• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Winch busted or repairable?

Took the Intercooler guard off my NX to replace with a Boo’s Bash Plate last night and found this situation on the back of my Warn Tabor 10K winch...

Those two bolts on the right ain’t meant to be hovering in thin air. If I didn’t know any better I’d say the line hasn’t been spooled on correctly, or the line is too long, or a combo of both. Looks like it’s been broken a while.

Winch still works... I’ve used it a few times. Looks like these are essentially a stop guard but what should I do. Just leave it? I was thinking of replacing the line with a synthetic one anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 18-01-19, 02:21 PM.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The tie rods are to keep the motor, at one end of the spool, and the gearbox, at the other end of the spool, all aligned correctly, so it is important to fix this. Since it is a Warn you should be able to buy the end plate as a spare part, most likely online will be the cheapest.

It is likely the end plate has failed because it has been over stressed too many times with the wire rope bunched up at one end of the spool.

If fitting a synthetic rope ensure the first layer of rope has a heat proof sleeve over it as the spool drums can get very hot and damage the synthetic rope.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Onslow
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      The tie rods are to keep the motor, at one end of the spool, and the gearbox, at the other end of the spool, all aligned correctly, so it is important to fix this. Since it is a Warn you should be able to buy the end plate as a spare part, most likely online will be the cheapest.

It is likely the end plate has failed because it has been over stressed too many times with the wire rope bunched up at one end of the spool.

If fitting a synthetic rope ensure the first layer of rope has a heat proof sleeve over it as the spool drums can get very hot and damage the synthetic rope.

OJ.
      X2.

There is a winch expert in Melbourne who manufactures extended Tie-Ends to minimise this issue, for those times when you absolutely have to winch on an angle, which as OJ mentioned, causes the cable to bunch up at the ends of the drum.
      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

OJ.

Thanks very much OJ. Excellent info. I found an exploded diagram of the winch, including all part numbers and I can go from here. Looks like I'll need to be taking the bull bar off sometime this year then! Do you think it's a big risk if i needed to use the winch in the meantime? I suppose it's hard to know.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
          X2.

There is a winch expert in Melbourne who manufactures extended Tie-Ends to minimise this issue, for those times when you absolutely have to winch on an angle, which as OJ mentioned, causes the cable to bunch up at the ends of the drum.
          Thanks mate, any chance you have any leads for me? I did a google search for them but couldn't find anything.

Comment

• Onslow
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
            Thanks mate, any chance you have any leads for me? I did a google search for them but couldn't find anything.
            Malcolm Leslie at S.G Leslie and Sons in West Heidelberg.

Address: 19 Mologa Rd, Heidelberg West VIC 3081
            Phone: (03) 9459 2859

Can't recommend this guy enough - old school but really knows his stuff.
            NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
              Thanks very much OJ. Excellent info. I found an exploded diagram of the winch, including all part numbers and I can go from here. Looks like I'll need to be taking the bull bar off sometime this year then! Do you think it's a big risk if i needed to use the winch in the meantime? I suppose it's hard to know.

Yes, in a high load winching operation there could be enough load to induced flex that could damage the winch, particularly if the winch is mounted so the mounting base of the winch is vertical as this that puts compression or tension loads on the winch base attachments, and the tie rods are designed to counteract these forces. If the winch is mounted with the base in the horizontal plane then one tie rod is in compression and on is in tension whilst the base mounting bolts are in shear so the loads on the tie rods are reduced.

As a temporary repair you could see if you could relocate the tie rods back into the correct position and tighten the cap head screws firmly, there maybe enough metal left on the end plate to take moderate winching loads in an emergency. This will only work if you re-spool the wire rope evenly and keep it that way.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Adelaide

OJ.
                OJ, is this the case for any winch, or just those with the brake in the drum? The makers of my Sherpa winch claim that because its brake is in the gear box, and not in the drum, heat damage to the rope on the drum should not be a problem. Is that claim reasonable?
                BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
                  OJ, is this the case for any winch, or just those with the brake in the drum? The makers of my Sherpa winch claim that because its brake is in the gear box, and not in the drum, heat damage to the rope on the drum should not be a problem. Is that claim reasonable?
                  Yes it is a reasonable claim. I should have clarified it was for an in spool/drum brake winch.

OJ.

Comment

• hounddog
                    • Jul 2010
                    • nsw

Winch Woes

My 5 year old recovery winch ( bought on ebay) has a broken brake spring, I have searched high and low to try and source the part as it has no manufacturers mark with no avail. it has a 2way spring inside a hub on the drum axle wich I found unusual (see pics) any advice for a solution is appreciated as for the cost to get this part should outweigh trashing the entire unit that has a perfectly good motor and gearbox
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by hounddog; 02-04-19, 01:41 PM. Reason: missing pic

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X