Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PA Challenger 1998 - 2006

PA Challenger 1998 - 2006 Covering 3ltr petrol models

Old 13-02-16

Default Gearbox shifter sitting far left ?

Does anyone know why both shifters are sitting far left ? To the point were its hitting the plastic seperating the two shifters ? The last owner cut the plastic between the two shifters. The only thing i can see is the "Transfer Roll Stopper" is worn and i will be purchasing one next week.

But even if i jack up the transfer case it still sits left ? Something im missing obviously. The center console also sits off centre and im not sure if thats normal ?
Old 13-02-16
Valued Member

I guess you have checked the engine mounts?
Old 14-02-16

Never thought to check them mate. Stumbled across an old thread on here that says it might be the crossmember mount sagging. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow to see if it is the problem.
Old 14-02-16

Should all line up fairly straight including the console. Can you post up any pics of the problem?

Can't take any photos as mines been gone for 4 years now.
Old 25-03-16

So a little update on this problem, I replaced the cross-member mount and transfer case bump stop the problem is a little better but its still rubbing on the plastic around the shifter. The original cross-member mount lost about 10-15mm over the years compared to the new one.

The transfer case bump stop is sitting a little high. I'm thinking because the last owner never repaired the problem the bracket has bent over the years ? The bracket im talking about is bolted to the chassis, not the transfer case. Im gonna pull one from the wreckers and compare the two. Or left side engine mount has sagged causing it to lean ?

So looking over some old pajero threads, the engine mount should be 48-50mm (might be the same) ? Im gonna crawl under this weekend after i get back from fishing.

Seems to be the never ending story with this car ...
Old 26-03-16
Valued Member

Has it had a body lift? I understand that can affect the positioning if the shifters as well.

A pic would be worth posting.
Old 27-03-16

Hey mate, this is what im talking about.

Shifter surround sitting right (not sure if its normal ?). The gear shifter

rubs against the plastic between the two sticks. Previous owner cut the plastic to solve that problem.

Transfer case bump stop now misaligned with a new cross-member mount installed.

Both engine mounts measure at about 40mm (rubber only). If you include both metal plates. Its about 50mm. Besides from the 2 engine mounts theirs nothing else holding it in place. I cant think of anything else that might be causing the problem apart from a bent cross-member or worn engine mounts ? Engine mounts arent all that expensive to purchase. Its just the time putting them in.
Old 28-03-16
Valued Member

Your shifters are not in the pic, but my console (auto) has about the same offset to the right. Being an auto, it doesn't have the bump stop either.

EDIT: Have you lifted the centre console up for a look?

Last edited by 900canoes; 28-03-16 at 08:00 PM.