Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 22-01-19

Default NS whining noise on right turns

Hi, my 2008 VRX with 120,000km is making a whining/whirring noise which is barely noticeable when driving straight but as soon as I hit a hard right (or the second half of going straight at a roundabout, for example) the noise gets very loud and appears to be coming from the front left of the vehicle.

I used to get a similar sound of road noise at 80kmh from my old A/T tyres but have since changed to H/T which fixed that problem. I don't know if the noise I'm getting now is also a tyre related noise but if so, why only on one side? If it's a bearing wouldn't it be noticeable anytime the vehicle is moving? Could it be the diff? I've not noticed any changes in the steering or handling, but could it still be a power steering issue? Not being the most knowledgable with mechanical things I am not likely to get to the bottom of this without a lot of help.

I had the front discs replaced a couple of months ago and nothing was mentioned or identified by the mechanic. Other than that the only work done to the car in the 18 months since I bought it is a clean of the intake and installing a provent and fuel manager. I am planning a very long road trip at the end of this year and need to be sure the Paj is ready for it. Cheers for any help or advice you can give me.
Old 22-01-19

Have you jacked the front up and checked for play in the wheel grab top and bottom and wiggle worn bearing? Tyre would show signs of different wear if that was causing it e.g. looking different to the back ones scuffs, lipping or feathering have you checked diff oil in the front diff?? Could it possibly be CV on that side split boots not many klms but may have split boot and dried up just some suggestions does it do it going slow in a circle and have someone walk around it while moving slow to pin point it a bit more might even pay to check that there's not something stuck in the stone guard on the inside of the rotor I have a wired noise once due to a rock stuck there only happened when loading the left front turning on a sweeping corner
Old 22-01-19

Hi, I am wondering what this part is that I circled in these pics and what the cause might be for the left side to be rubbing more than the right, does this mean my suspension needs replacing? Could this be whats causing the noise when I make right turns? Might explain why changing tyres or adjusting pressures altered the sound a bit? Cheers

https://ibb.co/gwzDZpQ
https://ibb.co/p4HCGsf

Last edited by pagan13; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:56 PM. Reason: Better than starting a new thread
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I thought editing the post above would bump but I don't think it did. Can anyone help with what that part is or any advice, thanks
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Hi Pagan,

The rubber mounds you have circled are the suspension compression bumpstops.
Not sure if it is the angle of the photo but the front driveshafts look parallel to the ground, and I cannot see the exact clearance between the top of the bumpstop and the suspension nib where it contacts. Suspension could have sagged.
Measure centre of wheel hub to underside of wheel arch in a vertical line, factory measuremnt should be 500-505mm.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks old Jack that's really helpful, I just measured and its 475mm on the left and 480 on the right so it sounds like I'm well and truly in need of new suspension...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Hi Pagan,

Have you any added weight to the car, bullbar, rook rack, drawer system, aux battery etc etc?
Do you want a suspension lift or just return it to factory height?
Do you have a budget in mind?
Are you going to do the suspension yourself or pay someone?
What is the rear ride height?

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hi OJ, there is a bullbar on the front and a small onboard ARB compressor under the bonnet but no other accessories. The rear is 510mm on both sides.

I will look to have someone do the suspension for me, factory height will be fine as I don't tend to go off road a great deal. There's a guy here in WA offering to fit WCS springs and coils for $1250, is that a good option?

Cheers