• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • christish
    • Jul 2014
    • Perth, WA

NW Paj Cutout in Rear Trim

Hi All,

Does anybody know how much room is behind this panel (PIC1) on the NW Exceed?

I was thinking of installing the Baintech BTCP004 Panel for my AUX Batt and accessories but it indicates that it needs 80mm behind it, I cant tell if there's space behind that panel to mount it.

Alternatively it could go next to the original Cig socket, as per picture 2. Again I dont know how much room is behind there.

Has anyone else done a similar thing or have any suggestions??

I want a nice neat finish, preferably with a flush mount voltmeter and at least one cig socket.
    Attached Files
    2014 NW Exceed DiD | Oricom UHF | Whispbar Roof Rails | Bluetooth OBD2 Scantool and Torque App | Thumper Air Compressor | TJM Airtec Snorkel | TJM T13 Bullbar | Led Bar | Halogen Spotties | Yokohama Geolander ATS Tyres | DPCHIP | Taipan XP Exhaust | Redarc BCDC Charger 1215-LV, Baintech DC Panel
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

Rear air con takes up a lot of the space behind the drivers side rear trim. Dunno how big the baintech is but in my GLS there is not much space on that side at all. Pull the door seal back and pry the trim panel out a little. You should be able to see enough with a torch in the lower section behind pic 1
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• christish
      • Jul 2014
      • Perth, WA

Thanks Hatto,

I have asked Mitsi as well, they sent me the exploded parts diagram but it doesn't show it either. They believe it may be for some overseas accessories.

Mitsi were trying to confirm with one of the technical guys for me.

On another note I noticed you are using the SBI Battery Isolator. I was told this would not work on the Paj due to the alternator switching to low voltage mode. I was told I would need to use a BCDC charger.

Have you had any trouble with yours?, does it charge the Auxillary properly?

Cheers
      Chris
      2014 NW Exceed DiD | Oricom UHF | Whispbar Roof Rails | Bluetooth OBD2 Scantool and Torque App | Thumper Air Compressor | TJM Airtec Snorkel | TJM T13 Bullbar | Led Bar | Halogen Spotties | Yokohama Geolander ATS Tyres | DPCHIP | Taipan XP Exhaust | Redarc BCDC Charger 1215-LV, Baintech DC Panel

Comment

• tangles4745
        • Aug 2012
        • Brisbane

Baintech

Originally posted by christish View Post
        Hi All,

Does anybody know how much room is behind this panel (PIC1) on the NW Exceed?

I was thinking of installing the Baintech BTCP004 Panel for my AUX Batt and accessories but it indicates that it needs 80mm behind it, I cant tell if there's space behind that panel to mount it.

Alternatively it could go next to the original Cig socket, as per picture 2. Again I dont know how much room is behind there.

Has anyone else done a similar thing or have any suggestions??

I want a nice neat finish, preferably with a flush mount voltmeter and at least one cig socket.
        Hello,
        This is what I did in the rear of my car ..

Hope it helps
        Tangles

Comment

• cookie
          • Feb 2008
          • Perth

On another note I noticed you are using the SBI Battery Isolator. I was told this would not work on the Paj due to the alternator switching to low voltage mode. I was told I would need to use a BCDC charger.

Cheers
          Chris
          I just installed a redarc sbi12 in my NW and so far it seems to be charging the auxiliary no problems. Personally I think the sbi12 will be fine for a wet cell aux batt under the bonnet. If you use an AGM aux batt or mount it in the rear I would go for a BCDC.

2014 NW GLX
          ----------------------------------------------
          Previously: 98 Challenger, 2 inch lift, koni shocks, ARB bullbar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, redarc dual battery sys, UHF, bushman fridge, Wrangler ATR's

Comment

• christish
            • Jul 2014
            • Perth, WA

Tangles -

That is exactly what I need to do! - perfect thanks mate!!!

Comment

• Troy711
              Valued Member
              • May 2013
              • Canberra

Is that the passenger side? If so there was enough room there for me to mount my compressor there.

Comment

• tangles4745
                • Aug 2012
                • Brisbane

Hi Troy711

Is it is mate .. I have seen someone on here that has done it .. You might have to search for it but ...
                Tangles

Comment

• artuo
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Central Coast NSW

if you want to put it on the passenger side there are two areas which have space behind up a bit higher, i have marked them below. Ive just finished putting my power panel in. I dont have a picture of the finished install but can take a pic tonight if you want.

MY14 NW VRX Graphite DiD, ARB Deluxe CC'd Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, DIY rear shelf, Autosafe half cargo barrier, GME TX3540S radio, Rhino Pioneer plaform with bits, Foxwing awning, Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates, Dual Battery with Redarc BCDC1225LV, Bilstein/Lovells HD suspension, LRA Aux Tank

In Tow; Explorer Lawson camper trailer

Comment

• artuo
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Central Coast NSW

sorry, just notice you have the Exceed, so with a sub, mine doesnt have the sub.
                    MY14 NW VRX Graphite DiD, ARB Deluxe CC'd Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, DIY rear shelf, Autosafe half cargo barrier, GME TX3540S radio, Rhino Pioneer plaform with bits, Foxwing awning, Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates, Dual Battery with Redarc BCDC1225LV, Bilstein/Lovells HD suspension, LRA Aux Tank

In Tow; Explorer Lawson camper trailer

Comment

• christish
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Perth, WA

No worries thanks for the suggestion, hopefully get the 2nd battery holder in this weekend with batt and then next weekend tackle the cargo area

Comment

• Hatto
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Mandurah WA

Thanks Hatto,

I have asked Mitsi as well, they sent me the exploded parts diagram but it doesn't show it either. They believe it may be for some overseas accessories.

Mitsi were trying to confirm with one of the technical guys for me.

Cheers
                        Chris
                        Gday mate. I've had the sbi 12 in for nearly 2 years charging an Amaron green dual purpose aux battery. Many will argue that the battery will not get a "full" charge but I have had no problems at all in 2 years. Nil. Zero. It works just as it did in my old disco 2! And that is that it keeps the beer cold every time we go away. I've seen no reason whatsoever to go to a BCDC charger. The volt meter reads roughly 14v when charging and about 12.7v when not being charged (engine off). Hope this helps.
                        Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                        ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• christish
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Perth, WA

Soo....

I got the Baintech installed on the weekend - being the Exceed it was a bit difficult to find some space but finally ended up with a good solution.

I ran 6G wire from the Aux battery straight down the passenger side to the rear cargo area, easy because Mitsi have left a channel under all the trim for exactly this purpose.

From there cable cuts across the rear cargo area just behind the tub for the Third Row.

I was able to mount up the distribution blocks and also a relay to go to an anderson plug on the towbar behind the lower panel on the driver side. There's room just above the blower.

The distribution blocks are there to go from 6G feed wire, to smaller 8G wire. 8G still handles around 50Amps, it's also easier to get crimps etc for 8G wire.

Ended up mounting the panel lengthways or portrait type orientation. The switch block is at the top and I cut out hole starting from the existing cigarette lighter socket.

You can just squeeze the panel in between the A/C Ducting and Blower. It's the length of the Lighter sockets that are the problem. We did bend some of the lugs over on the back of the lighter socket which saves about 10mm.

All in all it fits well and everything is working. I will try and upload some pics of the finished product and the wiring diagram I used. Was too busy during the install and forgot to take some then.

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X