• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joffa
    • Jun 2012
    • Far Nth Qld

Under body protection plates

I'm wanting to fit underbody protection plates and wondering if others have done this, & what brand etc. Was told that if i did' the motor might overheat,as they cut down on air flow.
    2010 NT Platinum DiD. Pearl white, ARB matching colour deluxe bar,Steinbauer, 2.75 BD exhaust, dual batteries, Redarc elec brake controller, Cooper AT3, McHitch auto coupler & WDH, OME suspension lift & air bags with sleeves, Uniden radio, Bushskinz bash plates,
    Scanguage II. PWR trans cooler, Alpine INE-W9970 head unit. Clearview mirrors.

Towing Jayco Journey 17-55-9 OB.
  • Scouter1
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2013
    • Sydney NSW

I have been running a full set of Bushskinz http://bushskinz4x4.com.au/products/...0&sort=nameAsc on my NT for a couple of years. Bombproof, and haven't seen any increase in temperature including some slow running in very hot weather (45 deg C). Only down side is the weight, but they are super strong and have saved my intercooler, sump, transmission & rear bumper on a number of occasions https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...3&postcount=70

Lots of interesting reading on this thread on the value of underbody protection https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=32882

Cheers,
    Stephen
    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Racer17
      • Apr 2015
      • Rockhampton

Group buy on now. Get in quick.
      I also have have a sump, int, trans, and transfer guard and soon to have rear bar.
      I like to think it's more streamlined on the highway to offset the weight. :P

Comment

• Cams
        • Sep 2010
        • Melbourne

Bushskinz are the thickest and offer the best protection, go with the group buy.
        2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
        Open Country AT2's
        Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• dabela1972
          • May 2009
          • Taylors Hill Victoria

Simply the best and cheap
          Factory:
          Rear Diff Lock / Tow Bar

After Market:
          ARB Deluxe Bull Bar / Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks / ARB Fridge Freezer / ARB Portable Compressor / ARB Dual Battery Sytem / BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A 275/65/17 Warn Winch 9000lbs / UHF CB / Clarion HD TV, DVD, Reversing Camera, Bluetooth, Sat Nav with Rear Screens / Kingd Awning / Kings Tradies Rack / Kings Led Light Bar

DIY Camper Trailer

Comment

• Axis
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Highett Vic

I think it depends on the driving you want to do. I opted for Boos bash plates as they were a great price for intercooler, sump and trans - these are 3mm so not as strong as others that are 4mm. After 2+ years I have replaced the intercooler guard with a bushskinz (4mm) one as I had some hits so hard I pushed the Boos one up into the intercooler. I also believe the gradient of the BS I/C guard is better.

So currently I am running Bushskinz Intercooler guard (4mm) and Boos 3mm Sump and Transmission guard. For me the Intercooler takes the biggest hits.

Any aftermarket protection is better than factory.
            07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Vicbitter
              • May 2016
              • Melbourne

Wow, didn't realise the massive price differences between boos and bushskinz

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
                Wow, didn't realise the massive price differences between boos and bushskinz

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep you pay for quality.

I have the complete underside package , including rear bumper protector which is fantastic for mounting trailer plug, reverse light and air valves, as well as protecting the weak rear bumper. Waiting for side steps to be made and posted.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• David Anderson
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Albury

I'll put my hand (wing?) up as a goose that removed one of my two front Bushskin plates to change oil and din't put it back on and then suffered some expensive repairs to the front diff while off-road.
                  Stupid.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Bushskinz both in design and after sales service.
                  09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

So you have a good choice of manufacturers...whatever your budget can afford...Boos, Bushskinz, ARD, OL, Iron Man...

Here is a good reason why you buy bash plates...if you do some decent off road driving.

Short story long.

I was beach driving about 8 months ago on a isolated beach in Cape Arnhem NT.. travelling along the beach at low tide...40 to 60kph..nice momentum.

A decent piece of driftwood log, that had been duly buried by the sand, (I did not see it) was just touched by the inside of the drivers front tyre on its end...which flicked up the body of the driftwood log under the vehicle and smashed into my under body bash plates.
                    I'm talking mm's the other way and I would have missed it completely!!!
                    Driftwood logs can be bloody tuff and not all of them are baby bum smooth...the one I hit, was 20cm thick and it made one hell of a noise.
                    This being the case I stopped and checked underneath for damage, so did the convoy, who some had heard and seen the the log hit the underside.
                    Why I had hit this log, and why the two vehicles travelling in front did not, is one of the great mysteries off roading you will come across.
                    The log did not break, but had a few deep coughes...slices taken off it from hitting the bash plate..I check the bash plates and underneath...all good.

I hate to think of what would have happened if I did not have that under body protection...$$$$$$

Comment

• dabela1972
                      • May 2009
                      • Taylors Hill Victoria

I can't comment on the difference but I have Boo's and I have put a few mates onto him and had no complaints.

He'll fit them for free aswell
                      Factory:
                      Rear Diff Lock / Tow Bar

After Market:
                      ARB Deluxe Bull Bar / Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks / ARB Fridge Freezer / ARB Portable Compressor / ARB Dual Battery Sytem / BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A 275/65/17 Warn Winch 9000lbs / UHF CB / Clarion HD TV, DVD, Reversing Camera, Bluetooth, Sat Nav with Rear Screens / Kingd Awning / Kings Tradies Rack / Kings Led Light Bar

DIY Camper Trailer

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Chris.
                        How much better are the Boos than the OEM plates?
                        Like trying to eat off a soggy paper plate compared to good china dinner plate...no comparison!!
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

I have a Bushskinz intercooler/engine bashplate fitted to my NW. I think it does affect the airflow to the intercooler. I am considering modifying it to allow more air to get through, or alternatively fitting a fan between the bashpale and the intercooler. Will advise when/if it ever gets done.

Comment

• dabela1972
                            • May 2009
                            • Taylors Hill Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            Like trying to eat off a soggy paper plate compared to good china dinner plate...no comparison!!
                            Bit Harsh!
                            Factory:
                            Rear Diff Lock / Tow Bar

After Market:

DIY Camper Trailer

Comment

• Pwoffey
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by dabela1972 View Post
                              Bit Harsh!
                              Given the terrain a 4WD is meant and expected to drive on, with respect to the OEM "protection" I was going to say Dicko was being a bit kind
                              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X