• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

How about this one......

2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
      How about this one......

https://youtu.be/_ix7ZgsWTMg
      There goes the holiday.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        How about this one......

https://youtu.be/_ix7ZgsWTMg
        That is scary because I have exactly the same caravan. I also find it interesting that the van did not explode when it tipped over. I have seen many sites where obviously the van broke up - possessions and effects everywhere, and nothing but a chassis remaining. My van has now done just short of 200000 km and whilst I would hope to be immune from events such as these, I am still very cautious when driving the van anywhere.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

Originally posted by erad View Post
          That is scary because I have exactly the same caravan. I also find it interesting that the van did not explode when it tipped over. I have seen many sites where obviously the van broke up - possessions and effects everywhere, and nothing but a chassis remaining. My van has now done just short of 200000 km and whilst I would hope to be immune from events such as these, I am still very cautious when driving the van anywhere.
          scarey as, that is why I have never even been interested in getting a van.
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• conquistador
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • sth east queensland

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
            Saw this on Facebook, they were saying the van exceeded the towing weight. Not sure if it was true or not. Its hard to tell if the Paj crashed and broke the tow bar or if the tow bar broke causing the Paj to crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Am i seeing this correct in photo 2. The hitch pin is still in place? Therefore has ripped through the receiver?

Comment

• vladguan
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
              Am i seeing this correct in photo 2. The hitch pin is still in place? Therefore has ripped through the receiver?
              No. The receiver broke off. You can see the retaining bolt just left of the pin in photo 2.
              Please call me Vlad.
              -----------------------
              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

And, apart from everything else already mentioned, that hitch is way too long.

People use those long shank hitches to try to move the ball away from the spare, without realising the leverage effect of moving the load so far out. With the WDH it's no wonder that the receiver broke off.
                Chris

Comment

• conquistador
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • sth east queensland

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                  No. The receiver broke off. You can see the retaining bolt just left of the pin in photo 2.
                  Either way thats a shed load of force.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

I put the picture of the towing hitch into another program, and attempted to scale its length (presuming the width of the hitch is 50mm).

1. From broken end of hitch receiver (where it let go) to ball is approximately 500mm.
                    2. Guesstimating where the ball would sit with a normal hitch, that would be 200 to 250mm from the point it broken end.
                    3. So the point at which the hitch receiver broke would've been subject to 2 to 2.5 times the "normal" ball weight.

I'm not suggesting this caused the accident - as others have stated, we don't know what happened, so we can only speculate. But that hitch arrangement was a failure waiting to happen.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• conquistador
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • sth east queensland

I might be missing something but i would think if your in a tank slapper and then nail a guard rail with 2+ tonne at some angle something is going to give?

Looking at the youtube video of the lightish van overtaking the truck. Could i be so bold to suggest a heavier van (or with one with less surface area) may not have been disturbed so much?

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • doncaster east vic

Bigger pic if your interested

Back from the Dark side
                        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
                          I might be missing something but i would think if your in a tank slapper and then nail a guard rail with 2+ tonne at some angle something is going to give?

Looking at the youtube video of the lightish van overtaking the truck. Could i be so bold to suggest a heavier van (or with one with less surface area) may not have been disturbed so much?
                          Your answer may be here!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Hill
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Chances are there is not one single contributing factor to this failure, more likely its is a combination of factors over a period of time so that when the towbar was put under extreme loads it failed.
                            I believe the following factors are all possible contributes;
                            1. Extra length shank on towbar tongue.
                            2. WDH that is compensating for more than the tow bar downloads.
                            3. Caravan that has weight distribution incorrect so there is too much weight too far rear of the axle.
                            I suspect the tow bar has been cracked for sometime and this is why this failed rather than the coupling.
                            4. Tow ball downloads near or exceeding max limits.

Lucky escape for those involved and a good thing no-one else happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Both caravan manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers are to blame for selling the "dangerous dream" of a portable house on wheels!

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• RoyHarvey
                              • Mar 2008
                              • Adelaide

WDH loading

Given there a a lot of high load (250kg+) WDH bars in use, and the failure rate appears to be relatively low, it is reasonable suggest the failures are due to some anomaly in the application.

I suggest that shouldn't obscure the fact that WDH systems apply huge additional loads to the hitch system.

Take a simple example of a 250kg max tow ball load tow bar, now apply a caravan having a 250kg max ball weight, no problem all complies, until a 250kg WDH is applied causing the down force on the caravan coupling causing it to be doubled to 500kg.

Now drive though a spoon drain, like you might encounter entering or leaving a servo, and the WDH loading will increase to as much as double, applying 750kg download on the coupling with the resultant reactionary forces being transferred to the vehicle tow bar.

If you use a WDH please be aware of the additional stresses they apply.
                              2016 NX Pajero GLX
                              Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• PradoEater
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2012
                                • Oatley

Where receiver broke looks like there is a hole for a pin perhaps to adjust the length of the hitch so rear door of pajero opens up a bit more

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
                                Bigger pic if your interested

NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
                                Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X