• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Ls Challenger does the High Country

Had the chance to take another Challenger away to the High Country over Queens Brthday Wknd . This one being an LS in Deep Blue livery.
    Performance was outstanding and again was impressive on some of the low range tracks that were undertaken.

Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • Ballfyboy
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Brisbane

Nice photo's! Was it an Auto or Manual? If it was different to the last one you had, how did you think it compared?
    NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• Gus
      Administrator
      • Mar 2008
      • Traralgon. Vic

And what a great W/End it was too Dave, I must say that the Challenger performed outstandingly considering it was stock with road tyres.. On the 1st climb when I was up front I kept expecting to have to lend a hand but to my surprise, ( and a few others), the mighty new 2.5 DID showed just how good an off roader they are. My impression was raised even higher after driving in some very slippery muddy conditions, & I would say to anyone who is thinking of buying a 4WDrive that the Challenger would be hard to beat...

All I can sat is "LOVE THAT CAR"

A Few more pics:

Gus
      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

Originally posted by Ballfyboy View Post
        Nice photo's! Was it an Auto or Manual? If it was different to the last one you had, how did you think it compared?
        The other one we had over the Australia Day wknd was an XLS.
        This was an LS, although I didn't drive it I am sure there is not that much difference. Gus got to have a good drive
        Nice photos Gus
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
          The other one we had over the Australia Day wknd was an XLS.
          This was an LS, although I didn't drive it I am sure there is not that much difference. Gus got to have a good drive
          Nice photos Gus
          Dave
          Thanks Dave, & yes it was a good drive I'll be busy over the next few days but I will post up a more detailed report on my personal thoughts....

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• spook
            • May 2010
            • Albany, WA

Great pics Dave, Mine is a dark mica blue also so it gives me a bit of an idea what it will look like after a bit of real stuff!
            (Still trying to get the courage to get it dirty!

Cheers!
            Spook

Comment

• Gus
              Administrator
              • Mar 2008
              • Traralgon. Vic

A few Videos from the weekend

In the last you'll hear Karlien answer as she was behind me in the Challenger (I comment on how steep it was)

Gus

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Pickle
                Administrator
                • Jun 2007
                • All over Oz

Afew more photos of this trip!

Photos courtesy of James Mark Photography
                Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Gus
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2008
                  • Traralgon. Vic

Makes me want to go back for some more wheelin' Dave.

(James Mark Photography) Great pics Jamie

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

A few more Pics by:

James Mark Photography

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• scarecrow73
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Sheidow Park SA

Great pictures and videos. Whats all the white stuff in some of the pictures???? Dont get much of that round this way!!
                      SOLD!!! 2007 NS GLX DiD - Alloy Bar, BFG ATR's, OL Police Spec battery tray, MM Cargo Barrier, Projecta Dual Battery Isolator, Airtech snorkel, Electronic Brake Controller, Ultragauge EM, Stebel Air Horn, overhead console with Uniden UHF, GoPro Hero 2

2011 Sar Major Off Road Camper Trailer
                      2011 VW Golf 118 TSI (DSG grrrrrr )

Comment

• Ranger J
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Perth, Western Australia

Some great pics there!
                        NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• Pickle
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2007
                          • All over Oz

The trip report.....finally!

