• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Widgeeman
    • Jul 2012
    • Widgee Qld

Permanent removal of spare wheel garnish

The rear of my NT had a close encounter with a tree recently - as usual the tree won! As I had the spare wheel off being repaired at the time, there was nothing there to help absorb the impact. The result was a totally wrecked piece of garnish which I had to cut off to get the spare back on. (See pics below.)

Now I've always hated this piece of plastic, and would rather have the exposed wheel (easier to remove, can check air pressure). This started me thinking about a permanent mod. The remains of the garnish on the right could be removed and a high lift jack carrier installed. Not too sure about the left yet, especially as there is the rear door handle under there.

Would need to make a bracket for number plate and lights, but don't see any problem there. Anybody know if I can permanently remove the rear fog light without any issues?

Any input would be welcome. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

Graham
    Attached Files
    Graham
    - - - - - -
    2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Widgeeman View Post
    The rear of my NT had a close encounter with a tree recently - as usual the tree won! As I had the spare wheel off being repaired at the time, there was nothing there to help absorb the impact. The result was a totally wrecked piece of garnish which I had to cut off to get the spare back on. (See pics below.)

Now I've always hated this piece of plastic, and would rather have the exposed wheel (easier to remove, can check air pressure). This started me thinking about a permanent mod. The remains of the garnish on the right could be removed and a high lift jack carrier installed. Not too sure about the left yet, especially as there is the rear door handle under there.

Would need to make a bracket for number plate and lights, but don't see any problem there. Anybody know if I can permanently remove the rear fog light without any issues?

Any input would be welcome. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

Graham
    Maybe get all the unwanted crap off and have an aluminium plate cut to cover all the body points that are now exposed. Use spacers to make it even. Probably have the plate mount under the tyre holding plate. This way you have a flat canvas from which to mount bracket for whatever. You could possibly mount an air compressor in a aluminium cover(and to keep it safe.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I feel for you. Several times, I have been reversing my NW into tight spaces, and I have been using the camera. Camera look down to the ground, and I have nearly hit a tree and also a cross brace for a carpark roof structure. Also an elevated walkway. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything, but one day... It makes you realise that modern technology isn't as good as people would have you believe.

If you look on fleabay, there are wreckers selling the offending plastic bits, but from memory, they want about $200.

Comment

• Widgeeman
        • Jul 2012
        • Widgee Qld

Dicko1 - I was thinking of separate plates for the left and right, but I like your idea of a full width plate placed under the existing mount. I was thinking about a spare wheel lift plate for larger tyres, so this might be part of the total scheme.

Erad - only going back if all else fails (or gets too hard).
        Graham
        - - - - - -
        2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I've also been toying with the idea of removing the Garnish. I haven't put any serious thought into it yet, but was thinking about offsetting the spare wheel carrier and moving the rear camera up into the dust deflector.
          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Widgeeman
            • Jul 2012
            • Widgee Qld

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
            I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I've also been toying with the idea of removing the Garnish. I haven't put any serious thought into it yet, but was thinking about offsetting the spare wheel carrier and moving the rear camera up into the dust deflector.
            I have a GL, so don't have any fancy stuff like cameras to worry about. I haven't pulled the inside trim off yet, so not sure if I'll find any problems. This will take a week or two, but I'll update every now and then.
            Graham
            - - - - - -

Comment

• Fritterbug
              Valued Member
              • May 2013
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by erad View Post
              I feel for you. Several times, I have been reversing my NW into tight spaces, and I have been using the camera. Camera look down to the ground, and I have nearly hit a tree and also a cross brace for a carpark roof structure. Also an elevated walkway. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything, but one day... It makes you realise that modern technology isn't as good as people would have you believe.

If you look on fleabay, there are wreckers selling the offending plastic bits, but from memory, they want about $200.
              Our NX at work got a new rear window when it was pretty much brand new. Manager at work reversed it into an underground CBD car space using the camera but went too far. Nudged an aircon duct and shattered the glass.

Why not just strip the door of all the wheel cover plastic and see how it looks?
              Might not need anything Other than putting the bolts back in the bolt holes.

One of our other offices has a new Prado with Kaymar dual tyre carrier. I noticed that the rear door handle is just left exposed as the black surround comes off as part of the install for door clearance. It's fine without it. Pajero might be similar.
              Incidentally the installer didn't put the 4 bolts back in the door when they removed factory tyre carrier. Would have let in a fair bit if dust and water by now.
              MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• Widgeeman
                • Jul 2012
                • Widgee Qld

Some progress - see photos.

Due to different panel heights, need for spacers, new pins and bolts for carrier, etc. have decided to go for left and right plates.

Hard to see from these photos, but crumpled panel work where hinges used to be needs attention also.
                Attached Files
                Graham
                - - - - - -

Comment

• NTX
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Will be following this with interest Graham, I have never liked the wheel carrier assembly on the Paj. Its one exterior blunder I reckon.
                  If you could re-route the camera into the spoiler at the top of your door, I think it be a superior location as well.

If you can track this vehicle down, they removed the rear garnish and from memory replaced it with a new panel to mount the wheel too.
                  2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• Langwaz
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Langwarrin

How are you liking the STZ's

Comment

• NTX
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by Langwaz View Post
                      How are you liking the STZ's
                      So far so good. They feel really good on and off road. I put them through hell back in Feb on a trip in the Alpine National park. Lots of rock ledges and shale etc and they gripped well and no cuts or chipping.
                      The only thing I have noticed is a slip in fuel economy, not heaps but its dropped.

Matt.
                      2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• NTX
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Niddrie, Melbourne.

I found a photo of the spare wheel setup on that SA Pajero, courtesy of another member on here.

Comment

• Widgeeman
                          • Jul 2012
                          • Widgee Qld

Originally posted by NTX View Post
                          I found a photo of the spare wheel setup on that SA Pajero, courtesy of another member on here.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...3&d=1383119943
                          Thanks NTX - you did better than I did.

Gee, I'd like to see more of that. The spare wheel looks as though it's been lifted, as the rear bumper is flat (and looks solid). I just don't know what all that weight is hanging from. If you lift the wheel, you can't use the original mounting points, unless he's somehow just got a cutout and used the original plus a lift kit.

I'll have another look at mine tomorrow and scratch the head a bit more.

Cheers
                          Graham
                          - - - - - -

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • doncaster east vic

How big is the difference in the panel heights? could you make a flat piece of aluminum with spacers behind and trim it out with something like this?
                            Back from the Dark side
                            NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Widgeeman
                              • Jul 2012
                              • Widgee Qld

Originally posted by NTX View Post

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...3&d=1383119943
                              I found the firm Safari Centre in South Africa and sent them an email requesting further info. So far nothing.

I pulled the wheel carrier off to experiment and noticed more damage than I first thought - pretty solid them trees! A bit of panel beating tomorrow to straighten things up a bit, and then ??

I really want to lift the spare so I can eventually get a flat rear bumper, as in the photo. (Also clearance for a trailer hitch.) But I think this means a custom lift plate, because it seems like more than the 2" standard Mitsubishi lift plate.

I'm not too fussed whether I have a full length plate or just at the sides. How to mount the spare wheel carrier to a full length plate is an issue, as I can't see it being strong enough to carry the weight under stress. So still need to use the existing mount points. But lifting it more than 2" complicates things.

As the wife wants the car for a trip to Townsville before long, I might have to do a temporary fix, and come back to it later. See what I can manage.

Cheers
                              Graham
                              - - - - - -

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X