• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeeGee
    • Aug 2011
    • Perth

fitting 4WD awning to Rola Roof Racks

Hi guys,

I've got Rola Roof Racks on my Paj the same as shown in the photo below. I want to fit a 4wd awning using an upside down L bracket so that I can still fit in underground carparks at work etc. My question though is on the Rola Roof Rack how does the L bracket clear the locking end cap?

I assumed I could simply cut some of the rubber strip off the top of the cross bar and attach the upside down L bracket on the end, but it looks like the end cap gets in the way.

My other issue is that I have no idea where my keys are for the roof rack!

cheers
    Bryan
    Attached Files
    Gunmetal 2007 Pajero GLX DiD Auto, 50mm raised Lovell HD's, Bilsteins, Rear diff lock, long range tank (60L), bull bar, spotties, roof racks, dual batteries, rear wiring for fridge, BFG AT's, Bushskinz underbody protection. 2014 Jayco Swan Outback camper trailer.
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

Just looked at mine, I removed the locking caps as the awning fits up fairly close to the cross bar.
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Axis
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Highett Vic

We have the factory roof racks which are the same as Rhino Sportz. Had no keys and Roof Rack Superstore were able to get us a set.

I ground down the end caps so they were flush and then fitted the awning brackets. I had to buy some t-bolts from the roof rack shop to attach the awning to the channel in the roof rack.

Cheers,
      James
      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• MyExceed
        • May 2014
        • Hobart, Tas

I fit my cross bars first and then bolt the awning brackets down to the cross bars....
        Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• BeeGee
          • Aug 2011
          • Perth

Thanks guys.

I rang Rola and I can source replacement keys from Supercheap using the barrel number and the code that Rola gave me over the phone. I will also grab some suitable T-bolts from Supercheap.

I will take your tip with simply grinding down the end caps and all should be sweet.

thanks.
          Gunmetal 2007 Pajero GLX DiD Auto, 50mm raised Lovell HD's, Bilsteins, Rear diff lock, long range tank (60L), bull bar, spotties, roof racks, dual batteries, rear wiring for fridge, BFG AT's, Bushskinz underbody protection. 2014 Jayco Swan Outback camper trailer.

Comment

• Kirkster72
            • Sep 2013
            • Sydney

this is my setup
            Attached Files
            2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• BeeGee
              • Aug 2011
              • Perth

all fitted now, thanks

Hi guys,
              thought I would update to say that I fitted the Ironman awning last night. It's the shorter 2m along the car but 2.5m out. Simple fitting once I received the replacement keys and some t-bolts from Rola roof racks.
              A few photos.
              cheers,
              Bryan
              Attached Files

Comment

• BorgPS17
                • Mar 2017
                • melbourne

Found this....

Pajero Sport QE 20016
                Smart Bar
                Boos Bash Plates
                7 inch LED Driving Lights
                Domin8R X 12,000 Winch with Rope

Comment

• m1s3ry
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Kalorama, VIC.

Originally posted by BorgPS17 View Post
                  They would have to vibrate something shocking.
                  Steele Perkins (#1263)
                  NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2014
                    • Wellington,New Zealand

iwhen i reverse my brackets i am simply going to take the end caps off and the L brackets themselves will block access.If you say thats risky llets be real those plastic end caps wont stop anyone getting to the bolts
                    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• BorgPS17
                      • Mar 2017
                      • melbourne

4WD supercentre awning comes with L brackets, which work well with rola cross bars
                      all i did was put a couple of spring washers underneath and the bracket cleared the end cap.

which means i can go into undercover car parks without a problem.?
                      Pajero Sport QE 20016
                      Smart Bar
                      Boos Bash Plates
                      7 inch LED Driving Lights
                      Domin8R X 12,000 Winch with Rope

Comment

• Paj11
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Sydney

I have the Rhino Vortex bars, So that I could clear the top of the cap I sat 2 washers below the bracket so that it clears the top of the cap and I cut the rubber strips and placed them between the bolts so there was no gap under the bracket which would cause wind noise. Then to have access to removing the cap I slid the bracket out about 50mm from the end of the bar and I used about 5 washers on the head side of the bolt where the awning attaches to the bracket between the bracket and the awning so that it pushes the bolt end further away from the cap, that way it can be removed, then so that can get the key in an out to lock the cap I grinded the end of the key down. It's a matter of millimetres but everything looks tidy and I can get the caps in and out, get access to the tightening hex bolt and lock the cap again.
                        2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X