• Show
Clear All
  • photonzu
    • Mar 2013
    • Shellharbour NSW

Compatible maps for my Nakamichi na2650

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out.
    I have a Nakamichi na2650 HU and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to which maps would be compatible. I have been searching the internet for some time but have not had any luck.

Thanks in advance.

Ben.
    Attached Files
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

Not even the people that built it have proper specs on their website, so I assume two things:
    a) You not only got the radio but also the GPS antenna - which is usually not included, without it there is no use trying to put GPS software on it
    b) The device uses Win CE

That would mean any software for CE should work, you will have to look at certain forums for suitable software, maps and installation instructions as I doubt you will find a legal source of buying CE GPS software and maps.
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• lizard
      • Mar 2010

I think the GPS is a totally different unit that plugs into the head unit and its $$$$$$$$$$+

As far as Nakamichi Co goes didn't they pull out of Australia many years ago ?

Comment

• photonzu
        • Mar 2013
        • Shellharbour NSW

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
        Not even the people that built it have proper specs on their website, so I assume two things:
        a) You not only got the radio but also the GPS antenna - which is usually not included, without it there is no use trying to put GPS software on it
        b) The device uses Win CE

That would mean any software for CE should work, you will have to look at certain forums for suitable software, maps and installation instructions as I doubt you will find a legal source of buying CE GPS software and maps.
        Thanks for the reply Downunder35m, i only have the head unit at this stage but there are some antenna on fleabay that would be compatible. I was wondering how you came to the conclusion that it was CE based software?

Comment

• photonzu
          • Mar 2013
          • Shellharbour NSW

Originally posted by lizard View Post
          I think the GPS is a totally different unit that plugs into the head unit and its $$$$$$$$$$+

As far as Nakamichi Co goes didn't they pull out of Australia many years ago ?
          Thanks for the reply Lizard. The GPS on this unit is inbuilt except for the need to plug in an external antenna via a mini usb socket on the back. As for Nakamichi, your probably right about them pulling out of Australia. I am not even sure if they are manufacturing anywhere anymore.

Lucky for me i didnt buy the unit for its gps capabilities. I only really needed it for the reverse cam and bt features. If i get the mapping up and running it will be a bonus.

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

You could simply provide the needed info to confirm or deny it uses CE
            Not my fault the manufactorer is too lame to provide this info on their website.
            I simply doubt it uses Androi as there are only a few out there that do and usually the have quite good (and complete) hardware specs.

I personally would not even consider buying a device if can't see the full specifications to check them.
            Or would you buy a car just because the picture looks good only to find out someone put a lawnmover engine instead of a V6 it?
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
            Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• photonzu
              • Mar 2013
              • Shellharbour NSW

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
              You could simply provide the needed info to confirm or deny it uses CE
              Not my fault the manufactorer is too lame to provide this info on their website.
              I simply doubt it uses Androi as there are only a few out there that do and usually the have quite good (and complete) hardware specs.

I personally would not even consider buying a device if can't see the full specifications to check them.
              Or would you buy a car just because the picture looks good only to find out someone put a lawnmover engine instead of a V6 it?
              Hi downubder35m

Not sure if i am reading your post correctly - are you saying that there is info i can provide to determine which os it uses?

The device is GPS 'ready' only requiring maps and antenna. Just cant seem to figure out which maps are needed.

Luckily for me i only purchased the unit for its reverse cam and bluetooth capabilities. The sound quality and tuning option are also amazing. Like i said before, if i get the mapping up and running it will be a bonus

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

They seem to have gone to great lengths to hide the underlying operating system.

A number of pages link the product closely with "mirror phone", available from Google Play, and compatible with a large range of Android phones. It is also compatible with iPhone, but with lesser functionality.

My guess would be Android based, but they've gone to great lengths to protect the OS.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• photonzu
                  • Mar 2013
                  • Shellharbour NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  They seem to have gone to great lengths to hide the underlying operating system.

A number of pages link the product closely with "mirror phone", available from Google Play, and compatible with a large range of Android phones. It is also compatible with iPhone, but with lesser functionality.

My guess would be Android based, but they've gone to great lengths to protect the OS.
                  I agree, there seems to be some compatibility with android but with absolutely no mention anywhere of the OS. They provide more info about the mirror phone feature than anything else.

I have emailed a few different suppliers and am waiting to hear back. I am afraid this may remain a mystery. Lucky all the other features work well.

Comment

• grhyso
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Perth

alpine, jvc, kenwood all use mirror as well. I don't think it's android.

Nakamichi are very well respected in the car audio industry for their sound quality so I'd bet it's no slouch of a unit. How much did it cost might I ask?
                    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• photonzu
                      • Mar 2013
                      • Shellharbour NSW

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                      alpine, jvc, kenwood all use mirror as well. I don't think it's android.

Nakamichi are very well respected in the car audio industry for their sound quality so I'd bet it's no slouch of a unit. How much did it cost might I ask?
                      Ok, i didnt realise they all used a similar feature. I might have to purchase a cheap sd card with maps and test it out.

Your right about the sound quality, absolutely amazing. I picked it up for under $300. A good friend of mine had purchased it some time ago and never installed it. Box was still sealed.

Comment

• grhyso
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Perth

Mirror isn't an operating system its just an application to allow android phone integration. This one looks vetter than some others but it basically allows you to mirror the phone screen and run apps. This means you could use navigation from your phone on the stereo, uses the gps and maps of your phone but on the big screen. For onroad there's a few options such as tom tom or navigon etc etc that'll cost you less than $50 all up.
                        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Nobody said Mirror was an operating system.

For years, these type of devices were based on Windows CE. More recently, some manufacturers have started using Android. I'm not aware of anybody using iOS for a device such as this, much less any of the other minor OS options like Palm, Symbian, Blackberry etc.

If it's based on one of the current big three, which is it most likely to be?

Using the Mirror app as a clue, it provides full functionality with Android phones, limited functionality with iOS / Blackberry. The Mirror app is only advertised as being available from Google Play, not from Apple's Store.

If this device was Windows based, you would expect full functionality with Windows 8 phones. I don't know all of the phones listed, and haven't checked - are any of them Windows phones?

If it was iOS based, you would expect full functionality with iOS devices. It doesn't have that.

If it's Android based, you would expect full functionality with Android devices - which it seems to have.

I severely doubt that any of these mobile sound companies have developed their own proprietary touchscreen operating system - that would cost millions, and they would never recover their investment. Therefore, my best guess is that it's based on Android, but Nakamichi are very reluctant to admit it.

Does this really help the OP in any way? Probably not.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• photonzu
                            • Mar 2013
                            • Shellharbour NSW

It seems that i may have an answer to my original question. I received an email back from a supplier in Melbourne and they have told me that they supply this particular unit with iGo premium maps.
                            Hopefully i can source some maps and the antenna and get it going.

Thanks for all the input

Comment

• wrexy
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Bakers Hill, WA

So, Hema uses igo maps so I guess tyhat means windows CE.
                              MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
                              Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
                              http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X