Haunted Stream -Queens Birthday 2010
                          We left Longwarry servo around 10.45 and although there were only three in the group at this stage we would end up over the weekend with ten vehicles all up. It was a quick run to Stratford where we refuelled the cars and our bellies then headed off to Wonnangatta Caravan Park 9 klms short of Dargo.
                          There at the caravan park to greet us was Gus (Gary Davis) and Allan who had arrived the day before for their first trip out with the club. And of course pretty much as soon as we arrived the rain that had followed us from Melb let go for a short time making sure we all got reasonably damp setting up. But it did not dampen our spirits as we were looking at having a great weekend regardless. I also was informed that a road closure was on our route to Haunted Stream. With this needing confirmation I ducked into town and checked with the general store. They did indeed confirm that the road was closed and this meant that we would have to make a large detour around to get to Haunted Stream. Between this ,the wet roads and some standard vehicles I made the decision not to attempt Haunted Stream. Simply we would have to find somewhere else to play. With camps set up it was 9.45 pm when Karlien (MMAL) with the new Challenger rolled up to make the last of a full compliment of participents.
                          We also had Jamie and Simmo from Going 4wding there to take photos and film our trip over the weekend. Certainly something different for us!
                          Sat morning after getting all the icicles off me that had formed overnight in the tent and with a hearty breakfast under the belt it was out to the front of the caravan park at 8.30 to discuss the days route.
                          After telling the troops that Haunted Stream was not an option some other routes were suggested and agreed upon.
                          We would break into two groups with Dave Kennedys group going straight through Dargo up the High Plains Rd to find some snow. My group would take a small detour to start off with and then follow Daves group about an hour behind. So with my group in tow it was straight down to Maguires Track off the Crooked River Rd. Certainly not a hard track but with some interesting sections it would give me an idea of the track conditions being damp. Although a bit scrambly and a tad slippery all vehicles made it up ok to the transmission tower. With a smile on Karliens face and a comment of ?any more tracks like that? I knew that I would have to find something over the weekend to satisfy the low range frustrations of some of the crew. On to Hibernia and then on to High Plains Rd we were now following the other groups tracks about an hour behind.
                          Once up near the Grant turn off we had the white whisps on the side of the road. I had a fair idea there would be snow up here as if it rains in Dargo and its cold enough it will snow further up. With a few photo shots along the way we finally turned left into Ritchies Rd with the snow getting thicker. About an hour later saw us at the intersection of Ritchies Rd and Basalt Knob Nth track where we would be having lunch.
                          With lunch done it was down Brewery Track into Talbotville and then along Crooked Rd to meet up with the other group and get all of us on film from the guys from Going 4wding.
                          We had about four river crossings to go through so the camera crew set it up so we could all be filmed going through in formation.
                          With the job done it was an easy run along Crooked River Rd back to the caravan park in time for fivesees.
                          Sat night it was into Dargo Pub to help celebrate Judy?s birthday. With full tummies it was good to see the whole pub join in singing Happy Birthday to Judy. A few more drinks and a game of pool to tone down Karlien?s brother (Fritz who was under the strange impression that he could whop me at pool) we headed back to the caravan park to retire for the night.
                          Sunday morning we would meet at 8.30 am (or was it 9 am!!!) to discuss what we would be doing for the day. It was decided that we would all go as one group so the guys from Going 4wding could get film and photos of all of us. I had nutted out some tracks early in the morning that would give us some low range work in the afternoon. Providing we had no rain these low range track should not pose a problem but I hadn?t done these ones before so it was an unknown factor. With Dave Kennedy up front and trip leader for the day it was through Dargo and a right into Jones Rd to take us to the road closure at Berrigan Rd. With threats of $5000 per vehicle for driving on the closed rd we opted to turn left and follow Berrigun Rd up to the Dogs Grave where morning tea was called by Dave. With morning tea done and photos of the Dogs Grave captured. From here it was all uphill to be greeted by large amounts of snow that got our photographers inspired and made the road very slippery. With a turn on to Parslow Track it was down into low range for the run to Mt Delusional Rd. Back into high range for this one but the roads were getting very sloppy and slippery. It was easy does it until Dave called lunch at the junction of Grassy Ridge Track.

Lunch done and a group photo shoot behind us we moved on past the Seldom Seen Hut to our track that would give us lo range for the rest of the day. With a slow puncture on the troopy of our film crew it was decided to change it before we headed into the unknown low range tracks that started at Morris Peak rd . With Dave organising the convoy order to have the guys with winches placed near the front and rear of the convoy it was off downhill to meet Storer Track and the start of the adventure.
                          Like I stated earlier I had never done these tracks so wasn?t quite sure what we up against but all vehicles handled the tracks well. With some great little down hills and climbs this one satisfied our low range withdrawal symptoms. Although you could not get any reasonable speed up on the track at one stage there was a yell from Gus ?I just hit a roo?. With thinking the worst upon inspection of his bulbar we could only find a shiny spot where the roo?s fur cleaned it up. Got away with that one Gus! With the excitement over and back into the drive it was not long before we were spat out on the Lower Dargo Rd. After a chat and another 15 minutes on the road we pulled into the caravan park for fivesees.

With tea done with it was the Going 4wding guys that requested an interview on film. With a good studio audience around I was put under the spotlight for a few minutes whilst the guys filmed the interview. With that over (phew!!!) it was the ghost of Wonnangatta with the whips that cornered us into donating $50.10 to the RFDS. Finally we got to get around the fire for a few drinks and a chin wag.
                          Monday morning was a leasurly pack up and head for home. Of course being the last day it was the best weather wise but we did get a good run home.
                          Another fantastic trip out to the Dargo area with great people...thank you guys.
                          A thank you to Karlien for bringing up the Challenger. The guys were pretty impressed with it!
                          Also a big thank you to Dave Kennedy. Good work on leading the group on both days and keeping to the tight schedules. Another great trip leader coming up through the ranks.
                          And of course Jamie and Simmo from Going 4wding. Absolutely fantastic having you with us!

