Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

The AC Compressor Clutch is powered through the AC Compressor Relay and the Condensor Fan is powered by the AC Condensor Fan Relay. So next thing is to check the input and output voltages of the relays.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks OJ,
Ill have a go at that. Not 100% at the moment so it might be a few days before I get to it.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Ive Checked the Relays

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
The AC Compressor Clutch is powered through the AC Compressor Relay and the Condensor Fan is powered by the AC Condensor Fan Relay. So next thing is to check the input and output voltages of the relays.

OJ.
I have checked the Condenser Fan Relays in the Engine Bay Fuse Box, and they are fine. By powering the dead side of the relay socket, the fans work fine. I also discovered there is supposed to be 2 horn relays, not 1, but thats not the issue.

Next I removed the lid of the little square relay box in the engine bay and tested the relay. By powering the coil, I could feel it pulling in and releasing when un-powered. I didnt have enough hands to check for continuity between the other tow terminals, but I di chek the voltage in the Relay Socket. The power to the coil is only about 6.5 volts with the air conditioner turned on. This is not enough to pull in the relay. I powered the pin in the socket that goes to the compressor, and the compressor clutch pulled in.

So at this stage, it loos like the Compressor Relay in the little Square relay box is not getting 12 volts, only around 6v.

Any Ideas where to go from here?

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Sounds like you need a volt multiplier, I reckon a X2 should be about the right size!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Resident

Steve, the coil of the compressor relay is negative switched i.e. it has a permanent 12V on one side, and the other side is switched by a solid state device.

Which side of the coil did you measure the 6.5V, and what voltage was on the other side?

Are you 100% certain that you have sufficient gas? A simple pressure switch isn't sufficiently complicated for modern vehicles - they needed to make it harder. The schematics show the gas pressure sensor is a three wire device - +5V from the A/C ECU, grounded via the ECU, and the third line is presumably a pressure signal. If the signal wire is high, is that good or bad?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Steve, the coil of the compressor relay is negative switched i.e. it has a permanent 12V on one side, and the other side is switched by a solid state device.

Which side of the coil did you measure the 6.5V, and what voltage was on the other side?

Are you 100% certain that you have sufficient gas? A simple pressure switch isn't sufficiently complicated for modern vehicles - they needed to make it harder. The schematics show the gas pressure sensor is a three wire device - +5V from the A/C ECU, grounded via the ECU, and the third line is presumably a pressure signal. If the signal wire is high, is that good or bad?
Thanks Scott and Dave.
Scott, as you know, I find it easier to turn a lump of wood into a mirror than understand these electrical/ electronic things, but I measured the 4 plugs of the relay socket.
One had 12v, itís paired partner had 0v. By poking 12v in there, it activated the compressor Clutch.

The other pair, which I will call the coil pair, one had 6.5v and itís partner had 0v.

I also tested the coil by putting 12v to one side on the relay and earthing the other and I could feel it pulling in.

It appear to me that the coil of the relay should be getting 12v but itís only getting 6.5 and this is not enough to activate the coil in the relay. I donít understand how itís getting 6.5v. I would have thought it would be 12v or nothing.

Steve.