Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

Default Help - WTF is going on with my rear control arm bushes? Replace or not??

NT Pajero...

The front bushes on the rear control arm, when on the vehicle, looked flogged out (lots of movement and bolt nolonger centred in the bush). See first picture.

I therefore pulled out both rear control arms with the intention of replacing the front bushes. To my shock/amazement, once removed the bushes don't actually look too bad - no rips or tears, just what I would describe as a "compression crease" in the rubber where the bushe (I assume) was compressed/squashed. See second and third pictures.

Is there any point replacing the bush?

I was planning on getting a local suspension shop to press out the old bushes and install the new ones on Monday (fyi they only charge $25 pr bush).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (191.4 KB, 175 views)

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Last edited by geopaj; 11-04-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

Bushes once rear control arms removed from vehicle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (198.1 KB, 160 views)

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (200.3 KB, 135 views)

My Build Thread - HERE

Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

And finally, an image from the Whiteline website - just to confirm, yellow bush in the image is the bush I am referring to.

(Don't know why I could only add one picture per post?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.6 KB, 138 views)

My Build Thread - HERE

Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

IMO they are to soft. Change them out for a good set of poly bushes especially if you carry any weight or tow. When on the vehicle you can get a lever in there and move them way to much. You only need to replace those front ones with poly not the ones in the rear of the arm.
02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee
Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

related to lift?
Old 11-04-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmannion View Post
IMO they are to soft. Change them out for a good set of poly bushes especially if you carry any weight or tow. When on the vehicle you can get a lever in there and move them way to much. You only need to replace those front ones with poly not the ones in the rear of the arm.
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on using a poly bush (Whiteline as recommended buy the shop who is going to press them into the arms for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
related to lift?
No idea, but it has had a lift and rear airbags for 100,000km+

My Build Thread - HERE

Old 12-04-15

i just replaced my front that looked like that, but found the rear ones real soft while doing it. how soft are they from factory?
Old 13-04-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
i just replaced my front that looked like that, but found the rear ones real soft while doing it. how soft are they from factory?
They are VERY soft. I'd only replace if the rubber is cracked/perished or if the 'centre hole' is nolonger in the centre.

My Build Thread - HERE

Old 13-04-15
Valued Member

Well, I took the arms to my local suspension shop. Their advice agreed with the advice on this thread so I had new bushes pressed in (Nolathane).

The arms are back on the vehicle, and I'm back on the road

My Build Thread - HERE