• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fikse
    • Oct 2016
    • Norway

Norway calling

Ill just have to start with this one:
    Hi all! After driving some swedish, french, german, japs cars, all with 2wd and limited space for our 3 kids and dog, me and my better side bought a '00 Pajero Sport 4WD 3,0 V6 autogear a couple of years ago.

Here is a picture of my mancave:

It's messy, but its mine

No mancave without a stereo:

It's old and relatively cheap, we wanted to test if the kind of car was something for us. And it was and is. The Sport is a L200 with closed cabin, so it's a tad more narrow than the Pajero, but several vital components is shared. I loved the engine, and the fact that we did not have to worrie about getting up that hill during the snowy wintertime. Winter 2015/16 I had the joy to helping several of my neighbours when they couldn't get their cars to work in the snow. I must admit I had some fun
    A year ago we bought a '05 Outlander 4WD 2.0 manual. Well, my wife wanted it. Quite soon after we saw that the first generation Outlander is a rather small car, absolutely not suitable for 3 kids in rear. The pretty harsh and stiff suspension did not fit my arse, thats for sure.
    That one sold (after using too many hours in the mancave, replacing all brakes, timing belt, all oils and fluids, etc), and in October we finally got a fullsize Pajero Dakar Edition

with most of the bells&whistles available at the time. When driving the car home from the buyer (other "end" of Norway, 9 hours drive to home) the AC-compressor started to make some fun noises, this I got the private seller to cover it. 3 weeks later it occationally stopped on idle. Diesel full of water! Rusted filler neck (from filler to tank), rusted tank, defect dieselpump, etc etc. Since it came clear the seller knew the filler neck was shaite, I got seller to pay most of the AUS 13.000,- bill. This was about christmas time. Now, after this, I have replaced brake rotors&pads, some joints in front, and had a fine time struggling with the inlet manifold, filled up with gunk. Removed all gunk, blanked EGR, new dino oil to flush, QMI oil system cleaner, QMI 3-step cleaner, new cheapo oil to flush, and finally Royal Purple HMX 10W-30 with QMI engine treatment and 4 MANN-filters later engine runs as new, no joke. Pretty sure I have gained 30-50 horses. Engine is 3.2, 185 hp / 450-500Nm, not common rail but with electronic EGR, autogear with extended cooling.. 7 seats and good space is just perfect for us. Its spacy, it's relatively quiet, and comfort on our bad roads is just brilliant. I misses a few comfort-things, like memory on seat/mirror-settings reversing camera, and multimedia for the rear seats, stuff I used to have on previous cars. In March this year I spotted a identical '00 Pajero Sport

for sale at a very reasonable price, even if it's very well equipped with leather, compass, bull bars with Hella lights, 2-tone paint, AC. It was not accepted by the authorities because of rust in frame. I bought it, to use as a donorcar
    Swap cabin with my first Sport that is in nice condition technically and regarding rust. I must admit that my petrolheart is warmest for the Sport, with it's supersmooth 3-litre V6 and fascinating low noise level in cabin (it's very well insulated for a SUV), and now I can get better seats, lights and climate for a very fine price.
    Well, enough about cars. I have to show my treasure, '86 US Yamaha FZX700.

A rather seldom bike, with quite some oomph and quite acceptable roadholding, considering the age.

A couple of pictures of our place:

It's not always raining here... This is taken today, 17.may (our national day):

THIS is where we live, almost as far west it's possible to get in Norway. When standig at top on the hill behind our house, it's possible to see the gas-fire from oil platforms in the North Sea. This is 1 minute from our house, and shows an example for how the roads here are: Narrow, upphill or downhill and almost no straightforwards. Locally we have several constructions from Hitlers WW2, like Fjell Fort, Telavaag, and more. Norway was occupied by Nazi Germany 1940-45. Today Norway is a rather peaceful place on earth, with 5 million citisens and a large part of Norway is "untouched" nature. Since we are situated quite far north, it is more dark hours than daylight during wintertime, and in summerseason there is daylight from 5-6AM until 10PM. Weather is very variable, from -40 °C in the mountain to 25-30 °C at a very hot summerday, still it is large variables depending on where you are.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fikse; 18-05-17, 03:47 AM.
    Duct tape is like the force - it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
    My introduction.

Matched content

Collapse
Working...
X