Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Falken Wildpeak AT3

G’Day

Falken wildpeak AT3, anyone running them?
https://www.falken.com.au/product/wildpeak-at3w/

Cheers
Scottie
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Falken Wildpeak

Hello Scottie... I've had them on (26560R18 XL) for 5000km. Replaced the original Dunlops, very slightly more noise, fuel consumption increased by about 1.5 to 2 l per hundred k around town and about 1 to 1.5 on the highway. They are a heavier tyre and more effort required to move them. Had them on the beach down to 18psi and had no problems whatsoever. They handle gravel very well with good grip. In the wet is the same. I know 5000km is not a lot but I'm very happy with them so far... Check out this write up
https://lastxplorer.com/falken-wildp...?cn-reloaded=1
If that link doesn't work check out my post below in this section dated 12/12/18
2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Replaced a set of Dunlop AT22 (or which ever highway pattern they were). Have done about 10,000km on a them.

Fuel consumption went up similar to Hazpet, but I increased size from 265/65R17 to 265/70R17, also added 60, 70mm lift at same time. Big lift?? Yep, but only because it had sagged so much.

In my fuel consumption calculations I haven't taken into account the affect on the odometer of the larger diameter tyres.

Haven't noticed an increase in noise over the Dunlops

The tyres are heavy. I have a set of half worn 26570r17 Mickey Thompsons MTZs on Triton rims and the AT3s are a good few kg heavier.

Overall pretty happy with them. Son has Mickey T D38s on his Triton. I was going to go for them or a Toyo, but the Falkens had a buy 3 get 1 free offer, and we get really good mileage out of them on our work utes so I though I would give them a go.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Tyre weights vary a bit between brands but as a rule of thumb;
P265/65R17 17-19kg.
LT265/65R17 21-23kg.
LT 265/70R17 25-27kg.

So it is possible to gain up to 10kg per tyre by going from a 65 series lightweight passenger tyre to a heavy duty AT/MT 70 series tyre. This weight increase is significant as it adds to the unsprung weight so struts and shockers must work much harder. Fuel consumption will increase as the tyre gets heavier and the tread pattern becomes more aggressive.

No free lunch for off road grip and toughness!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Tyre weights vary a bit between brands but as a rule of thumb;
P265/65R17 17-19kg.
LT265/65R17 21-23kg.
LT 265/70R17 25-27kg.

So it is possible to gain up to 10kg per tyre by going from a 65 series lightweight passenger tyre to a heavy duty AT/MT 70 series tyre. This weight increase is significant as it adds to the unsprung weight so struts and shockers must work much harder. Fuel consumption will increase as the tyre gets heavier and the tread pattern becomes more aggressive.

No free lunch for off road grip and toughness!

OJ.
Absolutely, which is why I haven't bothered correcting the distance travelled in my fuel calcs. No point comparing the old to the new because of to many changes. Only to see what speeds, or driving techique could get the best out of what I have at moment.

My weights were the Mickey T 265/70 on a 17x7" ML GLS Triton rim, and the AT3 on the NX GLX Paj rim. I couldn't find the figures on line, and couldn't be bothered getting tyres off rims just to satisfy my curiosity.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

You will only find tyre weights on the USA manufacturers websites in lbs so divid by 2.2 to get kg.
People often forget to add 3% to the kms travelled when doing fuel consumption calculations if you have gone up from a 65 to 70 series on a 265/17 tyre. these lessens the shock slightly!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottied View Post
G’Day

Falken wildpeak AT3, anyone running them?
https://www.falken.com.au/product/wildpeak-at3w/

Cheers
Scottie
Hi, I asked the same question on the Facebook Pajero page and the responses were generally good, one commented that they got noisy after 35-40k km but general consensus was they similar to the Toyo AT2 and were better than the Cooper AT3 in the wet and better mileage and $150 a corner cheaper., I’m about to hit the go button on some myself after running the BFG’s, and I’ve been a loyal BfG owner for 6 sets.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazpet View Post
Hello Scottie... I've had them on (26560R18 XL) for 5000km. Replaced the original Dunlops, very slightly more noise, fuel consumption increased by about 1.5 to 2 l per hundred k around town and about 1 to 1.5 on the highway. They are a heavier tyre and more effort required to move them. Had them on the beach down to 18psi and had no problems whatsoever. They handle gravel very well with good grip. In the wet is the same. I know 5000km is not a lot but I'm very happy with them so far... Check out this write up
https://lastxplorer.com/falken-wildp...?cn-reloaded=1
If that link doesn't work check out my post below in this section dated 12/12/18
Thanks mate