Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 03-07-19
Valued Member

I think its important to note that all off the comments and opinions stated here are not meant to be aimed at the original posters on this thread but rather the club and their rules. Hope you guys aren't taking it personally
Old 03-07-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
I think its important to note that all off the comments and opinions stated here are not meant to be aimed at the original posters on this thread but rather the club and their rules. Hope you guys aren't taking it personally
We're fine. Although we've all already understood that the club rules are stupid/outdated/inadequate. But it is what it is, and in some sense, the question was how to comply with these rules with less effort and damage to the car possible. In my opinion, the provided solution is good enough answer to this specific question (if a winch mount is present).
Old 03-07-19
Resident

My 2c: this looks like a reasonable outcome in the circumstances. Hooks with a rating stamped on them (can't quite read the details - is that 10,000 pounds?) bolted to a substantial plate that is bolted to (bull bar bolted to vehicle frame?). Factory loops remain unadulterated.

Hit tensile bolts attaching hooks to plate. Tick. (Presuming an appropriate torque was used).

It seems there are a few aftermarket bolts between hook(s) and vehicle body. Presuming these are all appropriately rated, and appropriately re-torqued every time they are disturbed, this looks like a reasonable alternative - where one is required.

I would still use the factory loops whenever / wherever your 4wding companions will allow. But if your 4wding companions expect 10,000 pound hooks to bend during recoveries then they're not recovering safely. I'm not sure I would really wanted to 4wd with them.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 04-07-19

They are 10,000 pound hooks. The clubs mounting rules are fairly specific and specify metal thickness, shape, distance of holes to ends, torque levels, bolt requirements, etc.
The point is to ensure that what the hook is attached to will be adequate to support the hook. If you want a rating for the whole setup, it will be the hook rating.

This is presented as a solution for my position and I'm sure there will be many others interested to see how it was done.

I understand everyone's feelings on the matter regarding needing them in the first place, this has all been throughly discussed earlier in this thread (among others)
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 27-07-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
So now you have 4 recovery points that still don't have certification ?
Even though the factory ones are designed/engineered/manufactured/tested and fitted as recovery points to suit the vehicle the club will accept after market ones with no certification? No wonder I wont belong to a club if this one is an example ...

Winch looks good though..
Yeah it's funny alright.

So lets say something was to happen thats never happened.

Lets say the Pajero High Tensile recovery point failed or the other one fitted by an "Engneer" failed & you ended up in court.
The fact remains the Misty one was designed & tested for recovery purposes, FACTORY FITTED ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER, OEM & even out there with Misty the MANUFACTURER saying so & they have real life tested it, it is in the public domain, they have put their name to this. It is to recover your vehicle according to the manufacturer.

Or you have some fellow bolt one on?

Which court case wins & which one loses.

From A precedent court case the company I work for was involved with which was about the manufacture of A Roll Over Protecction frame engineered & fitted to A tractor by an engineer they were found liable the company whom sub contracted the engineer not the engineer.
I can tell you now if it isnt OEM & you haven't done your due diligance in the courts eyes, which mind boggles as to what that meant to make sure the engineer is up to scratch then in the court of law well best of luck on the day.

It would be insanity to alter the OEM recovery point system, fitted by the original manufacturer, which the original manufacturer calls a recovery point, markets as recovery point & fit A yellow plate or other device & give it a name called A recovery point by an independant engineer in lieu of the OEM recovery point on A vehicle AS FAR AS LEGALITIES go, in my opinion of course.
Hopefully in this instance the independant engineer has built 100's of thousands of vehicles & has more experience than the original manufacturer or those whom decided to change the design of the vehicle, gav the advice may very well be just as liable as the engineer himself or in the case of my employer were found fully liable.
To change the OEM design of the vehicle in the interest of legalities borders on insanity in my opinion
I sell machinery to the 2nd largest council in Australia, they will not under any cirumstances alter the original design of anything, under any circumstances, not even keen to fit A tool box in some instances & they are surrounded by engineers!
Put A rubber flap on A mulcher over the top off the original steel flaps, won't even do that.
Why do you reckon that is???
The fact remains you are altering the OEM design of that vehicle or or equipment.

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 27-07-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 27-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
Yeah it's funny alright.

So lets say something was to happen thats never happened.

Lets say the Pajero High Tensile recovery point failed or the other one fitted by an "Engneer" failed & you ended up in court.
The fact remains the Misty one was designed & tested for recovery purposes, FACTORY FITTED ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER, OEM & even out there with Misty the MANUFACTURER saying so & they have real life tested it, it is in the public domain, they have put their name to this. It is to recover your vehicle according to the manufacturer.

Or you have some fellow bolt one on?

Which court case wins & which one loses.

From A precedent court case the company I work for was involved with which was about the manufacture of A Roll Over Protecction frame engineered & fitted to A tractor by an engineer they were found liable the company whom sub contracted the engineer not the engineer.
I can tell you now if it isnt OEM & you haven't done your due diligance in the courts eyes, which mind boggles as to what that meant to make sure the engineer is up to scratch then in the court of law well best of luck on the day.

It would be insanity to alter the OEM recovery point system, fitted by the original manufacturer, which the original manufacturer calls a recovery point, markets as recovery point & fit A yellow plate or other device & give it a name called A recovery point by an independant engineer in lieu of the OEM recovery point on A vehicle AS FAR AS LEGALITIES go, in my opinion of course.
Hopefully in this instance the independant engineer has built 100's of thousands of vehicles & has more experience than the original manufacturer or those whom decided to change the design of the vehicle, gav the advice may very well be just as liable as the engineer himself or in the case of my employer were found fully liable.
To change the OEM design of the vehicle in the interest of legalities borders on insanity in my opinion
I sell machinery to the 2nd largest council in Australia, they will not under any cirumstances alter the original design of anything, under any circumstances, not even keen to fit A tool box in some instances & they are surrounded by engineers!
Put A rubber flap on A mulcher over the top off the original steel flaps, won't even do that.
Why do you reckon that is???
The fact remains you are altering the OEM design of that vehicle or or equipment.

Yep...absolute shit scared of litigation against them.

Good post mate.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more..