Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 01-01-20

Default Oil in Coolant-NS. What to do?

Havenít driven the 3.8l NS much as kids have left home and itís just wife & myself. Did a 100k service couple years ago and dropped & flushed coolant as well as change water pump, can belt etc. Noticed that the coolant had some oil in it but trans oil as engine all fine. Just completed a few thousand kms shuffling relatives around and now it looks like there is a bit of oil once again in overflow container. No overheating or running problems with truck and it pulls like a school boy on the odd occasion Iím doing a local coal run with 3.5t on back.

What is the best way to determine where this is coming from?
Old 02-01-20

Answering my own question my research indicates 2 possible areas that could fail which results in oil contaminating the coolant.

First is the radiator where trans oil is cooled and second is a heat exchanger located near the engine block or even engine itself.

Iím familiar with the rad but not the other. Not 100% sure on how to check systems or even understand which oil is getting into coolant.

Any insight from others on likely locations to inspect.?
Old 02-01-20

Default Not Sure

I am definitely no motor mechanic, but I had my EGR Heat exchanger off my diesel Pajero a few weeks ago, and I don't see that there was an opportunity for Oil to get into coolant there. Exhaust gasses yes... but oil??
My son had a really thorough test of his radiator done a few months ago, where they used LPG.
Saddly his ended up being a cracked head, so I hope your luck is better.
Old 02-01-20

Not a diesel so no EGR on my petrol NS. Changed spark plugs when I did the cam belt and all looked good. Thinking itís trans oil in coolant as it doesnít pressure up from engine and sludge in overflow smells more like the Penrite ATF Iíve used.

Keep in mind that this is not a recent occurrence as Iíve had signs of oil for the past 4 years and did several coolant changes within this period. Guessing itís simply a small seep last an O ring somewhere.
Old 02-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benckj View Post
Not a diesel so no EGR on my petrol NS. Changed spark plugs when I did the cam belt and all looked good. Thinking itís trans oil in coolant as it doesnít pressure up from engine and sludge in overflow smells more like the Penrite ATF Iíve used.

Keep in mind that this is not a recent occurrence as Iíve had signs of oil for the past 4 years and did several coolant changes within this period. Guessing itís simply a small seep last an O ring somewhere.
If it is ATF in the coolant, I would suspect the trans cooler in the radiator may be the culprit.
Has the trans fluid level dropped at all? Keep a close watch on the trans fluid for any contamination, even though you mention it has been OK so far.

Is it the original 10 to 14 year old radiator still in the car?
There have been a few of these radiator/trans cooler leaks on here with the Paj, although no where near as many as on cars like Falcons which appear more prone to this fault.
I would try to solve it, as a damaged trans is big $$$$.
Old 02-01-20

Could be oil cooler, trans cooler in radiator or head gasket. Check trans fluid for water and engine oil for water. Water in trans is probably worse case.
02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo, Cat Delete, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22Ē Black Rhino wheels, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter

99 Challenger 2.8td auto Sold
Old 02-01-20

That has been my worry which is why I dropped trans fluid last year to inspect and replace. It all looked perfectly fine so thought my issue wasnít from there. Have been watching fluid level and it is unchanged. I suspect itís only a small amount seeping through so would like to solve before it gets worse. Any recommendations from on how to determine where problem is?
Old 03-01-20

Thinking the oil cooler within radiator may be my problem as from a little research this has caused issues on other Pajeros. Rather than replace or repair radiator I think it might be best to install a seperate oil cooler which will seperate the two components. Looks like I can get a universal kit for about $100 that should give me better trans cooling when I tow.

Any comments on going this route?
Old 03-01-20
Valued Member

I think some people did this in the past - you might find their threads with a search.

In case you are unaware, I believe the Paj has 2 trans coolers - 1 in the radiator & 1 separate cooler behind the front grille. Unsure if this will help or hinder your plan. I like the idea of keeping everything separate & although I wonder why the car makers put them in the radiators?

If there is a leak in there, I wonder if it may let coolant out at some stage after your disconnect the auto?
Old 04-01-20

Good points, I will check out before ordering any parts. Might monitor the oil cooler for coolant once disconnected and if any fluid spotted I’ll block it off.

As the trans oil will be drained it is a good time to flush and re-fill with the Penrite synthetic used before. Coolant is also going to be drained flushed and refilled. Both not hard jobs however, the time & $$ are adding up.