Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garc View Post
I suggest you seriously think about the need. My Paj doesnít have one and Iíve not felt the need for one in desert travel, sand hills, light mud. I reckon drive the car for a while and then see if you need one.
That's probably good advice. I use mine fairly often, but I spend a lot of time in the Vic high country climbing up very steep tracks. The expense may not be worth it for the sort of driving you are intending Fudnut.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garc View Post
I suggest you seriously think about the need. My Paj doesnít have one and Iíve not felt the need for one in desert travel, sand hills, light mud. I reckon drive the car for a while and then see if you need one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merts View Post
That's probably good advice. I use mine fairly often, but I spend a lot of time in the Vic high country climbing up very steep tracks. The expense may not be worth it for the sort of driving you are intending Fudnut.
I have the same train of thought.
By the sounds of your intended use, a diff lock may not be necessary and the 4HL and 4LL with traction control should get you through. It's a very good 4wd system.
You also say you have no 4wd experience, so make sure to 'work up to' more difficult scenarios, and during this time you will work out if you need one.
It took me 3 years before fitting a rear diff lock, I went with the ProLocker, and am glad I did
Old 4 Weeks Ago

My car came with it (3.8L full option) and although 4H is fine for most of the time in the desert, there are times when 4HLc/4LLc and rear diff lock are handy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quick question, I'm having the the e-Locker fitted next week, and am wondering if there is a way to wire up the locker so that the dash display shows when the rear is locked, as it does when using the factory locker?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudnut View Post
Quick question, I'm having the the e-Locker fitted next week, and am wondering if there is a way to wire up the locker so that the dash display shows when the rear is locked, as it does when using the factory locker?
Not sure on gen4s but I did this on my nl. I took out the instrument cluster & identified the circuit for the rear locker light & isolated it and then powered it from my arb switch . I probably think gen 4 circuitry would be a bit more complicated though
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Resident

I have looked at this before, and it doesn't look too hard - it all depends on how far you want to go.

Have a look at this wiring diagram:

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...E10AC00ENG.pdf

The factory switch signals the ECU to turn the diff lock on, which (at some stage) causes a pin in the ECU to switch to ground. This grounded pin illuminates the light on the dash, and tells the HBB, EBD, ABS and ASTC that the rear diff lock is on.

If you find this wire and simply switch it to ground it will turn on the light. If you don't disconnect the other wires, the vehicle may behave like the factory installed version, and cancel the traction control (and who knows what else it does to the other systems?)

Note that the factory system uses an input on another pin on the transfer ECU to detect that the diff lock has actually engaged; see http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...E10BC00ENG.pdf

You could also try switching that pin to ground to get the dash to light up, but I don't know if the ECU tracks whether or not the factory switch has been pushed - seeing the diff locked without having seen the switch pushed could cause an error code. You could go all-in, and use the factory switching system to switch an after-market locker, but the system also appears to detect the centre diff lock - another variable to consider if you want to go down this route.

I don't believe the Air Locker has a feedback switch to confirm that the diff is locked, and I don't know about the e-locker.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Yeah the factory lockers have a switch in the diff itself that switches when the locking mechanism engages . The arbs & elockers donít have an internal switch . One has to assume that once you press the switch that the locker is engaged. Easy to tell though through steering firmness etc.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks guys for the insights, though I might just let it slide for the time being until all the other mods are installed.