X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ActionDan
    • Apr 2019
    • Yackandandah

I'm talking about stock clearance and I'm also not really fussed about tank sizes (68 vs 88 I think?) There's no big overland trips in my future.

Comment

• ActionDan
      • Apr 2019
      • Yackandandah

Went driving today. GLS PS and GLS NX Paj.

PS seems smaller all over, the centre console jamming in my leg is annoying as heck, seats and driving position are good as is general comfort but can't position my legs where I like due to console and mega door handle. Handling was not what I consider great, lots of body roll, good brakes though.

Looking at rear tether sports annoys me as the straps would be in my vision at all times.

Pajero has more comfortable seating position, but not telescopic adjustment. Honestly it felt more grunty and responsive even with 3 less gears. More roomy all round but a bit noisier and old tech with that dot matrix display up top.

Economy is worse in Pan, 10L per hundred over my mini test route vs under 9 for the PS.

If I absolutely had to choose one of those it would be the NX I think.

I think I'll do my some more research and test a few other makes, I'm not sold yet.

Comment

• gumbs
        • Jul 2015
        • Brisbane

I had a similar thought process to you on the roof mounted seat tethers when I bought my challenger, but honestly you don't really notice them. It was one of the major factors leading me towards a mux but I couldn't justify the cost and went for the challenger instead and I haven't been bothered by it at all.

Also don't discount the value of rear Ac if you regularly have rear passengers. The Ac in both the paj sport and challenger is pathetic for rear passengers and they really need the rear Ac system they only fit to 7 seaters if you live anywhere hot.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by ActionDan View Post
          I think I'll do my some more research and test a few other makes, I'm not sold yet.
          Absolutely!

Also take some time for your impressions to "settle", and return to test any or all vehicles again, preferably in a different order. See if your first impressions are reinforced, test if any minor issues may have been exaggerated in your memories.

For most of us, a new car is a huge investment with which we must live for years. Take as much time as you need to make the right decision.

If you get to the point where you can't choose, flip a coin. If there isn't a clear choice after much due diligence, any decision is equally likely to lead to regret, or happiness - so once you hit that stage, leave it to chance.

BTW, if you flip the coin and are disappointed by the outcome, that's also a significant result.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ActionDan
            • Apr 2019
            • Yackandandah

Both models I drove had AC in second row which is all I need.

3rd row will never be used/get removed.

The centre console hitting my leg is easily the biggest issue

Comment

• ActionDan
              • Apr 2019
              • Yackandandah

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Absolutely!

Also take some time for your impressions to "settle", and return to test any or all vehicles again, preferably in a different order. See if your first impressions are reinforced, test if any minor issues may have been exaggerated in your memories.

For most of us, a new car is a huge investment with which we must live for years. Take as much time as you need to make the right decision.

If you get to the point where you can't choose, flip a coin. If there isn't a clear choice after much due diligence, any decision is equally likely to lead to regret, or happiness - so once you hit that stage, leave it to chance.

BTW, if you flip the coin and are disappointed by the outcome, that's also a significant result.
              I've used this method before. Coin flip and then if disappointed you know.

I might go back and do MUX again and also try an older Prado in the same second hand price range.

Comment

• ron2503
                • Dec 2017
                • Alex Hills

I've used this method before. Coin flip and then if disappointed you know.

I might go back and do MUX again and also try an older Prado in the same second hand price range.
                What I found when deciding was that all the vehicles I had short listed had a compromise of one sort or another. It came down to which compromise I could live with or do something about.
                2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• gumbs
                  • Jul 2015
                  • Brisbane

Both models I drove had AC in second row which is all I need.

3rd row will never be used/get removed.

The centre console hitting my leg is easily the biggest issue
                  By rear Ac I meant 2nd row Ac which they only include on the 7 seaters. Most of the 5 seats only have dash and under the front
                  seat (which gets blocks if you store anything under your seats.

Comment

• ActionDan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Yackandandah

Originally posted by gumbs View Post
                    By rear Ac I meant 2nd row Ac which they only include on the 7 seaters. Most of the 5 seats only have dash and under the front
                    seat (which gets blocks if you store anything under your seats.
                    Ahh ok good to know.

It seems I'm not alone in my disliking of the middle console bit.

Lots of people telling me to sit further back and more straight legged, not understanding this is not a comfortable position for me, but also plenty of people saying a new shape would be fantastic.

I had a quick look and it appears the silver piece is just the top of the console and the overall wide shape is part of the lower console portion as well so I assume it would be a decent job to change.

Comment

• craigw
                      • Feb 2011
                      • sydney

Ahh ok good to know.

