Below Nav Bar

Collapse

TJM Torq winch 9500lb synthetic rope - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

TJM Torq winch 9500lb synthetic rope - any good?

Looking at a TJM bar with winch. Reading suggests that the TJM winches fit in well while other winches can have things protruding. Anyway tempted by a TJM Torq winch, the shop recommends the 9500lb version. Fitted cost $1400 for the winch alone. The vehicle is a PC Challenger.

Basically, for the price are they good, bad or ugly. Ie, better get another brand for reliability or cost.

Usual hassles is TJM will not reply to questions on the bar and winch weight. If the 12500lb is not that much heavier might go that way. Also, planning to use starter battery as spare space in the engine bay is taken so efficiency important.

So your thoughts/experience please on the winch.

Cheers
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

This makes interesting reading;
    Warn Industries Inc,Ateco Equipment,Smittybilt,TJM,Kingone,Ironman,Terrain Tamer, Mean Mother,T-Max, Aldi, Road Runner,Carbon etc " Lowmounts Only: Investigating the Get It Wet and the Warranty Is Void fine print covered by 90% of winch manufacturers,There is hope with 6 Companies below in...

I would go for a winch that was lightweight, low amp draw, 200:1 ratio as a minimum gear reduction. 9,500lb is plenty for a fully loaded Challenger.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2014
      • Tasmania

Yes found that thread on that forum and makes interesting reading. In Tassie you simply expect a winch to go underwater so excluding warranty for water ingress means say a Warn winch is not fit for purpose. The TJM is IP67 rated on waterproofness so if that is endangered of being exceeded me thinks you would be having bigger issues

Finding specifications on mainstream products is a nightmare. I agree more than happy to trade to lower amps for slower speed as not in a competition. But where to find that detail?

To me a winch is one item when you need it, then it can not fail. I have a genuine Tirfor 1.6/3.2 tonne winch, and no doubt trusted to work just about whatever, but it is not a thing of beauty to use. In a steep sided bog hole four Maxitrax and twin diff locks were needed to give the extra grunt to recover the vehicle using the Tirfor. After that winch block and synthetic rope were purchased as one person simply can not get the maximum pull. Only reason I was thinking of heavier 12,000lb rating, but if too heavy, or expensive, agree a 9500lb should be fine, providing it is that rating not some pie in the shy number.
      2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Ok, found Sherpa winch that gives gearing at 205:1 for 12,500lb with 45 metres of rope. It's smaller brother, 9500lb is 249:1 with 28 metres of rope. With the same 28 metres the 12,500 is only 4 kg heavier. The 45 metre option is only available on the 12,500lb winch and weighs extra 2 kilograms.

Not sure how many metres must remain on the winch but 45 metres would be handy and comes at a 6 kg weight penalty over the 9,500lb option, but likely higher amp draw as higher gearing.

Anyone, experienced with the Sherpa winch as they make a point on water resistance?

Ps, at least a website that clearly states specifications, please note TJM!

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

I got a 17K Sherpa. Got it because it was the same price as the 12K. Just checked the website and this is still the case, $999 but I did need to mention it to the sales guy when I ordered direct with Sherpa. Probably overkill but the 17 from the spec sheets has a faster line pull and lower current draw for the same load.

Be aware that the physical size of the winch body is larger for the 45m option. The drum is the same size though IIRC. Not a particularly important statement but I think I overlooked the fact that the body is bigger with 45m rope because I saw the same drum dimensions. So check that your bull bar can fit it. You'll also need an offset hawse if you have an ARB bar.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• BrisVegas
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2009
            • Townsville, QLD

I've got the TJM 9500lb synthetic rope winch on my MU-X. Haven't had to use it in anger as yet. I give it a run every couple of months to make sure it doesn't seize up etc. The winch has been underwater a few times, including lots of muddy water either side of mt Dare last year. I got water in through my rear diff breather on that trip, but the winch is still working.
            'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• Ent
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2014
              • Tasmania

Hi BrisVegas

Thanks for that feedback. Looks like I will be ordering a TJM 9500lb winch.

Comment

• amec
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Wamberal

I have the TJM 9500 on my PC, it has been used for removing stumps in the garden, pulling dead trees in the forest whilst camping, recovering a Mazda 6 from a ditch where it pulled the Mazda sideways with all 4 wheels locked. Been underwater crossing the Turon.

I'm happy with it.
                PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X