• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kblof
    • Apr 2017
    • Radelaide

It won't happen to me - she'll be right

Yep it won't happen to me!
    Blew the diesel motor up in Ceduna, stupid me ran out of fuel the night before 5 km out of Ceduna on our 2 week trip from Adelaide to Perth for Easter. Nice bloke stopped and helped us out with a lift into town and back with a new jerry full of diesel, started the car and stayed in Ceduna as planned. Awoke day 2 checked the oil etc. as I do each morning when travelling and all good. 1-2 km from caravan park whilst driving a huge bang followed by a huge white cloud of smoke. I knew straight away she was knackered and kicked myself for
    1; letting the old girl run out fuel, stupid rookie mistake
    2; buying a new set of spotlights instead of the secondary fuel filter
    3; not carrying a jerry can on the camper trailer full of diesel
    4; not swapping out the fuel filter that night with a spare i carry (don't think this would have helped tho)
    Looks like some crud from the tank has gone through the factory filter and hit and blown the end of a maybe suspect injector shooting a hole through the piston and BANG!
    Had the car towed to McEvoy Transport in Ceduna, who were awesome, they had my car and trailer back in Adelaide in 3 days for me.
    MORAL of the story guys is for the sake of $300 do the secondary filter it could save you $8-10 k as it is about to cost me
    2011 NT Pajero| DID
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

Ouch, sorry to hear about your misadventure and thanks for sharing. It just may help someone else from same predicament. Speaking for myself I've learned a great deal by following this forum and have thus avoided some bad situations.

Best of luck and hope it works out for you.

Comment

• Brownie
      • Nov 2008
      • Brisbane

How do you know the crud is from your tank - could have been from the supplied diesel. Would be smart to collect a fuel sample and get it analysed. Some insurance companies will cover the damage caused by poor quality fuel.
      Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
      Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• kblof
        • Apr 2017
        • Radelaide

thanks benckj me too.

Good question Brownie my mechanic was going to confirm for me as well as remove and clean the tank, see how it goes?
        2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• JoshF
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
          How do you know the crud is from your tank - could have been from the supplied diesel. Would be smart to collect a fuel sample and get it analysed. Some insurance companies will cover the damage caused by poor quality fuel.
          Some fuel companies also if fuel analysis proves it was them
          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Hill
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

I'm suspecting some petrol entered tank at some stage and entered fuel system. Petrol "floats" on diesel.

Hill
            200 Series
            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Aspey
              • Dec 2015
              • Great Southern Land

That sucks kblof. Cant tell if anything you did caused it for sure but it would be interesting to find out if bad fuel was the culprit.
              NP VRX DID

Comment

• ticky
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                I'm suspecting some petrol entered tank at some stage and entered fuel system. Petrol "floats" on diesel.

Hill
                As I was reading the story, I was wondering about Petrol. Maybe the new Jerrycan had been used before???
                2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• ticky
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Adelaide

I'm putting a secondary Filter on next service. Ive made the bracket up and the car is about due for a service now.

I have a couple weeks off of my studies so maybe next week.
                  Attached Files
                  2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Hill View Post

Hill
                    I thought it was once considered a good idea to add a small amount of petrol to the diesel to improve performance etc. Surely they would mix?

Comment

• razorback
                      • Nov 2008
                      • Cairns QLD

Not petrol, never ever!! But 2 stroke oil is seen to improve fuel efficiency. As far as I remember 200ml on a tank full.
                      Pajero NT VRX,3.2DID,Cool Silver, MMC Alu Bull Bar, No-Limt chip+Boost control unit,IPF HID, 65L AUX,Airtech Snorkel,Diff lock and traction control mod,Diff breathers,EFS HD Springs and Shocks,HD Airbag man Airbags,Dual Battery,rear camera on roof rack, Bushskins Inter-cooler+Sump+Trans-guards +Rockslider side steps, 120 Watt LED light bar on roof rack

Comment

• kiwi1973
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • New Zealand

Crud from the tank shouldn't have got passed the fuel filter. More likely fuel contamination, petrol in the jerry etc. Please do update thread when cause and full extent of damage known.
                        2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Nxnmmnmk
                          • Feb 2018
                          • Sa

Could it have been metal filings from the diesel pump caused by running out of fuel?
                          NX GLS 2015 new addition
                          NM exceed
                          MN triton dual cab
                          MK triton tray top

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

OK - so people reckon that petrol in diesel is a bad thing - I agree, but what about those people who have accidentally put petrol into their diesel tanks? They have driven for a while and then discovered the mistake. What then - if petrol doesn't mix with diesel, does this mean that there is still petrol in the fuel tank even after they have drained the tank (you never fully drain it)

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
                              OK - so people reckon that petrol in diesel is a bad thing - I agree, but what about those people who have accidentally put petrol into their diesel tanks? They have driven for a while and then discovered the mistake. What then - if petrol doesn't mix with diesel, does this mean that there is still petrol in the fuel tank even after they have drained the tank (you never fully drain it)
                              Petrol does mix with diesel. I,ve accidentally added petrol once. No damage --thank god!!
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X