• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

BMPRO Bluetooth battery monitor

When I upgraded my camper trailer...I decided I wanted a decent 12v BMS monitor...but this entailed wiring, cutting and undertaking some physical mods on the camper I was a bit hesitant to undertake.
    I saw an add for BMPRO bluetooth battery monitor...jumped on to YouTube and looked at a couple of vids..
    What this system is...is basically a glorified Shunt that is connect to the battery via the neg pole and via an smart phone app..gives you a reading on the "state" of your 12v batteries.
    So this product ticked a few boxes..."the no wiring issue" was one which stood out for me...the price including postage..$240.00...ouch..but I weighted up the issues..no wiring, cutting and buying a decent BMS gauge..etc..which with time taken into consideration..would be more than the $240.00 I was going to splash out.
    I had a couple of $$$$ saved from the purchase of the Campertrailer...the secondhand market for Australian built campers is a buyers market at present...so I was well under my budget..
    This product I have used for well over 12months and I can say...I am underwhelmed...the glorified Shunt has performed well...but it is the BMPRO app on the smart phone which is and has been an absolute "DOG" of a product.
    I have deleted the app...reinstalled on numerous times to no avail..as the same issues arise.
    1/. The "time remaining" of battery window does not work...and has never worked some day 1
    2/. The Bluetooth range is 3 meters at most and you have to be nearly right next to the batteries for the app to connect to the Shunt..
    3/. It has given false readings on the amount of "Charge" Amps shown.
    4/. The app does not "lock" in the bluetooth settings...so when you shut the app down..then open it up again with your bluetooth...you have to "fiddle' with the settings to get the app to reconnect with the shunt..

I contacted the BMPRO people within the first week I was using this product and complained about the App..why the problems and why there has been not updates..their response was that a new updated BMPRO coming out.at a cost of...$250.00...and I could buy that which would solve some of my issues.
    I could pack up the BMPRO and send it back to them and they will test it and see what the problem is...but I would have to pay $$$ for postage and if the issue was not found...then $$$ for the investigation.
    No Thanks...

Overall...
    1/. As a product to retrofit into an existing 12v system...10 out of 10 for ease of DIY..for it took me 20 minutes to fit the Shunt and get the monitor working.
    2/. As for the smart phone app that comes with the product...1 out of 10 and I am being generous...putting it mildly...it is the " Pitts"

Would I buy one...nah..for I believe the BMPRO product is better with a complete BMPRO fit out as a whole system in a caravan etc..than as I used it as a retrofit.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Did they ever offer you a refund (less shipping - I wouldn't complain about that)? At the very least, good customer service would've offered an exchange unit.

No offer of a discount to upgrade?

Requesting payment for investigating a complaint of poor performance? That sounds to me like they have had too many returns that they couldn't fault, which leads me to think it's not a well designed, robust system.

In my opinion, they sound like a company that don't stand behind their product, so I'll steer clear.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pajaru
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2013
      • Perth

This may be a case for the AAAC

As the Product is "not fit for purpose" and maybe "Not as described"

That the path I would take first with the supplier then with the AAAC

Did they ever offer you a refund (less shipping - I wouldn't complain about that)?
      I would also want the shipping cost as I believe that I should not have to suffer a financial
      lost for purchasing a product that is "Not fit for purpose" or is faulty.
      Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
      To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I,ve been mucking around with camper battery set ups for years. I now run a Matson battery monitor on my Camper batteries and my NW aux batteries. Bluetooth and at the price I wouldnt bother getting anything else.

Simple and cheap enough. So long as you know the voltage that's all you really need. Doesn't matter how many amps are going in or out. So long as you can see the voltage you will know whether or not you need more input, more battery storage or if things are going well. I also use a Victron Bluetooth MPPT regulator to see solar input. Another handy tool.

I,d be ringing up and demanding a new unit. Your not the first to have experienced issues with this product.

Good luck.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

BMPRO have replied after I sent them a letter showing "screen shots" of the problems that I am having...which has now added to a new problem.
          The BMRO app on my phone flashes a warning that the batteries are below my 50% threshold level..but then again when I go into the instruments on the app home screen..the volts read 12.6v. Thinking that this is rather "schizoid" message I was shown via the app...I went and got my volt meter out and it showed 12.5v.
          A BMRO tech has asked me to take a photograph of my battery setup especially the wiring of the batteries..which I will do, for I want to give the product a "decent go" and try to get to the bottom of the problem.
          It might be just a simple fix..Call me persistent...
          If it doesn't work out...well, I'll just sent it back to BMPRO and ask for a refund.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Sounds like a dodgy unit. Expensive piece of kit. There are now many battery monitoring solutions ..not all bluetooth or wi-fi. Here is one that is cheap and can be mounted on youe camper. As I said Pete, I just go by the voltage. HAVE DONE FOR YEARS. wITH AGM YOU KNOW AT WHAT VOLTAGE THE AMOUNT OF LIFE LEFT IN THE BATTERY. iF YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND JUST WANT A SIMPLE BLUETOOTH MONITOR FOR VOLTS ONLY...GET THE mATSON. gOOD LUCK.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• 2bad4u
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Perth, Western Australia

Any update on this Peter? Their app seems to be pretty buggy. I deleted the app and bypassed the BMPRO unit in my caravan (it's essentially just a big fuse box now) and run all Victron equipment which has a far superior bluetooth / app function.
              Warren
              2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
              2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• mrbitchi
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
                Any update on this Peter? Their app seems to be pretty buggy. I deleted the app and bypassed the BMPRO unit in my caravan (it's essentially just a big fuse box now) and run all Victron equipment which has a far superior bluetooth / app function.
                Would you mind saying which BMPRO model? In the process of speccing a new van and one of these is in the mix..
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• 2bad4u
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                  Would you mind saying which BMPRO model? In the process of speccing a new van and one of these is in the mix..
                  The BMPRO J35 (standard on all Jayco's now). I didn't like some of the features of it but the main thing is the solar charging is quite poor. I now run Victron SmartSolar controllers and a BMV712 monitor.
                  Warren
                  2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                  2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X