• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Premium or regular Unleaded fuel?

My wife's Outlander runs OK on regular unleaded fuel, but has slightly better pickup and economy when I use premium grade fuels. I am currently doing a series of runs on premium to see if the extra cost is offset by using less fuel. For short runs, I think there is little difference in consumption and the regular unleaded wins, but for longer runs, the premium may turn out to be cheaper. At this stage, the jury is still out. Certainly E10 is way out of contention - consumption is a lot higher. What is everyone's experience on this issue?
  • Arcticsoldier
    • Mar 2015
    • Australia

I ran E10 95 on my Evo8mr and my ninja 300. both were tuned to run that type of petrol though.
    from what i understand you should only see 3% difference in milage. isnt it mandatory for NSW to have E10 now anyways? I ran it purely for the higher octane. If you have a newer car, check the manual, it should say if the car is E10 compatible or not. TBH on my ninja 300 using unleaded 91 compared to unleaded E10 (95) it felt more zippy on the E10 but then again, it also has a higher octane rating. also no problems running E10/E85 on the evo for years. with E85 i could only manage 300km from a 55lt tank, with E10 or 95 i would consistantly get 450km
    cheapest way I found when using premium is having several jerry cans and filling them up on when on the cheaper days. add your discount docket if you use certain brand of fuels and it should end up only marginally more expensive to run 95 over 91.
    Last edited by Arcticsoldier; 29-12-16, 06:26 AM. Reason: english grammer
    2013 Ninja 300
    Ford Everest Titanium MY17 - Rhino racks, Rola titan tray, Provent 200 catch can, Donaldson prefilter, HIDs allround

Comment

• Peterng
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2013
      • Northern Rivers NSW

I had a VR 95 commodore ute..(luved that car)
      Used premium fuel, the old v6 sang like a bird on the stuff and purred like a kitten.
      Smooth as silk, didn't pink and pig root when I was tight with funds and stuck the cheapie unleaded in it.
      It cost s few dracma more per litre but premium is better by a mile..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

Just avoid E10 and run premium. Your injectors and fuel system will thank you in their old age.

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • Maitland, NSW

I found 95 to be the sweet spot for me.
          91 and e10 gave me similar economy results, 95 and 98 the engine ran noticeably smoother and better economy.
          Cents per kilometre though the 91 won with 95 a close second, but I stayed with 95 as my regular.
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• 2bad4u
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Hill View Post
            Just avoid E10 and run premium. Your injectors and fuel system will thank you in their old age.

Hill
            Ditto.

I've been running 98 in my cars for 15+ years. Did a comparison early on and there was an improvement and have only used 98 since then in all of my cars (V8, 6, 4 and turbo 4). Can't tell if there was an improvement in my recent cars because I wouldn't know, just habit now.
            Warren
            2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
            2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• KrAsh
              • Apr 2014
              • SE Melbourne

Hill

That's a fairly misguided comment.

E10 is good for a premium unleaded rated fuel, usually run around a 93-95 RON (octane) rating and with the small percentage of ethanol in them will assist with keeping the fuel system and combustion chamber clean. Also will help a lot of vehicles with detonation especially in the summer months, if you have ever sat next to a late model car and listened the things rattle their head off due to our poor quality fuels.

Usually will use a little more, this happens as an offset to an ethanol product but the benefit is obviously a cost saving to the motorist. I ran a flex fuel SV6 for some time and also tuned my VZ senator to United E85 and yes seen a significant change in economy, less so with the SV6 as it ran on Caltex product which was around the 75% ethanol content whereas United product consistently around 90%.

Comment

• hinsch
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Perth

I had a VT commodore V6, I ran it of BP Premium 98 octane, car loved it power was there fuel used was less compared to regular.
                Around the city because it is constant stop go all the time probably regular over premium is going to be cheaper, if you do distance driving as I was 90km to work and back all open road premium cost more per litre but better fuel economy, so for 1000km same price.
                NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• Hill
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Adelaide

re Your injectors and fuel system will thank you in their old age. That's a fairly misguided comment.

Time will tell.

Hill
                  200 Series
                  AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• KrAsh
                    • Apr 2014
                    • SE Melbourne

Premium or regular Unleaded fuel?

re Your injectors and fuel system will thank you in their old age. That's a fairly misguided comment.

Time will tell.

Hill

Care to enlighten us all on what there is to expect rather than just saying it will? I've played with ethanol for a few years now (not just filling cars with it) and am yet to see on regular passenger vehicle use an issue.

If you leave it stagnant it can attract moisture however the low percentage in e10 it won't.

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by KrAsh View Post
                      Care to enlighten us all on what there is to expect rather than just saying it will? I've played with ethanol for a few years now (not just filling cars with it) and am yet to see on regular passenger vehicle use an issue.

If you leave it stagnant it can attract moisture however the low percentage in e10 it won't.
                      You have answered your own question.

Some additional reading http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...damage-engine/

Hill
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• KrAsh
                        • Apr 2014
                        • SE Melbourne

Scare mongering if I've ever read it, show me some factual evidence of this please.

Actually to be quite honest there are plenty of cars running ethanol blends on nothing more than a set of larger injectors and fuel pump that have been doing so since it was readily available. And you know what none have had an issue.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

And you know what none have had an issue.

And you are able to substantiate that with facts, figures and maybe peer reviewed?

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by KrAsh View Post
                            Actually to be quite honest there are plenty of cars running ethanol blends on nothing more than a set of larger injectors and fuel pump that have been doing so since it was readily available. And you know what none have had an issue.
                            Plenty of modified cars cope with ethanol blends? Wow! Who would've thought?
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• KrAsh
                              • Apr 2014
                              • SE Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                              Plenty of modified cars cope with ethanol blends? Wow! Who would've thought?

A standard car will also, there are no special injectors nor fuel pumps it's just larger capacity. Also have tested a standard vehicle , a Subaru Forester to be specific, will safely take upto 30% ethanol with no changes to anything, enough fat in factory tune.

The ones who bag it have never touched the stuff. That's pretty much fact

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X