Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Replace all suspension bushes

Hey all,

After a bit of advice. I did a search on the forum, on suspension bushes, found some great posts, but does not answer all my questions.

The mechanic confirmed my fears that the suspension bushes are worn. I think the rear control arm bushes are causing my problems.

My Paj, has done 250,000 kms, so I figured I would change them all, front and back. People's posts and Partsqou seems to only indicate the ability to buy bushes for the rear control/trailing arms, not the front. So, do you need to buy complete upper and lower control arms for the front? As bushes replacement aren't available for the front.

If I do all the suspension bushes I need to buy:

* upper and lower control arm bushes for rear
* Trailing arm bushes for rear
* Not sure on the name, but the rear cross member bushes
* If it is possible, front upper and lower control arm bushes

# 1 Am I missing any suspension bushes I should get?
# 2 Should I replace the suspension ball joints while I am at it. Can you remove the control arms without destroying the ball joints?
# 3 People's posts said you could buy OEM bushes for some, but an aftermarket company starting with 'F' for the other. Which ones can I get OEM, and which AM, in your opinion?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Xforce 3" exhaust, Electric brake controller, Lightforce 170 Striker spotlights, Cree broad beam light bar, Front bumper camera, Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Last edited by scribble88; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:13 AM. Reason: Grammar errors
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Can't comment on current availability but from personal experience I would stick with OEM. When I had bushes replaced in my NM they used aftermarket nolathane bushes and it completely stuffed the car from a NVH perspective. Every tiny bump was felt, every road murmur was amplified.
In the end it was a major reason why I sold the car. Just hated the ride and noise.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I personally would only replace the bushes that NEED replacement - both my previous Pajero and my current Pajero have more kms that yours plus did plenty of both towing and off-road work and haven’t required full bush replacement (my current NT is now over 300,000km and, as far as bushes and ball joints, has had only required upper front ball joints, engine mounts, and rear bushes in the bar that goes between the rear hub and the body). Replacement of all bushes would cost thousands!

I would also, as suggested above, try to only use genuine rubber bushes.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Ok, good advice guys thanks.
2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Xforce 3" exhaust, Electric brake controller, Lightforce 170 Striker spotlights, Cree broad beam light bar, Front bumper camera, Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.