• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron2503
    • Dec 2017
    • Alex Hills

Originally posted by klaash View Post
    Hi Folks,

I was just wondering has any good ideas for auxiliary fuel tanks that I've missed.

I've come up with the following:

Replace normal tank with ~110l tank (e.g. Brown Davis or ARB). For the BD I've been quoted $1085 + $200 freight + $550 fitting + $650 for the mod plate. I'd happily fit it but they said they wouldn't do the mod plate in that case... So a total of $2485 if I do it legally. $1285 if I do it myself. But given potential insurance issues etc. I don't think I'm game to risk it.

I also rang up about the Long Ranger 44l tank. $1800 for just the tank!

It seems I might have to make do with jerry cans...

Any thoughts?
    That does sound very expensive. 2 years ago I had an Outback Accessories 112L LRT (I believe it's the same as the BD tank) installed, with compliance plate, for $1600.
    2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
    Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
    Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by klaash View Post
      Thanks for clarifying! On further search the Vic guidelines seem to be an excerpt from the National Code of Practice: https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ve.../vsb_ncop.aspx

It lists "Fitting an additional or replacement fuel tank " under "Modifications that may be certified" so no sneaky loophole there.

Jerry Cans it is.
      I have read and written rules and policy documents as a part of my occupation for the last 43 years.
      The intent of the wording is very critical in its intereptation.
      VSB-14 NCOP9 clearly states that "Modifications that may be certified."
      If certification was compulsory it would be worded as "shall or must be" certified.

My reading of NCOP 9 is that the only certification required is when the capacity of the replacement tank is 125% or greater, than the original tank capacity, then inspection and certification is required to ensure the tank mounting points on the vehicle are strong enough. From an inspection and certification point of view, you would weigh the empty factory tank, weigh the empty replacement tank and add this weight on to the total fuel capacity to get the gross fuel tank weight. Once this is know it is a simple series of calculations to check if the attaching hardware and the chassis structure is strong enough. Regretfully most automotive engineers that do certification tend to over engineer things to a ridiculous point without fully understand the dynamic forces involved, especially in regards to chassis flex and vibration fatigue and this can actually cause structural failures.

Taking all of the approve into consideration, a lightweight flexible plastic tank is the obvious smart choice rather that a heavy rigid steel tank.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• ger08
        • Jan 2014
        • Perth

I’ve just been through the whole process of choosing a LR tank and ended up with the ARB Frontier tank. $1515 installed. No mention of any need to compliance plate from any of the dealers I spoke to here in WA.

Comment

• hardie
          • Jul 2010
          • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by ger08 View Post
          I’ve just been through the whole process of choosing a LR tank and ended up with the ARB Frontier tank. $1515 installed. No mention of any need to compliance plate from any of the dealers I spoke to here in WA.
          where you have it installed ? I

Comment

• ger08
            • Jan 2014
            • Perth

Originally posted by hardie View Post
            where you have it installed ? I
            ARB Wangara

Comment

• denisp
              • Dec 2018
              • Mt Eliza

Without the LR tank you have to fill more often, not a real problem.
              For us, we would only need a LR tank when towing the caravan when fuel burning gets serious.
              But we can put 2x 20lt jerry cans on the caravan A frame stowages and get the same effect as a long range tank.
              It is more of a precautionary thing as last long trip we only used on jerry can full and that was for peace of mind.

Denis

Comment

When we travel we have 2x20ltrs Gerry on the rear bar of the caravan, which is perfectly legal. Planning a trip next year for 4 months. Taking the rear seats out saves about 50kgs and putting extra 2x20ltr cans when we go to the outback. Only filling them when we need them. That will even the payload. We run pretty close normally towing 2400kgs. For information only. Cheers

Comment

• ger08
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Perth

Finally bit the bullet and got the ARB Frontier tank installed. No mention of any compliance plate needed here in WA. It will certainly give us a decent range when we are towing.

Comment

• skyehelmsman
                    • Feb 2020
                    • MELBOURNE

Lr tanks

Poly Diesel Tank 58 Litre Vertical or Flat available to buy online, shipped anywhere in Australia. View full specs, features, buying guides and more here. Zip & AfterPay available

For those of us who Travel as a couple only,and can use the passenger area by removing the second row seats,more possibilities for storage are available.There are poly diesel tanks in all shapes and sizes,at reasonable prices.one could then carry additional fuel reasonably low,and between the axles.
                    I wonder about venting,filling and an extra fuel pump,gauges etc,but a foot well tank ,or one where seats would be seems feasible.
                    Experiences?
                    Thoughts from others more experienced than myself?

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

When I designed and built the rear storage system go my PB Challenger I made provision for 2x 42litre vertical tanks that fit over the wheel arches.
                      The quick, convenient way to extend your vehicles range without any major modifications or large expense! BOAB Poly Diesel Tanks are a ‘drop in’ installation with a simple gravity fuel feed. Poly Diesel Tank 42 Lt Vertical with wheel arch cut-outs. (Dual Cab ute or Wagon Mounting).The brass outlet fitting is 1/2″ BSPT

However when I got around to building the storage system that replaces the rear seats I changed my mind and decided on 10litre plastic jerry cans, I can carry up to 13 so that's 130 litres + the 70 litre factory tank, is the 200 litres I would need to do a CSR.

I only use this extra capacity on remote trips every second year or two so the inconvenience of filling and emptying jerries is no big deal but if I was towing a needed extended fuel range regularly then my choice would be a poly replacement tank.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        ... I can carry up to 13 so that's 130 litres + the 70 litre factory tank...
                        Yet you only took 130 total across the Simpson.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          Yet you only took 130 total across the Simpson.
                          Yes and I only needed 126 litres!
                          Yes it was cutting it too fine but I was in good company, both had plenty of spare diesel.

OJ.

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            ... I was in good company
                            Really? Did we meet them?
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• denisp
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Mt Eliza

We tow a caravan and fuel use is a lot higher.
                              Rather than larger fuel tank, we carry 2 X 20l Jerry cans either side of the front tool box on the caravan.
                              A little heavy to lift out full and then got to add the spout before pouring.
                              Decided to buy a small 12v diesel transfer pump and bowser style spout off EBay for about $120 delivered.
                              If I fit an Anderson plug on the end I can power the pump from the portable solar socket on the A frame.
                              Just remove the cap of the Jerry can whilst still in the cradle and drop in the suction hose with its end filter. Switch on at the pump and use the fuel spout to transfer the fuel to the vehicles fuel tank.
                              At 45l/min will transfer from the Jerry cans in no time.
                              Just working out weatherproof permanent storage for the pump and that will do us.
                              Denis

Comment

• nj swb
                                Resident
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

Originally posted by denisp View Post
                                We tow a caravan and fuel use is a lot higher.
                                Rather than larger fuel tank, we carry 2 X 20l Jerry cans either side of the front tool box on the caravan.
                                A little heavy to lift out full and then got to add the spout before pouring.
                                Decided to buy a small 12v diesel transfer pump and bowser style spout off EBay for about $120 delivered.
                                If I fit an Anderson plug on the end I can power the pump from the portable solar socket on the A frame.
                                Just remove the cap of the Jerry can whilst still in the cradle and drop in the suction hose with its end filter. Switch on at the pump and use the fuel spout to transfer the fuel to the vehicles fuel tank.
                                At 45l/min will transfer from the Jerry cans in no time.
                                Just working out weatherproof permanent storage for the pump and that will do us.
                                Denis
                                Good idea!

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X