• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wongapaj
    • Oct 2011
    • Wonga Park

New roof rack from OCAM

Nice work Pickle and 0415discog. I filed off the raised spigots too to help it sit flat and seal better. I sent some photos of that to OCAM as a suggestion for improvement. The rails and mounts on mine had the same angle issues but straightened out well. That's why I added the 8mm of spacers at the front as I didn't want to put any strain on the roof. It's a nice light but strong rack I reckon. I've got a 2" lift and with the rack on the total vehicle height is under 2.1m so clearances should still be ok. The weather shields look really good too. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NT 30th Anniversary, 3.2 Diesel, Manual, Black, Tinted Windows, HID Lo & Hi, MM Towbar, Prodigy P3, Stebel Horn, MMCS Override, Scangauge II, Dual Battery, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ORU12 Winch, IPF HID Driving lights, UHF, Diff Breathers, D697s, Airtec Snorkel. HD Suspension, Bushskinz

Comment

• Buddha
      • Apr 2013
      • Canberra

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
      Reasonably happy with the rack. However it was not possible to bolt it down exactly straight. Its only about 5-10mm out and not noticeable but I know it's not quite right. The mounting rails were not quite folded at the right angles either. Some of the horizontal mounting plates were angled up, some level and some down. The weight of the rack almost sorted it out. I straightened them all out before bolting the rack down though.
      Only small issues and nothing that posed any dramas I couldn't sort out or put up with. So for the price, I'm very happy.
      As requested I've measured how high it sits. The tape measure is sitting on the rear of the roof in the centre above the rear door.
      Thanks for the measurement Hatto, now to compare that with the current rail set up...

Just spoke with OCAM re a flat rack and they have said they have one suitable so looking at that as well.

They suggested with the flat rack that the awning be bolted between the roof and the rail mount then tightened down as the rack is tightened. Not sure about this, will have to look at where that will sit the awning etc to make sure it clear doors (currently have it mounted inverse to reduce height and flipping it back up could negate any height reduction... more measuring to add to my list

Great pics and instructions from all, looks like a (reasonably) straightforward although fiddly job.

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

Finished mine off today. Reasonably happy with the rack (seems to be well made with no factory imperfections) but fitting is a pain due to the low profile. Once fitted I think you would be comfortable with quality and price.

Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• wongapaj
          • Oct 2011
          • Wonga Park

Nice looking Pajero Dave
          NT 30th Anniversary, 3.2 Diesel, Manual, Black, Tinted Windows, HID Lo & Hi, MM Towbar, Prodigy P3, Stebel Horn, MMCS Override, Scangauge II, Dual Battery, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ORU12 Winch, IPF HID Driving lights, UHF, Diff Breathers, D697s, Airtec Snorkel. HD Suspension, Bushskinz

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Originally posted by wongapaj View Post
            Nice looking Pajero Dave
            Cheers mate, yours is not too shabby either.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Josooowa
              • Dec 2009
              • Adelaide, Australia

Looking good.....so a quick question....my NP GLX does not have the rails, just the gutters where the luxury models have the rails. For those who have done the installation already, does the kit include the parts needed?
              Thanks
              Josh
              Josooowa
              2019 NX GLS ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo
              2004 3.8 NP Manual ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo (soon for sale...)

Comment

• wongapaj
                • Oct 2011
                • Wonga Park

Originally posted by Josooowa View Post
                Looking good.....so a quick question....my NP GLX does not have the rails, just the gutters where the luxury models have the rails. For those who have done the installation already, does the kit include the parts needed?

Thanks

Josh

The rack is a standard model with generic mounting.
                The mating brackets/rails that came with the package are new to suit models that had OEM roof rails. Not sure if yours is just missing the OEM rails or a different set up. Others would be able to help I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hatto
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Mandurah WA

Gday Josh. If you have a channel running down the length of your roof on each side then you're off to a good start. If each of those channels has 5 holes (no doubt plugged) in them (2 toward the rear, 2 toward the front and one central) then I'd say you're on a winner but definitely investigate with Ocam some more as to weather it'll fit a gen 3 as I think they're listed as an NS -NX rack. The other thing is you will need a set of factory roof rail mounts to bolt it all down to. Which probably means that you would need to buy some factory roof rails just to get the mounts. You could try a wrecker for these.
                  Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                  ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Nab
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Perth