Tracks done!
                          Sat
                          Crooked River Rd /Maguires Track /Hibernia Track / High Plains Rd/ Ritchie Rd/ Basalt Knob Nth/ Brewery Creek Rd/ Crooked River Rd.
                          Sun
                          Dargo Rd/ Jones Rd/ Berrigan Rd/Parslow Track/ Mt Delusion Rd/ Baldhead Rd/ Morris Peak Rd/ Storer Track/ Gidley Track/ Puchen-Budwuid Devide Track/ Lower Dargo Rd

Trip Particapents
                          Dave Howard ....... Mitsubishi Challenger ....... 1228 Trip Leader
                          Dave and Nicole Kennedy ....... NM Pajero ....... 1440 co Trip Leader
                          Terry and Judy Birch ....... Nissan Patrol ....... 860
                          Cha and Sue Ratnatunga ....... NP Pajero ...... 1334
                          Gary Davis (Gus) ....... NM pajero ...... 1392
                          David Crainean ...... NP Pajero ....... 1279
                          Shaun and Margaret Driscoll ...... NS Pajero ....... 1337
                          Allan Sellars ...... Nissan Patrol ...... visitor
                          Karlien and Fritz ....... Mitsubishi Challenger......... visitor
                          Jamie and Simon.. (Going 4wding) ...... Toyota 70 Troopie ...... visitor

This one from Gus

As this was my 1st Paj Club trip I was really looking forward to it, & before I get into this it would be remiss of me not to say ?what a top well organized trip it was?.

I just wanted to add a few things to Dave Howard?s great report.

Sitting around the camp fire after our 2nd days 4wdriving with tummies full we were all discussing our 2 days of 4wheeling & what a great job Dave Kennedy did as leader, Al & I have been 4WDriving for over 20 years & I just made the comment I was impressed with Dave?s instructions at a particular steep & slippery section, (quote), ?very slippery section put in low 2nd slow & steady will keep your forward momentum?, anyway after talking I, (& a few others), were surprised to hear this was Dave?s 1st trip as a Trip Leader!
                          So from me Dave a big well done mate.
                          (& it?s obvious the Pajero Club have a great trip leader to add to others).

PB 2010 Challenger 2.5 Diesel LS

It was great to meet & see, (MMAL), Karlien, (& her brother Fritz), who arrived in a new PB 2.5 LS Challenger.

I was saying to Karlien & Pickle how impressed I was after she followed me up a rather steep & slippery section of Maguires Track, ( to be honest I was expecting to have to lend a hand?Sheesh my Paj is decked out for this stuff, & this stock Challenger with HT tyres is following me up?). Karlien was smiling back & said ?would I like a drive??

Well was I chuffed, so we swapped vehicles & off I went tackling some pretty slippery tracks a river crossings & I?ve got to say even with HT tyres the Challenger went where I pointed it with the Stability & Traction control working a treat. The factory standard rear Locker was not used or needed while I was driving but knowing it?s there would see me not hesitating to tackle any tracks in the High Country I?ve done in my Pajero.

In short to anyone considering a Challenger go for it! This was a basic LS model but the features are impressive. I found it comfortable to drive, (very important to me as I have a bad back injury), the turbo lag is not as bad as I thought it was going to be after hearing others mention it & once your use to it doesn?t bother you. The 2.5 Has plenty of low down grunt & revs freely. As this was an auto, I was able to compare to mine, the gearing seems spot on for my liking. The suspension is firm but not harsh with great ground clearance for a stock vehicle.

With a few additions and I mean a few.. Like A/T tyres the challenger would comfortably take you there & bring you back with a smile on your dial.

To Karlien thanks for the drive & it was a pleasure meeting you & your brother Fritz.

Yours in 4WDriving,

Gus (gary davis).
                          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Gus
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2008
                            • Traralgon. Vic

Thanks Dave.

Gus

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• aldavnic
                              • Aug 2007
                              • Pakenham

thanks for the kind words Gus, it was a very enjoyable trip with great company.
                              It was good meeting you and finally putting a face to your name.

Cheers David
                              NM V6,Exceed BFG MTs ,Injected Gas, Proficency course,GME TX3100 UHF , 2 inch lift, Pace Maker Headers ,Dobinsons.Navigation Course (still lost) Rola Roof Racks, Proficency Plus course.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X