• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • red paj
    • May 2017
    • Merimbula

Epic Simpson Desert Recovery. Part 2

Thanks for all your feedback on my 2009 NT that died in the Simpson. I have been a bit slack in answering you all but the car has actually only made it back as far as Melbourne so far, so I am no wiser what actually went wrong at this stage. I am a "Premium" NRMA member so they are paying to truck the Pajero from Alice Springs to my Mitsubishi dealer in Bega. But since she is a 'deaden' it is a lot harder to truck thru all the connections than a car that can be driven.

My name is actually Dave and I am a 65yo retired farmer, so I do know a bit about engines. The driver of the tow vehicle was my 18yo son Jasper in his 2000 NL Pajero petrol with 260,000ks. I was ment to be the one going along to pick up the pieces! My wife and 9yo daughter were our passengers.

When the car first died without any warning, it was hard to crank and I thought we had battery problems. We restarted it about six times with jumper leads but it took a while to realize the engine was close to seizing and we had BIG problems.

And I guess that brings us to the other half of the story. We were carrying just enough fuel to comfortably get us to Jervios Station where we knew we could buy more. BUT, Jasper was petrol, I was diesel........... We did not have enough petrol to tow the 400k to Jervois.

SO. Probably enough petrol for the poor old NL to MAYBE tow the 260k and hundreds of sand dunes back to Birdsville, where there was no way they could repair or replace an engine. OR, 400k up the hell of the Hay River with not enough juice, then another 360k on formed roads to a Mitsubishi Dealer in Alice Springs. We decided Alice was the better option.

We used the satellite phone to ring Peter of Desert Recovery at the Roadhouse in Birdsville. In his 20 years at Birdsville he had never done a recovery that far out on the Hay River. Still he agreed to come out in his specially equipped V8 Toyata and to bring 100l of petrol. He arrived about lunch time the next day. He assessed my Pajero and agreed the engine had had it. Even with his powerful Toyota with big sand tyres to tow with back to Birdsville, he agreed us towing it to Alice was still the best option.

I won't say what Peter charged us, but can confirm desert recovers are EXTREMELY expensive. Where Peter did 'save our bacon' thou was that he disconnected both front and back drive shafts. Apparently autos don't like being towed. I did not know this. When we finally got home, the workshop foreman at Mitsubishi in Bega confirmed that if we had towed the 760k with the drive shafts connected, we would have almost certainly stuffed the gearbox! Something to remember guys.

Onslow- No engine mods. Car is 100% stock except for ARB dif locks, bullbar & winch and duel battery.
    Littleriver- All oil changes done as per the book, or say within 500k max of the book. In fact the next service was due at 90,000k. So since we were planning a 8,500k total trip I got this service done just BEFORE we left. She never made the 90,000............
    Traketor- Blocked oil galleries. Extremely unlikely when every service done on time.
    JoshF- Why not flatbed from Batton Hill? Answer. Money.The Northern Territory Road Service (all states honour each other) only cover, I think, 30k from the depot then it is $4 to $10 a km. Batton Hill is about 400k from Alice. Batton Hill is a small Aboriginal community but the start of a more or less formed road and fairly straight. Hence the tow from Batton Hill to Alice was a 'piece of cake' compared to the Hay River.
    Peterng- No, the sump has never been taken off, unless it happened to be part of some scheduled service.
    Last edited by red paj; 16-06-17, 11:24 PM.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Club 4x4 insurance ? Have a good tow policy. .

What oil was used in servicing and brand of filters ..

Definitely want to know the reason of implosion. .
    2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• DaveH
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2010
      • sydney

out of interest did the Pajero come with a 10 year power train warrenty? If so will MMAL give you a new motor?
      2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• traktor
        • Oct 2013
        • sydney

Thanks Dave for your posts, it arms us with knowledge.

yes, I agree that with regular oil changes there is no reason for blocked oil galleries (unless I'm missing something)

it could be manufacturing defect then, but it did not reveal itself until you clocked about 80,000k. I guess the only way to find out is to open the engine guts and to inspect it.

In my limited experience I've never heard about anything like that happened to pajeros.
        NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• Allan2
          • May 2013
          • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Well done Jasper in his Pajero a long way to tow a vehicle in good conditions never alone in the Simpson area.
          On another note I am from Bega as well. Bega will always be home but that isn't where I am living at the moment.
          Watching this saga with interest as well.
          Good luck Dave.
          Regards Allan.
          2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
            • May 2017
            • Freo ish

How did you go? What was the story?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Originally posted by Rnn_onmt View Post
              How did you go? What was the story?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
              x2

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X