• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Welch plug sizes

So I'm getting this magna engine ready to throw into the pajero. While it's out I want to do the welch plugs, especially the rear ones. I thought it would be easy to find them cheap enough on eBay, but seems to be a really limited selection on there. Supercrap has limited selection, and when I called repco the guy said he hadn't sold a Welch plug in years and they don't stock any, but can order them in ( have cars suddenly stopped needing Welch plugs replaced?)

Anyway, wanted to confirm sizes. Computer has died that had the workshop manual on it so I can't check there. I'm assuming the pajero engine and magna are the same considering everything else is the same. What I've measured:

25mm/1" x 5
    35ish/1 3/8" x 2
    41.25/1 5/8" x1
    32ish/1 1/4" x 2

Anyone know if I've got the right sizes, can tell me if/which ones are sold in imperial or metric etc?

Appreciate any help you can give

Thanks, Stu
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Almost certainly, the plugs will be metric. The engine was designed in Japan, made in Japan, using metric components. I have looked through all my workshop manuals (including the Russian CDs) and can fond no reference to Welch Plugs, other than telling you to remove them when you want to clean out the inners of the engine block.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Just had a look on Partsouq.com and they have all the welch plugs listed on the engine diagrams. They do have some of the sizes listed for each one.

At least buying through them you know you'll have the correct ones.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Big help, thanks guys. I'll check out that website and go from there

I thought they would have to be metric as well, and I haven't removed them yet (on the off chance I can't find them) so I haven't measured the holes exactly. I had the right that maybe only certain sizes are standard, so maybe on the magna they used a mix of metric and imperial based on the standard sizes sold by manufacturers.

Thanks for the help

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

I checked out partsouq and it put me on the right track. Thanks for the heads up with that

Sizes listed there are 25mm x 5, 35mm x 2, 32mm x 2, 41mm x 1. This is for the magna as listed there. I didn't check the pajero in case there is a difference

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto