Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 09-06-09

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Pa...3A1%7C294%3A50 this one will fit in front of the axle on the passenger side Cheers Al
Old 09-06-09

Thanks - I found it too. But like the ad did say, it weighs quite a bit and it may be rather involved to ship it. When I add up the cost of the tank, the freight, getting it installed and hooked up to my existing tank, I might as well pay a few hundred bucks more and get a brand new unit, complete with warranty on parts and work. But it is very tempting!
2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

1992 3.0V6 NH GLS - GONE!! The King is dead!! Long Live the King!!
Old 14-06-09

I went down the pathway of a long range tank (150l) for our 1996 2.8 ITD.

Main reason was that when towing the camper (15-16l/100km) the 90 tank didnt give us the range we wanted for all of the reasons previously mentioned.

I managed to get onto a 2nd hand tank which still cost a bit (freight from far north Qld to vic was a challenge).

Interestingly on a recent group trip weekend in the high country of Vic I scanned the UHF just to see who else was around and on the Sunday arvo the theme of the conversation was - will I make it home (on the fuel I have left)??

Because I have the OL LRT - after 300km had basically a full fuel guage (actually burnt about 40 to 45 l) - others in our group were starting to carefully calculate and stress a bit. That said - my LRT does hang down lower and wider - and hence is a bit of a worry (for the seriously) off road. I have begun to realise that the terms 'tourer' and 'serious of roader' are at opposite ends of the 4WD buildup - bugger.

That said -love the fexibility of the LRT - only filled up 4 times in 4000 km of outback SA trip late last year (with camper in tow). BUT hate carting around the additional weight of a full tank when I dont need it (condenstaion issue with 1/2 full diesel tank during winter??) - and the potential to get "siphoned" during high fuel prices.

Hope my 2CW added something to the discussion/ decision

Cheers, Lambie
Old 14-06-09

I have mixed feelings about the LRT. One on hand, as per your experience above, it's sure nice to have all that capacity in your belly and not worry about running out while trying to work your way home. On the other, its the extra weight and cost...

I'm starting to think that 2 factors matter the most - at least in my case: 1) how far between are the available fill-ups in the trips I'm likely to take, and 2) would the rest of the convoy have LRT fitted?

Factor 1) is about the tracks I'd take - mainly I would go out to the Vic high country for 4wding or hunting/fishing. There's always the chance to fill up at the last township, before heading in. And since I expect to have a range of 350kms doing the tracks, and there's no way I'm going to be going up to 175kms each way, I should be quite ok without the LRT. Perhaps I can take a 20lt spare tank along. If I'm doing the French line or something, that's quite a different matter altogether. LRTs are definitely a plus here.

Factor 2) is about not being a pain in the ass of the team. Of course if it's only 'short' trips then everyone should be able to work around last chance fill-ups. However if the trip screams out for more fuel than my tanks capacity, and everyone else has them, I would surely install an LRT should I decide to go along. It's not fair that others have to stop for me to refuel from spare tanks, or be hindered at any time by my desperation for more fuel.

Do the above make sense? Love to hear from those with extensive travelling experience.
2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

Old 15-06-09

I received a quote today from Long Range Automotive who say they do an 81L AUX tax for the NS without rear air-con. It has dual filler necks a gauge and a transfer pump, so assume that it pumps over from Aux tank to main tank.

The cost $1200 + freight in kit form, install is obviously additional.

They sent a couple of pics, and it seems that the ground clearance behind the rear diff is somewhat compromised, more than I hoped it would be. It is a great option for grey nomads tugging the caravan and only doing sealed or good cond dirt roads, but I think for any kind of off-road use it would get bashed up quickly, and that is with mild tracks, in moderate or difficult terrain it is a serious risk.

I'm still looking but it seems that the LRA solution isn't what I'm looking for..
Old 15-06-09

When LRA quoted me (just over the phone) it was for an NH, a complete replacement 140L tank. Inclusive of tax and installation it was $1105 or something like that. They said they'd put one together when I place the order. Wonder why your 81L aux tank costs more. I should ask them for some more details, whether it'll affect my clearance.

Old 15-06-09
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackswine View Post
They sent a couple of pics, and it seems that the ground clearance behind the rear diff is somewhat compromised, more than I hoped it would be.
Here's a 'real world' photo of a Long Ranger tank. It's a little deceptive as it's taken from below the tank lookup up.

Imagine a line from the bottom of the diff to the rear bumper. The tank more or less follows that line. One side benefit, the tank helps stop you ripping the bumper off on sand dunes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 149-4915_IMG.JPG (143.1 KB, 155 views)

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Landrover Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.
Old 15-06-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajrex1456 View Post
When LRA quoted me (just over the phone) it was for an NH, a complete replacement 140L tank. Inclusive of tax and installation it was $1105 or something like that. They said they'd put one together when I place the order. Wonder why your 81L aux tank costs more. I should ask them for some more details, whether it'll affect my clearance.
The aux tanks cost more as they include a dual filler neck, a pump, and a gauge along with all the plumbing etc, whereby the replacement would use most of the original parts, and there is no 2nd pump, gauge, filler neck etc.
Old 17-06-09
Valued Member

We put the 81L aux tank on ourV6 NM. Cost heaps but we wanted to do the Simpson, that left us with no choice, fit one or dont go. Jerries are not an option as there are 4 of us. We are about to head off on our second crossing, that makes it only $700 per trip now. Go for it, you wont regret it.
Plus as mentioned you dont need to fill up as often, only longer when you do.
Suspension may need to be upgraded as well as airbags.
Dean
Old 21-11-13

Default Tank

I have a 55 ltr tank complete sender filler etc for sal roy