• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwoods
    • Oct 2012
    • Melbourne

Actual mechanical differences between NS and NT onwards

Is there an authoritative list anywhere of the actual mechanical differences between the NS and the NT?

Recently bought a NS (after previously owning a NW) as a friend insisted the cars are mechanically identical, the difference is just a different tune + the DPF.

After purchase, and poking around at part numbers and such, it appears the mechanical differences are;
    * Gearbox (newer 5-speed on NT with better ratios)
    * DPF
    * Intake manifold (although often upgraded to NT one by Mitsu under warranty)
    * Injectors
    * Turbo (?? - I'm seeing conflicting info on this - either same turbo but more boost, or different turbo)
    * Head changes (?? - I see mention of this, but not what changed)

Can anybody confirm/correct/elaborate? Yes, have searched for this, but forum posts conflict each other.

Am only interested in mechanical differences. Am aware of more sound deadening etc in newer models.
    Last edited by jwoods; 09-07-18, 11:39 AM.
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

And is there a difference in final drive (dif) ratio? Might explain some fuel consumption differences.
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

Hi jwoods -
      Auto gearboxes are diffrent.
      Manuals have a diffrent (non variable vane) turbo, the flange may be diffrent too.
      Nt auto has a more free flowing dpf. Injectors are the same.
      Ns has butterflies inside the intake manifold which i beleive are not present in later models.
      The upper intake was updated on some ns's to the nt model with the map sensor higher up.
      Diffent tune compared to NT and later.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• jwoods
        • Oct 2012
        • Melbourne

Just looked up the part number for the injectors and seems they're the same on all the DiD Pajero's -- so indeed.

So I'm curious - there are many dyno sheets floating around showing the NS and the NT after a ECU remap, and the NS at best makes slightly short of stock NT figures, where a reflashed NT makes more again.

Gearbox/diff ratios may make a difference to where the car makes power, but surely a reflashed NS with the DPF removed should be pretty darn close to a tuned NT/NW/NX if the engine/turbo are the same (mine is an auto).
        Last edited by jwoods; 10-07-18, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• kiwi1973
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • New Zealand

Originally posted by Garc View Post
          And is there a difference in final drive (dif) ratio? Might explain some fuel consumption differences.
          Diffs are the same across all years (except late model NX in Aussie and earlier in the UK market).

Auto diesel 3.917
          Petrol models 4.3
          Manual 4.1
          2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

I believe the turbos are different - NT has variable vane, NS doesn't.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• twisted32
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

NS also has slightly higher compression ratio than NT onwards (0.5:1 higher from memory).
              MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• jwoods
                • Oct 2012
                • Melbourne

The above replies are appreciated, but I've also seen other posts on this very forum which indicate:
                * the auto and manual NS don't run a variable vane turbo, the NT does
                * the auto NS has the same variable vane turbo then the NT
                * the auto NS has a smaller variable vane turbo than the NT
                * the heads are identical
                * the heads are different

Confused

Is there an authoritative source anywhere which can prove or disprove the above?

The best way would be to look up part numbers from a workshop manual or something - but I can't seem to locate anything that actually has part numbers for engine internal/turbo/exhaust components.

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

it may take some time figuring out models etc but this site has OEM part numbers for pretty much every aspect of each car they cover

Are you looking for reliable Mitsubishi parts? Then go to our online store and use auto parts catalogs or speed up your search by entering the part number!

On second thoughts after a quick look I cant see anything new enough, not saying its not there just I did not see it
                  Last edited by stumagoo; 10-07-18, 11:13 PM.
                  1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                  *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                  1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• jwoods
                    • Oct 2012
                    • Melbourne

Ya I've been looking at various part sites - and cannot see the info I'm after.

I'm also assuming overseas models are mechanically the same - the NS does seem to be listed in EU markets as '170hp' versus the NT+ which is '200hp' which seems about right.

Comment

• Piet Potjie
                      • May 2016
                      • Pretoria SA

South African NS models

In South Africa we have no manual Pajero's from NP on so all NS models are auto.
                      NS have no PDF's fitted only CAT's.
                      The turbo's on NS auto's are non variable vane and judging by eye, look very much like the one fitted to my sons 2.5 Triton.
                      Cooling system without electric fan (as fitted to NP - some have fitted e-fan from NP)
                      Inlet manifolds do not have flaps.
                      The engine output on the 3.2 NS is slightly lower than the NP (about 2 kw according to handbook and torque also down )
                      Most NS models seem to have been fitted with TC and without difflock.
                      No transmission protection.
                      The differentials are 3.917 ratio.

Interestingly we do not suffer from the soot deposit as badly as you guys do. ie it gets dirty thanks to EGR but never choked. Most blank off EGR once out of warranty. Yet we also tow a lot and our 120km/h is not policed as strictly as your 100km/h and "able" to travel at higher average speeds on the tar roads. Having come from lube industry I do not believe our lubes are any better than yours.

Comment

• Seigried
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2016
                        • brisbane

He Piet
                        I beleive that ZA may not have signed up to the euro 3 standards at that time?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X