Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 26-06-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
The Bridgestone D697 is a great on road "AT" that is suitable for light duty off road work, in LT construction it is only available in 8 ply load rating in 17" and 18" sizes to suit Pajero, Triton, Challenger and Pajero Sport.

3 SA forum members that I know, ran these but after a series of punctures through the tread, shoulders and sidewall in mild off road conditions they have all replaced their tyre's with something different.

OJ.
Yep... I was one of those 3.

In the past 4 and a bit years I've had 3 sets of tires on the NT-

1. Bridgestone D697s - constantly got punctures in what I'd class as mild off-road conditions (3 unrepairable sidewall punctures in 40,000km!). I had so much trouble with punctures with these that I ended up cutting my losses at about 50,000km and threw them away. Extremely quiet though. I would recommend these for maybe a tarmac caravan tower only.

2. BFG ATs - overall great tire with good offroad and good onroad grip, great puncture resistance (over various vehicles, I've done over 200,000km with no 'offroad punctures'), but noisy on a Gen 3-4 with a monocoque chassis.

3. Cooper AT3 LT (10ply) - MUCH quieter than the BFG ATs, more onroad grip (especially in wet), but slightly less grip offroad as they are slightly less aggressive than the BFGs. These are my current tires and to date no punctures.

As the OP wants a strong tire that is quiet, I personally would suggest considering the Cooper AT3 LT but would STRONGLY recommend avoiding the the Bridgestone D697s.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Last edited by geopaj; 27-06-19 at 07:54 AM.
Old 26-06-19

I have just changed from Hankook rf10 to Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 in the 265/60r18 size.
The Hankook handled really well in the wet and dry on road and was fine for tracks and beaches I drive. They were not much noisier or heavier on fuel than the old HT Dunlop and lasted 90,000 so very happy with them. Excellent value for money.
Changed over to a LT construction in preparation for an upcoming trip and done less than 1,000 km so far. Initial thoughts are positive, bit time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-06-19
Valued Member

The Hankook ATM RF10 AT is availble in an extra load passenger construction and is a good replacement tyre for those wanting an AT tread pattern, doing mild off roading and carrying or towing loads regularly.

Once on corrugated dirt for extended periods, then it is LT construction tyre's at lowered pressures that give you the most reliable performance. On every trip away I come across many people with tyre failures, most common is passenger construction tyre's followed by 6 and 8 ply LT and then there is 10 ply LT. It is not only the construction of the tyre but also the age, wear, condition, and pressure of the tyre and the speed that you drive as well as the suspension setup and loads being carried that all effect how reliable a tyre is off the bitumen.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 27-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrubby View Post
Can't advice on quiet tyres, but my Maxxis AT980 make a fair bit of noise, so you could safely cross those off your list.

This forum needs a like function....

Similar logic you can add the Yokohama AT-S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-06-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
This forum needs a like function....

Top right hand corner of the first post per page is a "rate thread" function.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .