trojan battery fits perfectly in the factory tray. Cost me around $330. The model is 27TMH.

I did it this way as I wanted to reuse the factory battery as well as fitting the biggest deep cycle in the factory tray. The bussman terminal fuses were not the cheapest option but they were dead easy to wire up and came with protective caps.
            Last edited by formertoyotaman; 29-07-11, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Jenko67
              • Jul 2011
              • Brisbane

Hi former toyota man, what Pajero do you have?I have the NT and wasn't impressed with the size second battery that could go at the back... so your solution is great...I had a look at my starting battery last night and there doesn't seem to be much movement for the original cables...how did you go?
              2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, Redarc with anderson plug and heavy duty fridge socket etc etc but I want more...

Towing - 2013 Coromal Magnum Transforma Poptop

To do list - bullbar, spotlights, polyair airbags or suspension ??? (still to decide), airtec snorkel...

Comment

• achjimmy
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by formertoyotaman View Post
                I stand corrected. The piranha tray is folded. If you look at the two trays side by side you will see how much stronger the outback accessories tray is. And it is black powder coated. My only criticism is that they could of made the plastic battery clamp that holds the battery in the center a bit stronger. The tray bolts directly to the engine bay. It had several predrilled holes which I used to mount my circuit breaker and redarc.

The 115ah trojan battery fits perfectly in the factory tray. Cost me around $330. The model is 27TMH.

I did it this way as I wanted to reuse the factory battery as well as fitting the biggest deep cycle in the factory tray. The bussman terminal fuses were not the cheapest option but they were dead easy to wire up and came with protective caps.

The TJM tray is also an excellent auxiliary tray (if you can find one) considered one of the strongest as it is nearly a full box and sells for about $150. Given the original is plastic and nearly always fails I think any of the aftermarket in metal will work

If you search for posts started by HSVrangie he has posted a drawing of a replacement tray for the OEM battery position that you can make, this allows for a larger again 13" battery to used in this position after moving the start battery to the auxiliary try.
                Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Dion
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2010
                  • Brisbane

Neat idea. Are you going to beef up the factory tray (I see reports of them breaking).

Where did you source the bussman terminal fuses from?
                  2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Hastings

bussed fuse blocks are available from Arrid. blue seas item.
                    6 fuse $35.00

page 57

Michael.
                    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• Bing
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • Currently QLD

Not a recommendation just a heads up... they say they manufacturer them.

2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

Comment

• achjimmy
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                        Not a recommendation just a heads up... they say they manufacturer them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Batt...item45fb5f64bd
                        Don't MM fit twin batteries to cars in some markets? If so for the life of me I don't understand why they don't offer the tray as an option here.
                        Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                        99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• achjimmy
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by HSV Rangie View Post
                          bussed fuse blocks are available from Arrid. blue seas item.
                          6 fuse $35.00

page 57

Michael.

I can't open that page on this device but I know the one you mean, there is a 6 fuse and 12 fuse unit? They are also available through whitworths, bias, and battery world. Blue seas make excellent electrical items for boats, etc very high quality.
                          Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                          99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Hastings

I used 2 of these:

1 under bonnet.
                            1 down back of car feeding accesories in back.

I found Arrid 20-30% of other places selling them.

They also sell Carlin type switches. (ARB style).

MIchael.
                            2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• formertoyotaman
                              • May 2011
                              • perth

Mines a 2011 NT platinum 3.2l DID. There is enough length in the factory terminals to shift them across. The negative terminal was easy the positive terminal required a little convincing as it ends up sitting flush against the fuse box.

The outback accessory tray came from lifestyle 4wd in morley. They are behind DVG mitsubishi. Found them great to deal with. The terminals/fuses and battery I got from 12 volts store in welshpool www.12volt.com.au They aren't the cheapest but they sell everything you need. They have an online store. Redarc I obtained from evilbay.

Just a tip if you are planning DIY: Feed the cable through the firewall first (you need 6m to get to the back) and mount the redarc and circuit breakers onto the tray before bolting it into the engine bay I kept dropping wing nuts and screws through the engine bay never to be found again. Also on the trojan battery the positive terminal fuse needs to be turned upside down or else it is touching the bonnet.
                              Last edited by formertoyotaman; 29-07-11, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X