Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Can someone please help me interpret my fault codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kumpe
    • Dec 2015
    • Sweden

Can someone please help me interpret my fault codes?

I need some help... The check engine light has been on intermittently on my Pajero Sport -01 (auto) in the last couple of months. I had some problems with my ignition system so I thought it was because of that, but now that everything is fixed it still comes on! The car is running just fine...

So, I tried to check my fault codes by following instructions I found on the internet but they really make no sense to me.
    First I tried using a voltmeter as some instructions said, but could not get a reading.
    I then tried connecting the no.1 pin on the ODB connector to ground and turn on the ignition (as many guides stated should NOT work on my model/year), and voila! I got it to flash out the fault codes.... on the ABS light?!
    The codes as 22, 25 and 26. The CEL is on the whole time while the ABS light is flashing out the codes, and the N light on the gear indicator is flashing at a regular interval.
    In all the lists I found with engine fault codes for the petrol versions there isn't even a code 26?

Can someone please tell me what's going on here?
    Does the ABS light flashing mean that the fault codes are for the ABS system? If so, why is my CEL on, should the CEL be on if there is an ABS fault? Could the CEL be on without a engine fault code and the ABS codes are unrelated?
    I'm lost. Please help.
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

No idea if these relate to yours or not, but per this list for ABS codes I made a while back for the paj (http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=33491) it should be as follows:

22 - Front left wheel speed sensor (defective sensor)
    25 - Free wheel engage switch
    26 - Center differential lock detection switch

No idea why it'd be flashing your ABS and not your CEL when you've got a CEL though, that's weird. I'll see if I can find any paj sport specific codes to double check if they are different
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• TC.Barky
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2011
      • Melbourne

Thinking about it, if you are doing the test correctly, the CEL should either flash constantly (like your trans light is) or flash codes. It staying on firm means the process isn't working. Having a look through a montero sport manual now to see if I can find anything specific to yours
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• kumpe
        • Dec 2015
        • Sweden

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
        Thinking about it, if you are doing the test correctly, the CEL should either flash constantly (like your trans light is) or flash codes. It staying on firm means the process isn't working. Having a look through a montero sport manual now to see if I can find anything specific to yours
        Yeah, I thought so as well. All the instructions I have found says that a steady flash means no codes.
        I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

OK so yep as follows for ABS lamp however if you aren't having problems I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about them.

22 - Front left wheel speed sensor abnormal
          25 - 4WD position detection switch
          26 - Freewheel engage switch

I can't find any reference to codes in the MPI section other than the MUTT codes however in the general troubleshooting section it says you should be able to check MPI errors using that method (via the CEL light). I'll have another look in case I missed it.

EDIT: Found a list of codes but no mention in the section of how to read them.

11 - Oxy sensor system
          12 - Air flow sensor system
          13 - Intake air sensor system
          14 - TPS sensor system
          21 - Engine coolant temperature sensor system
          22 - Crank angle sensor system
          23 - Camshaft position sensor system
          24 - Vehicle speed sensor system
          25 - Barometric pressure sensor system
          41 - Injector system
          44 - Ignition coil and power transistor unit system (for No. 1 and 4 cyls)
          52 - Ignition coil and power transistor unit system (for No. 2 and 5 cyls)
          53 - Ignition coil and power transistor unit system (for No. 3 and 6 cyls
          54 - Immobilizer system

Section 00 just says to ground pin 1 and read the CEL for MPI faults so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. You had the ignition off when you ground the pin and then turned ingnition to on position? Definitely getting pin 1 not pin 16?

EDIT2: The list of codes above is from the MY99 and MY00 (not sure if relevant)
          Last edited by TC.Barky; 12-02-16, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• kumpe
            • Dec 2015
            • Sweden

I found the same codes as you, but now I think that it actually is the ABS fault codes I'm getting. Especially since there is no code 26 in any of the engine fault code lists I have found for petrol engines.
            And 22 is indicates a faulty CAS, and I've just replaced it and the codes were the same before that.

The question now is why the CEL turns on in the first place? And how could I find out why when I can't get the codes?

Comment

• kumpe
              • Dec 2015
              • Sweden

Ok, I have used all of my google-fu and read through all service manuals that I can find. I'm out of ideas.
              I'll take any hint why the CEL is behaving like it does. Any hint.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X