Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 29-06-19

Default A/T problems after garage work :( > Help please

Hi,

A couple of days ago I took my Paj. to the garage for bushing replace. (2001 short wheel base, diesel 3.2 Di-D automatic).
When we drove and switched from D to N and to R the engine shutdown a few times. The mechanic told me it is probably a connector or a sensor and he will look into it as well.

When I picked the car at the end of the day he said he did not find anything regarding the shutdowns. I paid for what he did and drove away.
After a minute or two I noticed something is not right and in another minute it turned out the car is in 2nd gear all the time.
Since the garage was closed I called the guy and asked if he had an idea. his answer didn't helped but I kept looking.
I found a connector near the transmission that was released. connected it and the car was OK.
Got home

But,
When I checked deeply later on I noticed that manual does not work. it lights up 3rd gear but behaves as if the car is in automatic.
The next day - the gear switched to safe mode - stuck on 3rd gear. and since then - that is all I have.

Facts and info:
1. The gear was OK when I gut into the garage so it is unlikely to be broken all of a sudden
2. I know the guys in the garage were messing with the connectors which makes me be very sure that the problem is there somewhere
3. Counting the error code (when shortening MUT pin 1 to the ground) gave me 31, 32,33,34
4. measuring the voltage line on the A/T control relay that comes from the ECU is not OK....
It goes up to 12V for a fraction of a second when switch the ignition switch and it falls down to 0V..

5. since I took it out of the garage there is a big "nock/bang" when I'm switching into Reverse and into Drive. It wasn't there a day before...

I'm lost at that point. Any one has an idea ?
TNX
Old 30-06-19
Resident

I can't help too much, other than advising that a google search returned that those error codes are to do with the transfer shift system, rather than transmission. Which "bushing" was replaced? Did this require removal of the transmission and transfer?

There are six connectors on the transfer case - 5 switches for detecting the position of internal components, and 1 actuator motor that does the actual switching. The switches are colour coded, so make sure they're connected properly - unplug & re-seat all of them, to make sure.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 30-06-19

Maybe disconnect the battery for 30 mins to try to do a reset?

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
Old 30-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
....... and 1 actuator motor that does the actual switching.
You may be bringing something up
I looked at the switches and they seem to be "dusted" as they were - so nothing was touched there.
But I do know that they disconnected the actuator motor connector.
I re-tightened the connector to the harness - no luck. BUT - does the part of wires coming out of the transmission (covered with kind of a rubber cup) can be disconnected as well ? is there a connector there or - are these wired coming out from inside the transmission ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garc View Post
Maybe disconnect the battery for 30 mins to try to do a reset?
Done that

Last edited by gilur; 30-06-19 at 04:50 PM.
Old 30-06-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilur View Post
BUT - does the part of wires coming out of the transmission (covered with kind of a rubber cup) can be disconnected as well ? is there a connector there or - are these wired coming out from inside the transmission ?
Unfortunately, I don't know, as I have a later model transmission. However, if I was a betting man, I would bet that there is a connector at the transmission - so have a good look.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....