Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

I agree Dicko, why don't they make them with a bull bar or roof tray ? It's exactly the same argument.

The average Joe wouldn't appreciate how important it is to lock up the TC anyway. It does change how the car feels, being more like a manual and instantly responsive to the pedal, which may not suit those driving around town all the time.

There is no downside that I can see.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC.Barky View Post
Hey Marshall, Looking at probably getting lockup mate next year. My only concern about it is, if it's as good as you say it is (and not saying it isn't mind you, looks absolutely amazing I was so excited for it when I watched the video) - why hasn't mitsubishi (or any manufacturer) made it this way from the factory. There must be some negative to the setup surely?

Does it unlock when it shifts gears?

Happy for you to PM me if you'd rather.

Mitsubishi have already done what Auto Mate does with the 8 speed auto in the Pajero Sport.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=49696

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 10-12-18

Hi All
Also looking at getting one in the new year. Reading the FAQ on the website its says that "sometimes" there is an error code produced.
Has anyone with a lockup mate had this happen and if so what happens next?
Mark
Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

No error code for me and it's done quite a few klms around town, in the hills and towing.

If there's a code, clear it with an Ultra Gauge or use Torque on your tablet or phone but it would be rare, judging from all the reports and testing which has now been done by MM, OJ and all the users of the product.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

I dont get error codes.

Mine is on all the time. It stays locked at 60kmh on flat ground and slight climbs, but if it unlocks, I simply shift back to 4th.
Trans stays cool on the hottest of days and I think it is a great add on to my Pajero. Easy to fit, and I know bugger all about electronics and it works exceptionally well

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyalmond View Post
Hi All
Also looking at getting one in the new year. Reading the FAQ on the website its says that "sometimes" there is an error code produced.
Has anyone with a lockup mate had this happen and if so what happens next?
Mark
My experience is that when first installed, sometimes (rarely) the AT ECU seems a little sensitive to having the TCC lockup when it's not expecting it to be locked. Within a weeks or so, it adapts and is fine from then on. Doesn't happen to everyone but does occasionally happen.

For example, in my car, after 6 months of normal behaviour (no codes), my dealer reset the AT ECU's learned parameters using a MUT (to diagnose another issue) and it then happened.
With SPORT mode, you can also 'cause' a code under some conditions if you change up a gear with the RPM way too low.
Code is P2758, which is TCC stuck on.

If it does happen, you just clear it with a OBD2 reader.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available

Last edited by m_and_m; 10-12-18 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC.Barky View Post
Hey Marshall, Looking at probably getting lockup mate next year. My only concern about it is, if it's as good as you say it is (and not saying it isn't mind you, looks absolutely amazing I was so excited for it when I watched the video) - why hasn't mitsubishi (or any manufacturer) made it this way from the factory. There must be some negative to the setup surely?

Does it unlock when it shifts gears?

Happy for you to PM me if you'd rather.
No need for a PM - nothing to hide. My FAQ here on the web-site explains.
No, it doesn't unlock when changing gears, and doesn't need to.

Here's my answer in the FAQ.

Why doesn't it come like this from the factory?
The factory engineers need to balance the car's design within varying constraints. Smoothness, fuel economy, emission control regulations, customersí expectations and limited R&D budgets - to name just a few.
Itís the same reason there are so many after-market accessories available for our 4x4s. Not one size fits all customers.
Customers like a smooth and refined transmission, and not all customers tow caravans, trailers, boats or horse floats. Hence compromises are made to achieve a balance. lockup-mate and auto-mateís role is to optimise the control of the TCC to reduce transmission temperatures, plus get other benefits like fuel savings.

What I can add to the above is the gear changes are not quite as smooth when the TCC is locked. Interestingly, I had a Paj Sport for a week as a hire car. It controls the 8 speed trans the same way as I now control the 5 speed with auto-mate. But because the gear ratios in the 8 speed are so close together, it's still really smooth. The Paj Sport locks it in 3rd and then keeps it locked up to 8th. But still, some people complain the Paj Sport transmission isn't very good (ie not perfectly smooth) - hence, the compromise between better fuel economy/lower temps, and smoothness.
So, MM have got it right in the Paj Sport, and there'll not be a lockup-mate or auto-mate developed for it.

You are right - no free lunches unfortunately. You lose a little of the refinement (i.e. slightly higher NVH)....but it worth it if you push your car harder than the average person.

Now, the smoothness in the 5 speed Paj is still very good, just not 'perfect'.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 11-12-18

Hi
Id like to know whats involved in the installation, is there a pdf of the installation manual available, anyone? Thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 11-12-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
No need for a PM - nothing to hide. My FAQ here on the web-site explains.
No, it doesn't unlock when changing gears, and doesn't need to.

Here's my answer in the FAQ.

Why doesn't it come like this from the factory?
The factory engineers need to balance the car's design within varying constraints. Smoothness, fuel economy, emission control regulations, customers’ expectations and limited R&D budgets - to name just a few.
It’s the same reason there are so many after-market accessories available for our 4x4s. Not one size fits all customers.
Customers like a smooth and refined transmission, and not all customers tow caravans, trailers, boats or horse floats. Hence compromises are made to achieve a balance. lockup-mate and auto-mate’s role is to optimise the control of the TCC to reduce transmission temperatures, plus get other benefits like fuel savings.

What I can add to the above is the gear changes are not quite as smooth when the TCC is locked. Interestingly, I had a Paj Sport for a week as a hire car. It controls the 8 speed trans the same way as I now control the 5 speed with auto-mate. But because the gear ratios in the 8 speed are so close together, it's still really smooth. The Paj Sport locks it in 3rd and then keeps it locked up to 8th. But still, some people complain the Paj Sport transmission isn't very good (ie not perfectly smooth) - hence, the compromise between better fuel economy/lower temps, and smoothness.
So, MM have got it right in the Paj Sport, and there'll not be a lockup-mate or auto-mate developed for it.

You are right - no free lunches unfortunately. You lose a little of the refinement (i.e. slightly higher NVH)....but it worth it if you push your car harder than the average person.

Now, the smoothness in the 5 speed Paj is still very good, just not 'perfect'.

Cheers mate, sorry must have missed the FAQ page. Congratulations on making such a good product that the 'too good to be true' alarms are going off ha.

I guess I'm comparing my experience with an old school torque converter lockup with an early GU which isn't really fair. In that car if you left it locked and switched gears it felt quite harsh as the engine speed has to snap down instantly so we used to always unlock it for gear changes as we were worried it was straining the engine/transmission having to change so suddenly
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 11-12-18
Valued Member

Just read the FAQ document. Looking to potentially buy a lock-up mate in near future. The very last point says that the factory AT ECU locks up the TC in 5th when over 100kmh anyway. So if Iím towing on the flat at just over 100kmh then itís locked up, right? So you can do this on the flats and declines. But if Iím on an incline I could shift manually back to 4th in sport mode and it will lockup? Or may not? This is NX Pajero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk