Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 06-07-19

Default Transfer Case - Oil Change?

Hi all,

Serviced the diffs and transfer case today, but the volume of oil for the transfer case was less than expected.
Service manual states 2.8l but I only managed 2l before it started coming out the fill hole. Front and rear diffs were fine at 1.1l and 1.6l respectively.

Any ideas? Car was level on its wheels at the time.

Thanks,
Andy.

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
My Build Thread.
Old 06-07-19
Valued Member

Not sure why bud but as long as it's filled up so that it dribbles out of filler hole, that is the correct level. I never bother with the amount listed just the filler hole method.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 06-07-19
Valued Member

As above - simply fill until the oil dribbles out of the filler hole. For what it is worth, my Max Elery W/S manual states early in the Transfer section 2.5 Litres as the capacity, yet in the summary at eh end of that chapter, it says 2.8 Litres. That manual is not known for its technical accuracy.
Old 06-07-19

Thank you both. As you say, it was dribbling (gushing when I put another 500ml in thinking I was mistaken), so I'm happy it's full.

Brake fluid and coolant next.

Thanks,
Andy

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
My Build Thread.
Old 06-07-19
Valued Member

Yeah, not sure where the 2.8lt comes from - maybe oil companies, but I've got a note in my maintenance log that it is closer to 2.2lt - and the supposed 3.2lt for the gearbox is closer to 4.0lt.

Cheers
Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 06-07-19

Thanks GHendo, I've made the same note! Thanks for the heads up on the gearbox too.

My Build Thread.