It seems I'm not alone in my disliking of the middle console bit.

Lots of people telling me to sit further back and more straight legged, not understanding this is not a comfortable position for me, but also plenty of people saying a new shape would be fantastic.

I had a quick look and it appears the silver piece is just the top of the console and the overall wide shape is part of the lower console portion as well so I assume it would be a decent job to change.
                      I just took mine on its first trip 1800km highway and dirt roads
                      Went brilliantly .comfortable .quite and 7.8 kml/100 .Im only 5.10 and well rounded and had no problem with the padded centre console .actually found it a good support for my leg .
                      Comming from my pb challenger its a big step up in comfort .cant see how you would cough up the extra -$$ for a prado .everest or similar
                      Love that car
                      2011 Ls Manual , Cooper ST 265/70/17 , Tough Dog Suspension, Safari Snorkel
                      2018 Pajero Sport GLS 5 Pirelli scorpion ATR plus 265/65 18

Comment

• ActionDan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Yackandandah

Spent some time in top spec MUX yesterday then went straight to Mitsubishi to sit in PS and Paj, couldn't drive them as i ran out of time (Isuzu dealer just wouldn't stop talking).

Takeaways, in my opinion -

MUX has better;

- Throttle response and low down torque. PS feels breathless of boost in comparison. iDrive can help a bit here.
                        - Driver space for legs and cabin "feel" in terms of airiness.
                        - Better child support setup in second row, anchor points behind seats instead of roof.
                        - Visibility behind me, PS struck me has having poor head check visibility.

MUX has worse;

- NVH, it's really a ute/truck and it's noisy and rolls around like one. PS had surprising body roll also but a bit less than MUX and is much quieter in going about it.
                        - General interior feel/quality isn't as good.
                        - Drivetrain, no locking centre diff, no rear diff lock available at all.

After sitting in PS again, with padded centre console, I just couldn't live it it. I sat in different positions etc and for me to be comfortable I would need to cut a chunk out of that console section. I'm also very wary of the 8spd trans, given it's not used anywhere else. The MUX box is at least used in another make (Toyota) and has been in service for a fair while.

I love the gadgets and general comfort of the PS, but that means very little if im uncomfortable in the car.

Currently Pajero is winning my vote as the best compromise between all 3.

Next step is test drive with the wife, she picks up on different things.

Comment

• ActionDan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Yackandandah

To add more to this for others going through the same journey.

Have now driven Fortuner and Prado as well.

If you do not like the body roll and lag of the PajSport, you might like the Fortuner (ignoring PRado as it's not in this catagory).

Just be aware of widely reported DPF issues (on many other TD cars I might add) and timing chain issues on the 2.8 diesel.

Next step is test drives with the missus (Fortuner and Pajero), still cannot believe Pajero is ticking most of the boxes 0_0

Comment

• bennyb29
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • Brisbane

Next step is test drives with the missus (Fortuner and Pajero), still cannot believe Pajero is ticking most of the boxes 0_0
                            I am not one bit surprised with the last statement. Have heard this from many people who swayed with the Prado and Toyota badge never looked at a Pajero. However, once they did, it didnt take long to make them realise how much more value the Pajero offers for lot less!

Between the PS and the Pajero.. i know about 3 people who own the PS while i own the Pajero. All of them say that if not for the relative modern interiors/features of the PS, they would have gotten the Pajero. All of them use their cars for mid level offroading and more as tourers/family wagons.
                            Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• ActionDan
                              • Apr 2019
                              • Yackandandah

Prado is far too expensive vs my preferred budget, Fortuner sits in the budget though.

It's more the known issues that concern me with the Fortuner.

I guess I can DPF delete the Fortuner and make sure it's had the timing chain done (as I'd be looking at end of warranty cars in the budget), but who knows what else will go wrong in the next 100ks that people are yet to see?

Pajero just seems more proven and reliable for the money, except the lack of modern features and perhaps noisier ride.

Comment

• orthodoxs
                                • Mar 2018
                                • Darwin

Prado is far too expensive vs my preferred budget, Fortuner sits in the budget though.

It's more the known issues that concern me with the Fortuner.

I guess I can DPF delete the Fortuner and make sure it's had the timing chain done (as I'd be looking at end of warranty cars in the budget), but who knows what else will go wrong in the next 100ks that people are yet to see?

Pajero just seems more proven and reliable for the money, except the lack of modern features and perhaps noisier ride.
                                I think, you can't do a DPF delete, can only do a EGR delete, both are different processes. If you add a catch can in the EGR circuit it may decrease the particulate load and soot in the DPF. Maybe there is also, a way to manually trigger a DPF burn in the fortuner and save the DPF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X