• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
    i wouldnt have contemplated 10 psi,good to know .Dont do much sand here!
    Not often I'll run on 10 psi, due to the chance of rolling a bead off the rim. It's less of an issue with a heavy 10 ply rated LT tyre, but I'll only go that low to get over an obstacle like an extremely soft sandhill. I'll drop them to 8psi if I'm stuck, but only to get me out of a stuck situation.
    Plenty of beaches over here in WA where 12 psi is the norm and I'll run at that all day in summer. The tyres you are running play a large part in what pressures you need to drop down to. With my Micky T ATZ P3's, I'll go straight to 16psi in sand and drop down if necessary. My previous Maxxis Tyres didn't need to go so low, but with a stronger sidewall tyre, you generally need to let some more air out to increase the footprint of the tyre and achieve the best floatation. If running with extremely low pressures, you need to avoid sharp turns and keep the speed down.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• grhyso
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Perth

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
      i wouldnt have contemplated 10 psi,good to know .Dont do much sand here!
      Wilbinga is known for very soft sand at times, especially to the north end. I've been as low as 7psi on road tyres to get along the beach, as soon as I was safely off the beach I pumped them back up to 12-14psi to prevent rolling a tyre off the bead.
      2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Gus
        Administrator
        • Mar 2008
        • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        Down on the coast, a party of about 5 vehicles came past and shot up one of the adjacent dunes. One of the party got stuck part way up and caused chaos.....

The whole time witnessing this event, all I could do was think - what can I do to make my paj sound like this:

https://vimeo.com/169417527
        Great report. 👏

Looking at the video it looks like he's turned traction control off, Been reading up on the cruisers as mine arrives soon, a lot state to turn off on sand.. I'm pretty sure this is where they're doing it wrong, ( now please correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't had a vehicle with traction control before), in my opinion what they should be doing is turning the Stability control off leaving the traction control on to do exactly what it's meant to do swap power to the wheels with grip.

So all you guys with traction control am I right or wrong

Have to agree that sounds mint.. Will look at updating exhaust on mine but that's way down the list of mods..

Gus
        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Gus View Post
          Great report. ��

Looking at the video it looks like he's turned traction control off, Been reading up on the cruisers as mine arrives soon, a lot state to turn off on sand.. I'm pretty sure this is where they're doing it wrong, ( now please correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't had a vehicle with traction control before), in my opinion what they should be doing is turning the Stability control off leaving the traction control on to do exactly what it's meant to do swap power to the wheels with grip.

So all you guys with traction control am I right or wrong

Have to agree that sounds mint.. Will look at updating exhaust on mine but that's way down the list of mods..

Gus
          Yep, active stability control (ASC) is what compensates for the yaw effect (side to side movement) this will bog you down very quickly in sand by cutting power when you don't want it to, and should be turned off at the slightest sniff of a beach. ASC will also be turned off automatically in 4LLc. Traction Control is a different beast and I don't know of an easy way to turn it off in the Paj other than engaging the factory locker. I have modded mine to stay on with the diff lock engaged, best of both worlds I reckon. I can't see any advantage in turning off Traction Control. It's main aim is to distrbute drive to the wheel with the most load, exactly what you want when crossed up etc.

I'm not sure this guy has any form of traction control and appeared to have open diffs, being in high range wasn't helping the cause.
          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Gus
            Administrator
            • Mar 2008
            • Traralgon. Vic

Yes looking closely at the 1st pic it's a 100 series so probably LSD in rear which as you know are in the Toyota's So as you say open diff..

Thanks for confirming my thoughts though in regards to operation with Traction Control
            VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
            NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• shortSteve
              • Dec 2012
              • Perth

I try to get up there once a month, love spending the day on the beach and gives the kids a good chance to burn some energy and get some sun .
              Funny thing with tyre pressures, I always go straight to 15psi, and as others have said, straight to 10 at the slightest hint of wheels spinning/bogging down. Rarely have an issue, and if I have just back up over tracks for a few metres and go again.
              It amazes me people that refuse to go down past 18psi, I ran 6psi to go up callcup in summer one afternoon, others refused to go down past 12 thinking their tyres would magically eject themselves from the rims! It's driving too fast and turning or throwing the car around that separates beads, and even so, you always should carry a compressors anyways right?
              Nice pics too
              sS
              MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
              twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
              15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• Connormcintosh
                • Jun 2015
                • Gascoyne Junction

Crooza

Just realized the exact spot where the cruiser video is we had a crack at the weekend after. made it just to the crest before we started digging down. NEED FRONT LOCKERS!!!!

Not so bad up the north end. Would rather go to sandy cape or Ledge point for just another hour or so.
                Had; 2005 NP 3.8L auto with all the berries

Now 2010 Patrol Zd30 with even more berries

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

we were out there last weekend - had a ball hitting most of it in 2wd (got a noisy front CV and figured I would only give it more hurt if I could not do a dune in 2wd) - was fun giving all the patrols and cruiser's a hard time.
                  1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                  *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                  1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X