• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LanaB
    • Nov 2012
    • Millicent, SA near some of the best sand/beach driving in Australia

Torsion bar standard diameter

Hi all,
    I know this is the Challenger forum, but I believe that my 05 MK Triton is the same suspension, and trying to find info about the torsion bars.
    Does anyone know what diameter is standard?
    I am looking at uprating my torsion bars. Looking at what is available, several quote "26mm diameter / 30% stronger". As far as I know, mine have never been changed, BUT, they measure 26.5mm (with vernier calipers).cheers in advance
    2005 MK Triton GLS 2.8TD manual, some fruit, much more to come.
    retired .. '94 NJ, GLS, swb, 3.0l
  • Mighty Mick
    • Dec 2014
    • Central West NSW

I've got a few on an eBay watchlist for the PA Challenger. Looking up the Triton bars they appear to be the same. Most aren't mentioning the diameter because it's not really critical. One does indicate 27.5mm. It will vary between bars base on their material and manufacturing, I suppose, and what the claim of percentage gain over standard. I mean, the diameter alone does not reflect the strength or rigidity of the bar.

From what I've read about the real heavy duty bars, they can make normal driving a bit scary. I'm looking to replace mine with as close as possible to standard.

The bar itself locates only on the spline. There's nothing between the rear of the splines (ie, the whole length of the shaft) that makes the diameter critical. Clearance to surrounding plates/body work is at least a fat finger. The only other part with any relationship to the shaft is the rubber boot. I don't think the rubber boot will be overly concerned about 26mm to 27.5mm variations between brands.

PA Challengers are 1307mm long. They are priced at $320 or more for a pair. If you find a bargain, let us know.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X