Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Removing second row seats makes the car unroadworthy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Removing second row seats makes the car unroadworthy ?

I've been thinking about removing the second row of seats for a big trip (the thirfpd row are already out) but was advised that it could become unroadworthy and liable for a refusal of claim on insurance should the need arise. True or not ?
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Each state is different but TEMPORARY removal is deemed OK. If you live somewhere where you need a roadworthy for rego/sale you may get knocked back.

You won't get refused an insurance claim due to seats being removed UNLESS they cause part/all of the accident which is remarkably unlikely.

My middle and rear seats in my old Patrol were removed, I had the cargo barrier behind the front seats. I was involved in a head on crash that wrote it off, insurance paid out within 2 weeks. It also had 3" of lift, bigger than legal tyres etc etc. As a side note, the cargo barrier saved my life (as did the airbag), my toolbox and fridge flew through the cabin and dented the cargo barrier, one of the dents was right behind my seat...

SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Allanmac56
      • Oct 2013
      • Ningi

seat removal

I have a shorty and recently decided to remove the second row seats so i could put more camping gear in. Cost me about $40 from memory to get it 're engineered' and a compliance plate on it. The engineer told me to hang on to the belts and bolts and if i decide to put them back in for resale no problem he will just re inspect it and as long as it is all original equipment then all good. I am in queensland but can't really can't see why any others would be any different I must admit to being amused at the registration office tho when they told me that with only 2 seats i had to register it as a van.
      Last edited by Allanmac56; 24-04-17, 08:15 PM. Reason: forgot to mention am in queensland
      NH ragtop shorty, 2.5 tdi, safari snorkel,lifted around 2" but after 26 yrs of abuse looks and feels like a whole lot more everyday car that turns into a miniature beast when called on.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I took the rear seats out of a troopy here in Qld and had to get a mod plate! Bullshit..but thats gubbinment for you..
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

http://https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/vehicle-modifications/removing-adding-and-replacing-seats

No issue in Vic.

What could be deemed unsafe, unless you were still trying to carry people where the seats weren't?

Would need seats to be fitted if a Roadworthy Certificate was required as the certifier has to certify that ALL the seats, belts etc are safe. Unless you got a mod plate and reregistered it as a 2 seater.

Peter
          Last edited by pharb; 25-04-17, 09:20 AM. Reason: more comments
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• starjunk
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

Originally posted by pharb View Post
            http://https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/vehicle-modifications/removing-adding-and-replacing-seats

No issue in Vic.

What could be deemed unsafe, unless you were still trying to carry people where the seats weren't?

Would need seats to be fitted if a Roadworthy Certificate was required as the certifier has to certify that ALL the seats, belts etc are safe. Unless you got a mod plate and reregistered it as a 2 seater.

Peter
            NSW don't do mod plates, and in NSW temporary removal is ok. In most states temporary removal is ok, but the definition of "temporary" varies.
            For permanent removal, definitely get it engineer certified... Won't cost much for the peace of mind.
            '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
            '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
            '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
            '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Merts
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2011
              • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
              NSW don't do mod plates, and in NSW temporary removal is ok. In most states temporary removal is ok, but the definition of "temporary" varies.
              For permanent removal, definitely get it engineer certified... Won't cost much for the peace of mind.
              The OP is in Melbourne, and as shown in the link above, seats can be removed in Victoria without any approval process required. Why would he pay for an engineers certificate when it's not required?
              Merts
              Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
              Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• starjunk
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2011
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                The OP is in Melbourne, and as shown in the link above, seats can be removed in Victoria without any approval process required. Why would he pay for an engineers certificate when it's not required?
                Fair comment. Others were commenting regarding other states, so was just sharing my 2 cents. I'll take it back now and put it in the piggy bank for next time ...
                '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                  And I think you will struggle to find a definition of "temporary".

For example, anything that can be unbolted can most likely be refitted, regardless of whether it was removed for 10 days or 10 years.

Peter
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by pharb View Post

No issue in Vic.

Peter
                    Interesting link and discussion. Thanks to all for the input.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X