• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4ndy
    • Jun 2018
    • North West United Kingdom

Transfer Case - Oil Change?

Hi all,

Serviced the diffs and transfer case today, but the volume of oil for the transfer case was less than expected.
    Service manual states 2.8l but I only managed 2l before it started coming out the fill hole. Front and rear diffs were fine at 1.1l and 1.6l respectively.

Any ideas? Car was level on its wheels at the time.

Thanks,
    Andy.
    MY13 (NW) SG2 LWB

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
    My Build Thread.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Not sure why bud but as long as it's filled up so that it dribbles out of filler hole, that is the correct level. I never bother with the amount listed just the filler hole method.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

As above - simply fill until the oil dribbles out of the filler hole. For what it is worth, my Max Elery W/S manual states early in the Transfer section 2.5 Litres as the capacity, yet in the summary at eh end of that chapter, it says 2.8 Litres. That manual is not known for its technical accuracy.

Comment

• 4ndy
        • Jun 2018

Thank you both. As you say, it was dribbling (gushing when I put another 500ml in thinking I was mistaken), so I'm happy it's full.

Brake fluid and coolant next.

Thanks,
        Andy
        MY13 (NW) SG2 LWB

Foot Rest, Android Head Unit, EGR Resistor Mod (10k), "Car Shades", Other Stuff in Process....
        My Build Thread.

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

Yeah, not sure where the 2.8lt comes from - maybe oil companies, but I've got a note in my maintenance log that it is closer to 2.2lt - and the supposed 3.2lt for the gearbox is closer to 4.0lt.

Cheers
          Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• 4ndy
            • Jun 2018

Thanks GHendo, I've made the same note! Thanks for the heads up on the gearbox too.
            MY13 (NW) SG2 LWB

My Build Thread.

Comment

• ofer24
              • Jul 2015
              • Israel

Originally posted by 4ndy View Post
              Hi all,

Serviced the diffs and transfer case today, but the volume of oil for the transfer case was less than expected.
              Service manual states 2.8l but I only managed 2l before it started coming out the fill hole. Front and rear diffs were fine at 1.1l and 1.6l respectively.

Any ideas? Car was level on its wheels at the time.

Thanks,
              Andy.
              Just for the record...
              I have a 2015 Pajero 3.2 and I also just changed the transfer oil. Only 2L went in... That's how I found this post. All seems to be well.
              Cheers,

Comment

• twisted32
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

Because the listed volume is for a "dry fill".
                When you drain it on car, some oil is trapped in the front half of the transfer due to the design.
                MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X