Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Originally posted by Aloa9061 View Post
    First things.

Drifta- if you want it just ask and they will sort it out

I bought the dot 6 army with a few additions in jan.

Thoughts after about 18 nights

overnight fast stops are so easy. for overnights we often chuck the kids in with us and we have had the kids in bed in under 5 minutes.

I had built in sinks before and was skeptical about using the tubs but it is a pleasure.
    fridge is fine if its a second fridge. We have a 65l waeco in the car and now that i have the 47l i wish the car one was a bit smaller.

For longer than pone night we have an oztent which we stick the edge under the roof top tent.

Shower setup is awesome and kitchen has lots of useful space. The second layer on the L shape is great for storage while washing up or cleaning.

If I were to buy right now I would have bought either the Ikamper or probably the new drifta RTT and got the 270 awning. this is mainly to be able to have all the bedding etc setup permanently. Love the weight and the storage space plus the build quality and Drifta service.

Also if you get anything get the D035 hitch. an absolute pleasure compared to standard hitches.
    Thanks for the feeback
    The sink looks too small to me for washing large things like pots, saucepans etc.

The big problem with the Drifta for me is the Hannibal RTT, one review reports it leaks & I believe it as my canvas Safari tent leaks badly & other reviews of other expensive touring canvas tents report leaks. While there are other RTT options none are as big as the Hannibal with that kind of quick coverage so it's the Hannibal or nothing.

This may be a deal breaker.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Scrambler
      • Jul 2018
      • Toowoomba, Qld

How many to sleep? And what is your usage plan?

We have had a couple of wind-up campers, borrowed a soft floor flipover-on-a-trailer and an AVan, and used tents from family size to hike sized.

So I do think we are going lighter weight than you :-)

But that said, check an AVan or the offroad competitor - I cant recall the name sorry. Quick, no canvas, less wind resistance when towing. Can sleep 3. No outdoor kitchen which you seem to like but does have real sink, stove and fridge.

Basic setup on most things is quick but that UAV 440 would be 30+ for setup based on the video. I'd take an AVan ahead of it for setup speed.

Our camper has beds under canvas but its extra time for setup, packing wet on occasions, and the multitude of little time consuming bits no one mentions when selling them. No issue if a few days or more per location. But for overnight and price no object I'd go the AVan. You could buy 2 for the price of the UAV 440.
      =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
      =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• kblof
        • Apr 2017
        • Radelaide

Give Drifta a call and ask about different choices of RTT, Crazy Dog do a nice 4 person RTT and Drifta and Crazy Dog worked together to produce Driftas new hard top RTT,
        Crazy Dog Canvas is an established Queensland-based company that manufactures handcrafted, quality Canvas Camping Storage Bags tailored to suit a wide range of domestic and commercial applications.

Darche are about to release a 4 person 2200mm wide RTT as well.

Good luck
        2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post

- alot lighter which is essential for offroading with a soft 4wd like the paj.
          I just noticed this in the original post.

What's soft about a Paj?
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

Originally posted by Scrambler View Post
            How many to sleep? And what is your usage plan?

We have had a couple of wind-up campers, borrowed a soft floor flipover-on-a-trailer and an AVan, and used tents from family size to hike sized.

So I do think we are going lighter weight than you :-)

But that said, check an AVan or the offroad competitor - I cant recall the name sorry. Quick, no canvas, less wind resistance when towing. Can sleep 3. No outdoor kitchen which you seem to like but does have real sink, stove and fridge.

Basic setup on most things is quick but that UAV 440 would be 30+ for setup based on the video. I'd take an AVan ahead of it for setup speed.

Our camper has beds under canvas but its extra time for setup, packing wet on occasions, and the multitude of little time consuming bits no one mentions when selling them. No issue if a few days or more per location. But for overnight and price no object I'd go the AVan. You could buy 2 for the price of the UAV 440.
            Hi, Thanks I will have to read up on the AVan.

Basically I have researched all campers & the DOT 6 appeals to me the most by far for it's overall practicality & ability to store lots of water & fuel & gear in general. To me it sits in between a Hybrid caravan & a lite touring trailer.

You are right about the UEV 440 taking up to 30mins to fully setup, that's what some members who own them told me. Far too long for touring its an outright turn off.

Originally posted by kblof View Post
            Give Drifta a call and ask about different choices of RTT, Crazy Dog do a nice 4 person RTT and Drifta and Crazy Dog worked together to produce Driftas new hard top RTT,
            Crazy Dog Canvas is an established Queensland-based company that manufactures handcrafted, quality Canvas Camping Storage Bags tailored to suit a wide range of domestic and commercial applications.

Darche are about to release a 4 person 2200mm wide RTT as well.

Good luck
            The Darche looks good thanks

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
            I just noticed this in the original post.

What's soft about a Paj?
            They are not made for offroad, only on asphalt. take em offroad with lots of load & aftermarket stuff & you will break stuff on the body. Aux fuel tanks & bullbars, and large wing awnings etc. 650KG payload barley covers the essential tools/gear I carry & trailer TBM, never mind the extra 400kg I would need. Modern 4wds are a disgrace & why I will never own a new one. In short I called it soft as you can't do anything with them besides take a swag & eat in poverty. But the usual consensus is for hard offroading no 4wd short of a bulldozer can tow a heavy camper. Conqueror spin Marketing BS about the UEV440 being able to go anywhere, no 4wd could tow that thing in hard to geto places.

Comment

• Bru9
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Victoria

The trackabout trailers look to have a better kitchen setup then what drifta DOT offers. But way to much setup with canvas. More suited for basecamp not moving from place to place.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X