• Show
Clear All
  • pajeromack
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • NSW

Help Spare wheel winder chain came off!

Hey guys.

Mitsubishi roadside assistance changed my tyre (wheel nut stuck tight).
    Unfortunately they wound the tyre down with a rattle gun and went too far and the chain came out.

They told me a tyre place could wind it back up but looking at the slot I'm not sure how to feed it into the winder?

How does it go back up? Is it broke?

Cheers
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

This post of OJ's contains some pictures that may be of some use to you.

2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• 02-SR5
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2010
      • Toowoomba

Why the fk did you let them wind it down with a rattle gun?

I'd be ringing roadside service and ask them to repair it for you.

Only a fk wit would use a rattle gun.
      MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

Agree with O2, they should be fixing it, no charge.
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

It is a fiddly job to do!
          The winder needs to be removed from the upper frame, requires patience and dexterity to undo the bolts holding it in place. Car ramps or a hoist make it easier.
          Once winder is removed then cover must come off so chain can be wound back on.
          Caution it can can on both ways but only one way is correct , do it wrong and the chain slips on the pulley under load and you have to remove it again.
          End of chain attaches to hook so once end of chain is attached then bend it over. I also put an M6x30 bolt and nut through a chainlink near the hook to prevented the chain from being wound off as the hook retention is weak.
          Whist it is apart it is worthwhile doing some shimming and lubrication as per my mod post, if you are mechanically handy, as this improves the operation of the winder.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MiteeWidge
            • Mar 2014
            • Townsville

Spare wheel winch

Hi Pajeromack,
            Had the car in at local tyre dealer for wheel rotation. Usually a 15 minute job, however , after a hour and half I had a sinking feeling that bad news was on the way. Manger comes out and says they can't wind the wheel back up and could I return tomorrow so they could check it out. Upshot was some how they had managed to snap the winch shaft !!!. Spoke to the mechanic who reckoned it snapped while winding it down Didn't bother arguing the point other than to state it worked fine last time I lowered it to check the spare's pressure. I suspect they may have over tightened it winding the spare back up. $290.00 dollars for a replacement , for which they fronted for , and a apparently a bugger of a job to replace.
            2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

I'm wondering how strong is the pin that secures the actuating shaft to the worm gear ?
              Could this be the 'fuse' that protects the whole mechanism from over-tightening ?

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                I'm wondering how strong is the pin that secures the actuating shaft to the worm gear ?
                Could this be the 'fuse' that protects the whole mechanism from over-tightening ?
                The pin is 5mm dia and solid steel so I would expect the casting on the worm drive could break before the pin shears. There is a spring on the end of the fitting that goes through the wheel rim, the compression of this spring is the first indication that you are nearing the full up position. Unfortunately with a power tool/rattle gun you have no feel so it is impossible to determine when there is resistance in either the up or down limits of the chain travel so there is a very real chance of damaging the winder using power tools. If the pin was to sheer then the wheel may drop under its own weight or be stuck in the up position. If stuck in the up position then it maybe very difficult /impossible to wind the spare tyre down. Access to the winder when the spare tyre is in the up position is impossible from underneath so cutting holes in the cargo floor maybe the only option.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

Good points OJ.
                  Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comment

• whereswes
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    It is a fiddly job to do!
                    The winder needs to be removed from the upper frame, requires patience and dexterity to undo the bolts holding it in place. Car ramps or a hoist make it easier.
                    Once winder is removed then cover must come off so chain can be wound back on.
                    Caution it can can on both ways but only one way is correct , do it wrong and the chain slips on the pulley under load and you have to remove it again.
                    End of chain attaches to hook so once end of chain is attached then bend it over. I also put an M6x30 bolt and nut through a chainlink near the hook to prevented the chain from being wound off as the hook retention is weak.
                    Whist it is apart it is worthwhile doing some shimming and lubrication as per my mod post, if you are mechanically handy, as this improves the operation of the winder.

OJ.
                    Great advice OJ. Not sure if it's possible but if anyone was contemplating a lift or larger tires, might be a good time to extend the chain whilst you got the winder removed. I have to block under the spare on one side as the chain runs out of travel.

Cheers
                    Wes
                    2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by whereswes View Post
                      Great advice OJ. Not sure if it's possible but if anyone was contemplating a lift or larger tires, might be a good time to extend the chain whilst you got the winder removed. I have to block under the spare on one side as the chain runs out of travel.

Cheers
                      Wes
                      The chain is too short when you have lifted suspension and/or over diameter tyres fitted. If you wanted to replace the chain it would need to be the same link pitch and diameter to suit the winch spool. Alternatively you could cut and weld in a 70mm ( max guesstimate) section of chain at the wheel rim end, even with an extended chain in some off road positions the chain would be still too short. Make sure the wheel rim is placed outside face up as the rim offset makes a difference to the length of the chain required.

OJ.

Comment

• pajeromack
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • NSW

Ok booked in with a dealer who are going to 'assess' it.

Not sure what 'assessment' is required... i've told them everything they need to know. The chain is out!

The factory Dueller H/T's are crap btw. Second blowout I've had. Good wear rate though, done about 45k on them... probably have another 10-20k left.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
                          Ok booked in with a dealer who are going to 'assess' it.

Not sure what 'assessment' is required... i've told them everything they need to know. The chain is out!

The factory Dueller H/T's are crap btw. Second blowout I've had. Good wear rate though, done about 45k on them... probably have another 10-20k left.
                          And ??????

OJ.

Comment

• pajeromack
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • NSW

Just got assessed. Unrepairable. Needs the winder assembly replaced which is >$300 plus labour.
                            Dealer needs to send report to roadside assistance before they will pay for it.

Have to go back in at some point when its been approved and have it replaced... what a saga.

Will keep you updated.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
                              Just got assessed. Unrepairable. Needs the winder assembly replaced which is >$300 plus labour.
                              Dealer needs to send report to roadside assistance before they will pay for it.

Have to go back in at some point when its been approved and have it replaced... what a saga.

Will keep you updated.
                              Not repairable? Or they do not want to try and repair it!
                              If you where in Adelaide I would have a look at it for you.

Problem caused by someone else and now you are being stuffed around to get it fixed, that is unfair.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X