Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I have just looked at the Mitsubishi Manufacturers Body Repair Manual and it indicated that the front recovery loops and the chassis are made from high tensile steel.
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/pajero...191AB00ENG.pdf

Armed with this information then a good mechanical engineer should be able to give you a written report after inspecting the points to say they have a load rating of at least 5,000kg WLL.
Sorry I need to configure my signature finally, but yeah, we're talking about Gen 4 here, not Sport. Although I'm pretty sure it's made of the same steel, so still helpful.
Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
First of all, I've seen all these threads and videos about the factory points.
The problem is that my local 4WD club rules state that cars must have rated points. That's mainly to make people performing recoveries feel safe, which I can understand.

Any options at all to comply with the rules?

ALL recovery points have a RATED MAX "PULL", now if you have 2 points and share the load that reduces the force on the recovery point which is why it is better to have 2 on the front for pulling your vehicle out.

Now, I would ask the club what they consider a "RATED" recovery point to be, because the factory tow point is a "RATED" recovery point, its just rated @ "NFI but is lower then after market points", but by definition is RATED, and rated low so its better not to use them with a snatch recovery.
Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
There was no link, but I guess it's something like I have: "Your vehicle must have rated recovery points (front and rear) that are securely mounted to the chassis with high tensile bolts - 2x 12mm bolts, grade 8.8 or imperial equivalent. "
Sorry, my bad. It is a bit more detailed than that
http://www.ccvc.org.nz/page-1725862
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrubby View Post
Wow, 4 documents on recovery points!
Your club seems to be bigger, there must be other Pajero owners there who somehow solved the problem?
Old 27-05-19

I haven't seen any yet, but I've only been on three intro trips. The engineer I talked to about it had done at least one other gen 4 pajero, I assume for that club
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 27-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieguy View Post
....because the factory tow point is a "RATED" recovery point, its just rated @ "NFI but is lower then after market points", but by definition is RATED, and rated low so its better not to use them with a snatch recovery.
If you have no idea what the factory point is rated at, how on earth do you know it's rated lower than an after market point, or that it's better not to use it in a recovery?

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 27-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrubby View Post
Hmmm.
"Note that factory mounted hooks will be inspected to ensure they meet the following Standards."
"Hooks are to be bolted not welded and must comply with Specification CCVCSAFETY-0003 Recovery Hook Requirements."

They are seriously telling people that factory designed points which have been welded to the chassis in a controlled manufacturing environment are unsuitable, but aftermarket hooks bolted to a random location are okay? I assume they realise the chassis components are welded together not bolted.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 27-05-19
Valued Member

It seems there is little, if any, rational thinking underpinning the club's policy. I think their underlying objective is worthy, viz, safety in recoveries, but in trying to exclude simple tow and transport hooks/loops the much more substantial Paj front loops become collateral damage. Not withstanding the well-known (at least to us) Peake video, it is a pity that in the almost 20 year life of the monocoque-based Pajero, MM hasn't deemed it worthwhile to sacrifice a vehicle or two to formally test the front hooks, rate them in their specs, and paint them a pretty Mitsubishi red.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
Paj front loops become collateral damage.
Well, not quite. They specifically mention factory _recovery_ points.
16. Some vehicles are factory fitted with recovery points or other fitments that are claimed to be suitable for snatching or winching. (These are not “tie down” type loops or hooks which are only intended for towing or securing on trailers etc.).
17. There is no available data from vehicle manufacturers which provide a WLL or safety factor for such fittings and these are therefore not accepted by CCVC.
However I think they rely way too much (blindly) on what's stamped or not stamped on the points. While statistics would be a better choice in this case, i.e. are there many/any Pajeros with broken factory points? On the other hand, as I mentioned before, Pajero isn't popular here any by coincidence it's a rare case of an off road-worthy vehicle without aftermarket recovery points available.
Old 27-05-19
Valued Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXixsvjDjY&t=17s

There is another video put out somewhere but I can't locate it.

For added protection add a tree trunk protector or similar to spread the load.

Better still avoid clubs

Dean
NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.