• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • razor
    • Nov 2014
    • Lewiston

Rear Diff lock

How does the rear diff lock work?
    My rear diff lock hasn't been actually locking up as it should since just after I got it. I was under the car and hit the switch to turn it on, the compressor starts up and just constantly runs.
    If I pinch the hose to imitate pressure in the compressor line it shuts off.
    If I pinch the breather hose and hold it for a few seconds then release I can hear air pressure being released.

I'm assuming something is leaking internally but figured I would ask before taking the diff out

Thanks, Grant
    Previously: 2002 NM Pajero 3.2 DiD.
    NS Pajero Manual with mods

Silver NT Platinum. Long ranger sub tank, Dobinsons IMS 2" lift, Custom lightweight storage system, dual battery system with DCS 75ah lithium and redarc bcdc1250, full bash plates, bullbar, winch

"If you cant beat them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Is it a factory diff lock?

If so you need to be in Neutral and in low gear before selecting it.

Edit: Might have misintepreted what you were asking, I'm unsure of the mechanics of it sorry.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• bhjm
      • Jan 2016
      • United Kingdom

Originally posted by craka View Post
      Is it a factory diff lock?

If so you need to be in Neutral and in low gear before selecting it.

Edit: Might have misintepreted what you were asking, I'm unsure of the mechanics of it sorry.
      adding: R-DL works in LLC AND HLC

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2000
        • Tasmania

there is a diaphram inside the diff, they do fail, it may be that. Unfortunately the diff will have to come out so the fault can be diagnosed.
        NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
        NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

I have a factory rear diff lock, but don't know the finer details of it. If there is an external hose ocnnecting the compressor to the diaphragm, surely it could be disconnected and a compressor or vacuum pump attached to see if the diaphragm has failed?

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2000
            • Tasmania

Originally posted by erad View Post
            I have a factory rear diff lock, but don't know the finer details of it. If there is an external hose ocnnecting the compressor to the diaphragm, surely it could be disconnected and a compressor or vacuum pump attached to see if the diaphragm has failed?
            from his post he has proved that the leak is from within the diff, from my recollection of the internals of the factory locker, the diaphram is the most likely culprit, however it also might be that the line has come off somewhere inside the diff as well, either way the diff has to come out, theres no other way to actually see whats wrong, let alone fix it. If he doesnt want to do that then he loses the use of the locker.

From memory too, Gen 2 diaphrams were no longer available as a spare part (weird) not sure about Gen 3/4 but one might have thought that it was the same part but who knows.
            NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
            NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• razor
              • Nov 2014
              • Lewiston

Yes it's the factory rear diff lock that's playing up
              Previously: 2002 NM Pajero 3.2 DiD.
              NS Pajero Manual with mods

Silver NT Platinum. Long ranger sub tank, Dobinsons IMS 2" lift, Custom lightweight storage system, dual battery system with DCS 75ah lithium and redarc bcdc1250, full bash plates, bullbar, winch

"If you cant beat them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X