• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vk7hch
    • Oct 2013
    • Kingston Beach, Tasmania

Which foxwing style awning?

I am forward planning my next awning. I want to get a better quality foxwing (270 degree) style this time. I have a cheap one, but it is very difficult to setup and pack upon my own and can't support it's own weight.
    I am drawn towards the Drifta 270/Bunduawn 360/Alu-cab shadow awning style. None of these are cheap, all run around the $1500 mark
    Does anyone have experience with these particular models, They look great in videos, good reviews but I want some real world experience please. Would you buy another, if so, why and if not, why not.
    Something that can at least be opened up and support itself, then have the legs dropped, rather that needing two people to setup.
    I realize this is quite a niche market
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.
  • tiger99
    • Oct 2015
    • Brisbane

Google 30 second awning. I've seen one in action. Easy to set up and looks well built. $1000.
    2011 NT RX. Ironbark. 2.5 x 2.5 Awning.

Comment

• vk7hch
      • Oct 2013
      • Kingston Beach, Tasmania

Originally posted by tiger99 View Post
      Google 30 second awning. I've seen one in action. Easy to set up and looks well built. $1000.
      Looks nice, any real world experience anyone? I am sure if needed you could add extra legs to the arms (Like Stefan did with the Bunduawn)
      So far it ticks all the boxes, supports it's own weight and capable of one person setup. And a few hundred $ cheaper too. Thanks tiger99
      2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

I have one of the Darche 270 awnings. Seems pretty well made, and is easy to set up.
        Easily supports it's own weight while you swing it out, and the support legs are attached to the rafters, and just swing down to provide extra stability for wind etc.

I have the walls as well, and there are a couple of extra poles you attach to the other rafters if you want to put the walls up. Otherwise, the 3 attached poles are all that are needed.

It's around the $1k mark. Extra for the walls.
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Is weight an issue with these ? I see the 30 second foxwing is over 20kg.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Merts
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2011
            • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            Is weight an issue with these ? I see the 30 second foxwing is over 20kg.
            Yep. They are all between 20 and 30kg as far as I know.
            Merts
            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Peter5111
              • Jun 2014
              • Tasmania

I have a 30 Second Awning and I'm really happy with it.

You do need a serious roof rack to hang it off. I'm using a Rhino pioneer tray and 2x rhino mounts and that isn't enough. It is quite floppy when setting up which needs to be done carefully.

I plan to add two more Rhino mounts to see if that will tighten things up a bit.

Once set up and pegged down, it's great.

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009
                • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Having owned a Genuine foxwing and being very happy with it - I would probably get the Drifta/Darche if I was buying again.

The lack of 'fixed" support poles is what would convince me to NOT buy the Foxwing if I had my time over..
                However - the Foxwing "Rain gutter" is something that all of those sorts of awnings need and once you have been under heavy rain with one - you will appreciate it being there (although my suggestion is to have it drop into a bucket rather than the corner of the vehicle (unless you can direct the water away from the corner....)

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2014
                  • Wellington,New Zealand

i have no trouble putting up my eco foxwing by myself.The problem comes if it is windy!I have devised a method that i tie the poles back to the pajero first ,then i go round a peg it out.If it is windy(which it often is in NZ) i do wish i had a more sturdy one.I think the drifta one looks good
                  2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                  BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Pajataj
                    • Nov 2013
                    • Melbourne

Im in the market for a foxing also but jeez they aren't cheap. Will keep an eye out for second hand ones.

Comment

• aus_andyk
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Melbourne

Expect to pay at least $400-500 for a foxwing on Gumtree. I've purchased/sold a few to secure walls. The eco-foxwing is a cheaper option, but there are less options in attachments.
                      | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• denmonkey
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Newcastle NSW

I grabbed an oztent foxwing 2nd hand for 400.
                        Great bit of kit. Will get a vid up when I get time.
                        Have a look at the youtube channel 4xoverland if you haven't already.
                        he's had quite a bit of dealing with alucab and did a review on their awning.
                        Seems to be sturdier than the oztent and as others have said the attached legs seem like a bonus.
                        he did have some minor issues with it though if I recall.

I guess it horses for courses on the weight vs build.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X