Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 12-12-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
Well I fully rebuilt my 4m40 recently and at the time I did it I also made some of the modifications to have a better responding engine. I must say that now the Pajero feels like a totally different beast. I can actually accelerate up hills in 5th gear now and the cruise control seems happy. On hills that I would drop from 100km/h to 80km/h previously I now stay at 100km/h the whole way up. The mods I did were to first raise the boost from the stock 9psi to 12-13psi, slightly raised the on boost fueling, advanced the timing of the injector pump from 12 degrees BTDC to 7 degrees BTDC and I also fabricated a custom 3 inch dump from the turbo and fitted a full 3 inch exhaust system. So far my EGT's havent gone above 500 degrees and thats about as much fuel as I'm prepared to squirt in there. Currently I get no black smoke even under heavy acceleration and gear changes so I'm happy there. Fuel economy is currently at around 10-11L per 100km but the engine only has about 1300Kms on it. I will keep everyone posted on any changes I have but for now I am extremely happy with the old girls performance.

Pauly
Pauly have you ever measured egt's pre turbo in the manifold . I do now but never did with the standard turbo. The difference is surprising usually in a bad way. I'm interested to see the results if you do it .
Old 27-12-14

If I had another egt gauge I would try it. Might be worth it when I have some spare cash lying around but for now I'm pretty happy to keep the temps where I am. I'd be more interested later this year though as I will be towing the boat a lot again and that really gets the egt's consistently up. Might see if I can pull the probe out of its current mounting and move it to the manifold but knowing the location that might not be easily achieved
Old 07-06-15

Well seeing as though I had to pull the turbo and exhaust manifold out yesterday to fix a leak from the turbo oil drain I took the opportunity to install a new measuring point in the manifold pre-turbo for the egt. Blanked the old one off with a brass plug for now and am running the old gauge in the new location. Guess I'll see how different the temps turn out to be as I have got a pretty good memory where they were sitting on most of the big hills around here. Keep you all posted

Pauly
Old 09-06-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
Well seeing as though I had to pull the turbo and exhaust manifold out yesterday to fix a leak from the turbo oil drain I took the opportunity to install a new measuring point in the manifold pre-turbo for the egt. Blanked the old one off with a brass plug for now and am running the old gauge in the new location. Guess I'll see how different the temps turn out to be as I have got a pretty good memory where they were sitting on most of the big hills around here. Keep you all posted

Pauly

Hi there! Im about to install a new EGT probe I just bought but im not sure which is the best location. Any recomendation?
I guess pre turbo will give me more acurate numbers but its harder to make a hole and weld on the cast iron manifold than in the dump pipe.
THanks!
Old 09-06-15

The best location is pre-turbo in the manifold, preferably right where all four exhaust channels meet and go into the turbo. The temps will be the highest here. Post turbo is not reliable because every turbo eats lost of heat, and every setup is different. Your readings will be about 200C lower here. Also there is not need to weld, just drill and tap a thread. As a compromise it could be installed in the EGR exit at cylinder 4, but the temps will be a bit lower as the reading is from only one cylinder.
Old 09-06-15

Make sure if you do anything you remove the turbo first!!!! That metal swarf will destroy the turbo if it gets in the vanes..

Also I mig welded onto the manifold quite easily so it can be done.

Good luck,
Pauly
Old 09-06-15

Yes, thank you for for that addition the turbo must stay free of any debris.

Good to know that you were able to weld to the manifold, I am planning on welding a flange for a different turbo to it and it's good to know that the cast iron is easy to weld. Typically cast iron is a pain and can crack easily...
Old 10-12-15

Hey guys. My 1997 pajero runs a 4m40 with a Mikuni Electronic fuel pump. I am looking to to a slight boost increase and tune, but just not sure if the electronic pump is able to be adjusted?
Old 04-01-17

Great read!

Would love to learn more 4M40 tuning as I have an all stock engine
Old 11-09-17

g'day,

any chance of moving the photos over to imgur.com or another hosting service?