• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pittsy87
    • Dec 2015
    • Melbourne

Brakes are terrible

Brakes are feeling like theres nothing there at all.
    Replaced original ones to RDA rotors and pads but havent lasted bugger all, now feels like ive got next to no brakes after only about 5 - 10k kms out of them

What spec DBA rotors and pads are people putting on there NW paj.
    I have also got a lot of extra weight on my vehicle with bullbar, winch, bashplates, dual batteries etc etc

Advice on what brake setups yous are running would be great.
    2014 NW VRX
    ARB Deluxe bar colour coded | Bushskinz rock sliders | Rasslar brush bars | Bushskinz under body protection and rear bar | DominatorX 12,00lbs winch | 9" LED spotties | 32" Lightbar mounted on roof | 2" Billstein Lovells combo lift | 7 din rocker switch mod | Dual battery readout in cab | Boo Boos intercooler guard | EGR block | Provent 200 catch can | LED interior conversion | Dual batteries | Redarc SBi12 | Spare wheel lift | Factory MM towbar | Donaldson secondary fuel filter
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

What have you done to diagnose brake problems?

Have you attempted to bleed your brakes?

When you replaced rotors and pads, was it all four wheels, or only the front?

Did you inspect the old pads? Were the all evenly worn to about the same thickness, or was there significant variation between the pads?

Have you pulled the current pads to check for abnormal wear patterns?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pittsy87
      • Dec 2015
      • Melbourne

Hi NJ

Diagnosis is just use of brake pedal

No havent attempted to bleed brakes

Yes replaced all 4 rotors

It was over a year ago when i replaced them and ive been driving with them feeling crap for ages now (i know my bad) cant remember the wear eveness of old pads

No havent pulled the current pads off to check.

The whole car shudders something terrible when braking now as well.
      You feel it through the pedal, steering wheel and the whole car and dash shuddering.
      2014 NW VRX
      ARB Deluxe bar colour coded | Bushskinz rock sliders | Rasslar brush bars | Bushskinz under body protection and rear bar | DominatorX 12,00lbs winch | 9" LED spotties | 32" Lightbar mounted on roof | 2" Billstein Lovells combo lift | 7 din rocker switch mod | Dual battery readout in cab | Boo Boos intercooler guard | EGR block | Provent 200 catch can | LED interior conversion | Dual batteries | Redarc SBi12 | Spare wheel lift | Factory MM towbar | Donaldson secondary fuel filter

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Pittsy87 View Post
        Hi NJ

Diagnosis is just use of brake pedal

No havent attempted to bleed brakes

Yes replaced all 4 rotors

It was over a year ago when i replaced them and ive been driving with them feeling crap for ages now (i know my bad) cant remember the wear eveness of old pads

No havent pulled the current pads off to check.

You feel it through the pedal, steering wheel and the whole car and dash shuddering.

Have you checked caliper pistons and seals?
        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Pittsy87 View Post
          Could be glazed pads giving the lack of braking performance and or pad material buildup/deposits on the rotors causing the shaking and pulsing.
          When the rotors and pads replaced was the brake pad manufacturers bedding in process followed?
          Were the caliper slide pins free and lubricated?
          Was a engine running brake bleed done according to the Service Manual?

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

I’ve tried a couple of different brands of pads on my NT (including Bendix which were terrible when cold).

Strangely, the best pads I’ve come across have been genuine Toyota pads (120 Prados use the same front and rear pads/callipers as Gen 4 Pajero). I get them from the local Toyota dealer (just ask for 120 Prado pads) and have found they are also cheaper than Bendix!
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• _jp_
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Adelaide Hills, SA

At 25000km my factory rotors showed signs of warping so I replaced the 4 factory rotors with DBA T2 slotted and also fitted Bendix Heavy Duty pads all round.
              At 95000km I replaced the F&R pads again with the same Bendix Heavy Duty. Rotors were fine.
              Gave the fluid a good bleed both times and they've been great.
              Make sure the new rotors are cleaned thoroughly with brake/parts cleaner as they normally have a covering of oil from manufacture. Also follow the bedding in instructions from the pad manufacturer.
              NW GLXR - SOLD
              --------------
              EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Pittsy87
                • Dec 2015
                • Melbourne

Had the local mechanic i use change the pads and rotors last time whilst getting a service done so i would presume and hope he knows and done the proper bedding in process
                2014 NW VRX

Comment

• rykiel575
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Sydney

Whens the last time the brake fluid was replaced? Takes a good 1L. O usually use 1.5L. You also have to activate the HBB/ABS solenoids
                  2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• gazza11
                    • Aug 2017
                    • Medowie NSW

Hello, I own an Nt Pajero and I have recently replaced the front brakes with DBA slotted Survival T2 Rotors and replaced the front and rear brakes pads with Bendix 4x4 pads. I flushed and replaced the brake fluid with 1lt Castrol DOT4. The brakes are remarkable. Better brake pedal is harder, far more progressive and stops far better then the original brakes. A highly recommended brake upgrade.
                    NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• rykiel575
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Sydney

Fresh brake fluid will make a world of difference.
                      2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• tnor
                        • Feb 2016
                        • Dubbo, NSW

In addition to upgrading the rotors and pads, I have replaced the rubber flex hoses with braided stainless steel ones which seemed to provide much better feel on the brakes

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
                        Pajero NW MY13 GLX (x-NSW Police)
                        OL Steel Bull Bar; HR tow bar; Cargo Barrier; Bushskinz intercooler & sump plates and side steps; 50mm lift kit and polyair bags; GME UHF radio; dual battery & rear power; roof bars; Kenwood head unit; Tow
                        Pro brake controller; LED light bar and day-time running lights

Comment

• Odie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Tassie

I second Old Jack on checking the slide pins. They can corrode quite badly in the right conditions I had the front discs machined twice before I worked out the glazing/warping was being caused by pads grabbing on corroded & dirty slide pins. A couple of small sachets of grease from any auto parts shop will cost less than $10 and give you plenty of lubricant to lubricate the cleaned up pins on all four wheel calipers. A pair of small pliers to undo the pins is the only tool you need other than a wheel brace.
                          2009 Ironbark VRX DiD Auto. 3000kg tow bar.
                          Modifications: Polyairs, MMCS Overide, Prodigy Brake Controller, DBA T3 Rotors/Factory Pads

Comment

• Jorgo RX Pajero
                            • Feb 2017
                            • Perth WA

Yes the original Rotors are made of chocolate - went through two genuine sets by approx. 80,000ks and thought - there has to be better out there. Replaced them at 100,000ks as a part of a big birthday for the vehicle with DBA T2 Rotors and Bendix Off Road pads, Flushed and replaced fluid, resealed the callipers and replaced the standard lines with braided lines from Safe Brake Australia - did the whole job myself over few days making sure everything was properly lubricated and assembled correctly (have HD Plant Mechanic background) - and what a difference - highly recommend this as a justifiable upgrade, particular if you tow a fair bit. Hard to tell what parts made the most improvement as I replaced everything at once.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X