Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 02-07-19

Default ARB digital tyre inflator/deflator - ARB601

Hi guys,
I'm in the market for a new DEFLATOR since the one I have is almost falling apart.
So, looking at alternatives to the valve core removal deflators, I came across this ARB digital inflator/deflator.
As an inflator it comes in handy since there is no need to turn the compressor off to check the pressure, just release the lever and that's it. Not enough? Push it again! Awesome!

As a deflator, well here comes my question.
It is not a deflator per se, but it has a push button that you can use to deflate the tyres if you have over inflated them.
What i would like to know is....how fast is at doing that?
Can it really be used as a full time deflator?
I went into an arb shop and when comparing it to the EZ deflator the guy working there said "it would be much slower like 10 times slower because it is not a valve core type of deflator, but i've never used it".

Not that i dont wanna trust him lol, but has anybody ever tried it?
Cheers
Old 02-07-19
Valued Member

I've got one. It is slower but it's handy. I'm not a big fan of removing the valve each time, althought that's very quick. I use a simple tyre valve tool or a stick to get most of the air out and then switch to the deflator to get it where I want. Once I've done one tyre, I count the time I needed so i can quickly deflate the next one for say 20 seconds, and then put the deflator on.

Mine reads 5 psi too much but as long as I know that, it's workable.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 02-07-19
Valued Member

For speed, you cannot do better than a set a Staun Deflators, I have 2 calibrated at 20psi and 2 at 15psi, this covers me for general low range off road pressures and sand pressures. When dropping to sand pressures I put the 20psi regulators on the first 2 tyres then fit the others, I come back and manually deflate the first 2 tyres the last 5 psi.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 02-07-19

Agree with OJ, people bag them but they are super handy. I have 2 set at 18 and 2 at 16. I only do beach work so 18 is my first step, 16 looks as low as I’m comfortable as I have 18’s on my Pajero and they just look too low at 15.
Only issue I found with them is they need to drop the pressure by 15 psi I think to activate them. So you can’t drop 2 tyres to 18 then put ones set at 15 on these as it won’t open the valve. Doesn’t bother me now I know, annoyed me when I didn’t and was rushing to drop my tyre pressures a little more, the tide was coming in when leaving Fraser Island using the southern tip and I didnt want to back track and use the inland tracks.
You can get them on special online regularly
Old 02-07-19
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Well then, I will agree to disagree. I have found nothing faster than my valve core removal deflator, Staun included.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 02-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauno View Post
Agree with OJ, people bag them but they are super handy. I have 2 set at 18 and 2 at 16. I only do beach work so 18 is my first step, 16 looks as low as I’m comfortable as I have 18’s on my Pajero and they just look too low at 15.
Only issue I found with them is they need to drop the pressure by 15 psi I think to activate them. So you can’t drop 2 tyres to 18 then put ones set at 15 on these as it won’t open the valve. Doesn’t bother me now I know, annoyed me when I didn’t and was rushing to drop my tyre pressures a little more, the tide was coming in when leaving Fraser Island using the southern tip and I didnt want to back track and use the inland tracks.
You can get them on special online regularly

If you just pull the centre stem they will start to activate again.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
Old 02-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
Well then, I will agree to disagree. I have found nothing faster than my valve core removal deflator, Staun included.

Hi Shane,

Hopefully our paths will cross one day and we can do a test whilst having an ale then sit around the campfire with a red or two and solve the worlds problems.

On my next trip with some of the Adelaide Forumites we might do a test. just for the fun of it!

OJ.
Old 03-07-19

I use a supercheap small dial pressure gauge which has an air release button on the side. Simple and effective for normal size tyres

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
Old 03-07-19
Valued Member

Default ARB digital tyre inflator/deflator - ARB601

I bought a Repco branded valve core removal deflator but took it back unopened because I decided a plastic KFC fork works well, easy to replace and if one prong breaks off you have 3-4 more before you need to replace it. Itís fully weatherproof and because the prongs are slim it doesnít take all that long to deflate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-19
Valued Member

Blahaha, that's a beauty! LOL

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.