• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

this thread has a link to the AFN version
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Bru9
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      I,m with Old Jack on this one. I decided against getting a winch on the Paj. Had em on every other 4wd I,ve owned but decided not to get one. Didn't want a second battery under the bonnet and at the end of the day a winch is not used often and mostly used to pull other people out of strife.
      Since I'm going to be modding, I think a winch should be done. But i can't see how you could fit two large batts under my petrol bonnet. If it's two small ones, i don't see the point. I think for just in case moments, just use a single large batt & keep engine running.
      2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
        Since I'm going to be modding, I think a winch should be done. But i can't see how you could fit two large batts under my petrol bonnet. If it's two small ones, i don't see the point. I think for just in case moments, just use a single large batt & keep engine running.

Being bogged is a pain in the butt. Having a flat battery and being bogged is just embarrassing. I would not contemplate a winch without a second battery. Many a time I have been bogged and had to use a pulley. Twice as slow and twice as much drain on your battery. You could be pulling 400-600 amps. Forget the alternator, it wont keep up..Just one reason why I didn't go for a winch this time. The reason I had winches was because I lived in remote areas on NT for 3 decades. 95% of people would live in suburbia and get out in the bush on weekends. Along with heaps of other weekenders. Most survive without a winch. Cost is high as well...BULLBAR $1800, WINCH $800-$2000, 2ND BATTERY SET UP CORRECTLY ..$500-$800.

Your money mate but if you are going down the path..do it properly or save the dollars.

cheers
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• GOSSAMER
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • doncaster east vic

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
          My petrol NS had a second battery in the same spot as the Diesel
          Back from the Dark side
          NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Fritterbug
            Valued Member
            • May 2013
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            Being bogged is a pain in the butt. Having a flat battery and being bogged is just embarrassing. I would not contemplate a winch without a second battery. Many a time I have been bogged and had to use a pulley. Twice as slow and twice as much drain on your battery. You could be pulling 400-600 amps. Forget the alternator, it wont keep up..Just one reason why I didn't go for a winch this time. The reason I had winches was because I lived in remote areas on NT for 3 decades. 95% of people would live in suburbia and get out in the bush on weekends. Along with heaps of other weekenders. Most survive without a winch. Cost is high as well...BULLBAR $1800, WINCH $800-$2000, 2ND BATTERY SET UP CORRECTLY ..$500-$800.

Your money mate but if you are going down the path..do it properly or save the dollars.

cheers
            I agree running an electric winch without the engine running is for emergencies only.

However using a pulley won't double the amps directly. It will do it indirectly as you will theoretically need to run the winch twice as long. So double amps over double time. Not double amps over the same time. That wouldn't be the case exactly in practice though due to a single line pull under the same conditions would be working harder and possibly wouldn't even do the job.

Best way is to run the engine on high idle and don't try to winch the full recovery in one go. Do it in bursts allowing batteries to keep up and the winch to cool down.

Also keep in mind what batteries you choose. If talking standard lead acid batteries you might choose a deep cycle for your second battery to run the fridge. If so winching from it will kill it. Might need to look at AGMs or something else.
            MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• Bru9
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              mounted winches are a fair investment, bar+winch+2nd battery+front spring and shocker upgrade!
              In regards to front spring & shocker upgrade.

Is a 2" suspension lift all that's needed?

thanks
              2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• rthy
                • Mar 2015
                • Tullamarine

the "suspension lift" isn't really required, the springs and shocker upgrade relates to a "heavy duty" item to support the extra weight of the bulbar, winch, etc...

you will find that lift kits generally come in a few weight rating.
                The lift is additional bonus if you want flex/clearance etc..

Also have used a winch cradle from tigerz11, needed some modification to fit the 80 series rail otherwise didn't have problems and the thick steel didn't flex under load of a fat ass 4.5lt wagon
                Mitsubishi Pajero NP Exceed V78W (Daily)
                Mitsubishi Pajero NG TURBOWAGON L149G (Sold)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X