The NM-NP has a different mounting setup to the NS-current models and roof racks are not interchangeable between models. Unless these kits come with separate mounting parts to suit NP then it won't fit. Definitely clarify they have tested it on an NP before parting with your cash.
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Nindez
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Wodonga, Victoria

Gday Josh. If you have a channel running down the length of your roof on each side then you're off to a good start. If each of those channels has 5 holes (no doubt plugged) in them (2 toward the rear, 2 toward the front and one central) then I'd say you're on a winner but definitely investigate with Ocam some more as to weather it'll fit a gen 3 as I think they're listed as an NS -NX rack. The other thing is you will need a set of factory roof rail mounts to bolt it all down to. Which probably means that you would need to buy some factory roof rails just to get the mounts. You could try a wrecker for these.
                      The racks are listed as 2000 - 2017. I am pretty sure rails did not come into it until NP/ late NM.
                      On paper it looks as if these fit non rail Pajeros but I am not sure. I am following this thread to see if someone has/ will fit to Pajero without rails.
                      When I get the funds to procure one of these then I will be emailing Ocam to find out for sure if it fits. If someone here hasn't done so already.
                      This rack does look good and I really want one. It will be a bugger if they don't fit my beast.
                      Cheers, Nic

MY 02 NM Pajero GLS 3.2 TD Auto. Dual battery. 2" TJM lift. Toyo AT II on 16" alloy road wheels - Maxxis Bighorn 764s 265/75 16 on 16" steel offroad wheels. GME TX3550s UHF. Facebook special Lightbar ( No idea on specs). ARB steel bullbar. TJM/ Airtech Snorkel. TJM Trans bash plate. Boos Intercooler& Sump bash plates.

Comment

• jimako
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Hi Guys
                        Anyone got some close up pics of how the rail is mounted around the mounting pads?
                        I just want to see how neat it looks when done.
                        Is there any metal to metal contact between the rail and the roof?
                        Does it effect drainage?

Cheers
                        2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• Hatto
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mandurah WA

The centre mount on each side bolts the mounting rails directly to the roof obviously with a sealant around the bolt hole so in a way, it's metal mount to metal roof with sealant between them. The front and back mounts bolt down to nuts inserted from the bottom of the old roof rail mounting pads. So no metal to metal there. I think the factory mounting pads are some sort of hard plastic from memory. I'll snap a few pics tonight if I remember and post em up here for ya.
                          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Axis
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Highett Vic

Mounting brackets only

Hi all,

Is the general consensus that these mounts are considerably stronger than the factory rails? I am interested in the mounting brackets to use with my existing roof basket, although it is a wire style so I would need some support across from mount to mount. Might not work - any opinions appreciated.

I have contacted Ocam to see if they sell these separately. Depending on cost and supports/braces it may be better to sell the basket and get the full kit.

While I would love a track system this seems to be a good compromise as a track system is about $600 (tracks and bars only) and a more work to install.

Cheers,
                            James
                            07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• jimako
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Hoppers Crossing VIC

The centre mount on each side bolts the mounting rails directly to the roof obviously with a sealant around the bolt hole so in a way, it's metal mount to metal roof with sealant between them. The front and back mounts bolt down to nuts inserted from the bottom of the old roof rail mounting pads. So no metal to metal there. I think the factory mounting pads are some sort of hard plastic from memory. I'll snap a few pics tonight if I remember and post em up here for ya.
                              Thanks Hatto,

I just don't want something that's going to cause some damage later on, maybe a plastic washer between the rail and roof on the center bolt and lots of silicone to seal it up?
                              2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• twisted32
                                • Jan 2015
                                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Axis View Post
                                Hi all,

Is the general consensus that these mounts are considerably stronger than the factory rails? I am interested in the mounting brackets to use with my existing roof basket, although it is a wire style so I would need some support across from mount to mount. Might not work - any opinions appreciated.

I have contacted Ocam to see if they sell these separately. Depending on cost and supports/braces it may be better to sell the basket and get the full kit.

While I would love a track system this seems to be a good compromise as a track system is about $600 (tracks and bars only) and a more work to install.

Cheers,
                                James
                                Watch this space. I am about to install the ARB rails and mate that with a flat pioneer platform. I would have gone with the Ocam and a flat rack, but 2.2m just sits too far forward for my liking as I am trying to improve aero for when the rack is empty. Comparing how the rhino backbone mounts mate with the pioneer rack it all should work with minor modification (rhino dont do their backbone mount for the pajero).
                                MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X